EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Lexus 12 volt system is a big concern

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-24, 07:20 PM
GaryGlick
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus 12 volt system is a big concern

What happened.

Pull my NX 450 H+ in the back yard in EV moded with no issues or warnings. Shut off EV mode, opened doors, vacuumed car for about 10 minutes, shut doors with me inside, tried to start EV mode and won't. ALL ELECTRICAL WERE SHUT OFF. Doors would not open, all wheels locked up and hatch would not open. I was locked in the car for 45 minutes. I called Lexus road side assistance and they said to call 911 because they didn't know how to get me out of the car, I even called the dealership and they didn't know either. I finely figured it out by myself without breaking anything. Then it took me a bunch of phone calls to figure out how to get at least the EV mode working. 8 and 10 volts weren't strong enough. Finally jumped it with a car to the positive post in the fuse box. It took about 45 minutes. Then opened the hatch and charged the battery with a 6 volt battery charger.

I DON'T WANT TO GO THROUGH THAT AGAIN. No warning and no easy fix.

So I need to battery health monitoring and maintenance suggestions

- Does anybody know a good 12 volt car battery health app for cell phone
- If the car goes dead what amperage portable charger do I need. My guess is at least100 amps
Old 05-07-24, 08:26 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Don't you just pull the door handle instead of pushing it to get out of the car? I know it's an electronic release, but the front doors have the built in emergency pull. That's the problem with having emergency roadside being a 3rd party answering service, they don't know anything about the cars
Old 05-07-24, 08:35 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 890 Likes on 712 Posts

I wasn't going to say anything but ya'll have to admit it's a little funny to lock oneself inside their car. Haha 🤓
Old 05-07-24, 08:50 AM
GaryGlick
6th Gear

On this Lexus there is no door handle to pull. There is a slightly hidden level under the door arm rest. It took me awhile to find it. I pulled it hard and it rotated out and nothing happened. I didn't want to break it but I finally gave up and pulled it really hard and it rotated out farther and opened the door. You would think that the Lexus company or dealer would be able to tell you how to get out of the car. My wife and daughter where both calling also and couldn't find out either. On a more serious not and lady a tesla ended up in water, electrical shut down and couldn't get out.
Old 05-07-24, 09:03 AM
GaryGlick
6th Gear

Yes, It is a story now. The battery was good one moment and not the next. The Lexus dealer checked that battery and said it was good. I this case the battery must have been low on charge and the electronics take alot of power. So with the doors open and I had the key Fob which both require power to not allow the electronics to start. Then it took me a long time to figure out how to jump start the electronics without access to the 12 volt battery. I tired a 6 amp battery tender for about an hour and it was not powerful enough to get passed the cars electrical draw. So I tired it with a car jump. It still took 20 to 30 minutes to get passed the cars electrical needs. And another funny thing the cars electronics started working but I couldn't drive it. It took another 5 to 10 minutes for the wheels to unlock. Then I drove it directly to the dealer.
Old 05-07-24, 09:19 AM
Lead Lap

Received 765 Likes on 515 Posts

This belongs to the RX forum. There is already a thread on battery drain. You can set the infotainment screen to not ‘pre-warm’ to save battery drain and install a bigger battery.

But yes, e-latch is a stupid system. Just a fad that will go away.
Old 05-07-24, 09:46 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,479 Posts

I know this belongs in the RX forum... but wtf? My Model Y also has a button open electronic latch, but it has a manual release as well in case of emergencies. Maybe I'm missing something here... but isn't that a safety hazard?
Old 05-08-24, 07:55 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I know this belongs in the RX forum... but wtf? My Model Y also has a button open electronic latch, but it has a manual release as well in case of emergencies. Maybe I'm missing something here... but isn't that a safety hazard?
There is a manual release. The new Lexus cars have that push button to exit, but if you pull it, it will act as a door pull release. If I remember correctly. the front doors even have a label on that release button to inform owners of how to get out in case of emergency

Looking more closely, they even have that little arrow diagram telling you to pull the lever

The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (05-08-24)
Old 05-08-24, 08:58 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
There is a manual release. The new Lexus cars have that push button to exit, but if you pull it, it will act as a door pull release. If I remember correctly. the front doors even have a label on that release button to inform owners of how to get out in case of emergency

Looking more closely, they even have that little arrow diagram telling you to pull the lever
Excellent. So we can chop this down to driver error 🤣
Old 05-08-24, 10:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,431 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Excellent. So we can chop this down to driver error 🤣
expression is usually chalk this down but chop away
Old 05-08-24, 10:17 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
expression is usually chalk this down but chop away
I fully blame it on autocorrect....
Old 05-08-24, 10:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Gary, sorry for the traumatic experience but let me google that for you.

Old 05-08-24, 10:27 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 622 Likes on 432 Posts

^^ I've found YT and Reddit to be much more helpful than the average support or salesperson
Old 05-08-24, 12:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allen K
^^ I've found YT and Reddit to be much more helpful than the average support or salesperson
and they wonder why AI will replace jobs.
Old 05-08-24, 08:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
no kidding. i go to those places to find common sense answers a lot of times.

i am very surprised lexus support was not able to tell you about the manual latch right away. owners not reading the user manual is one thing but lexus support should be able to inform customers about this immediately. that's a big fail on their side imo

Quick Reply: Lexus 12 volt system is a big concern