IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Auto folding mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-24, 12:27 PM
OCJACKAL
Pit Crew

Received 120 Likes on 32 Posts

well it moves back automatically when i shut the car off and moves to the usual spot when i start it, but I haven't checked the other preset seat buttons...
The following users liked this post:
Lex_Giorgio (01-28-24)
Old 02-16-24, 05:55 PM
Oreos
8th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been doing some research on part numbers, because I want to see if there are better and cheaper options to do this. $250 per mirror is a little steep for a gamble on it's functionality and features such as memory, in my opinion.

With that said, I first used Amayama to see if I could source the actuator right from Japan. Unfortunately, neither the actuator nor the entire assembly are available. So I decided to see if the Japanese actuator had a specific part number, separate from the US one. No luck being able to confirm, as I've found ambiguity in overlap. Descriptions say things like "Japan built".

However, I did find out that the same exact style of side view mirrors used on the ES 300 are used on the IS models on the premium model with folding. Can anyone confirm or deny this? If so, I feel like this may be a cheaper way to simply source the components.
Old 02-16-24, 07:22 PM
OCJACKAL
Pit Crew

Received 120 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Oreos
I've been doing some research on part numbers, because I want to see if there are better and cheaper options to do this. $250 per mirror is a little steep for a gamble on it's functionality and features such as memory, in my opinion.

With that said, I first used Amayama to see if I could source the actuator right from Japan. Unfortunately, neither the actuator nor the entire assembly are available. So I decided to see if the Japanese actuator had a specific part number, separate from the US one. No luck being able to confirm, as I've found ambiguity in overlap. Descriptions say things like "Japan built".

However, I did find out that the same exact style of side view mirrors used on the ES 300 are used on the IS models on the premium model with folding. Can anyone confirm or deny this? If so, I feel like this may be a cheaper way to simply source the components.

Yes the premium ES300 does have power folding mirrors.. but they aren't cheap if you buy state side.. def more than the 300.00 I spent for the pair on the site listed in this thread..Also, I was working on sorting out if its a module that allows for the AUTO power folding or if its actual programming in the computer... I actually went to the dealership today and asked about the module for an ES300 and they are like 435.00 each side, and not returnable if they dont work for me.. So thats not a route I want to go.. The part number they provided me is 8943006090 for the driver sided and 8943006100 for the passenger side.. List price is 501.72 so that was at a discount LOL.... Here is the link of my install located in the IS500 thread... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...g-mirrors.html

Last edited by OCJACKAL; 02-16-24 at 07:25 PM. Reason: forgot to link other thread...
Old 02-17-24, 02:19 PM
Oreos
8th Gear

Originally Posted by OCJACKAL
Yes the premium ES300 does have power folding mirrors.. but they aren't cheap if you buy state side.. def more than the 300.00 I spent for the pair on the site listed in this thread..Also, I was working on sorting out if its a module that allows for the AUTO power folding or if its actual programming in the computer... I actually went to the dealership today and asked about the module for an ES300 and they are like 435.00 each side, and not returnable if they dont work for me.. So thats not a route I want to go.. The part number they provided me is 8943006090 for the driver sided and 8943006100 for the passenger side.. List price is 501.72 so that was at a discount LOL.... Here is the link of my install located in the IS500 thread... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...g-mirrors.html
Very interesting. I just did a quick search of a local dealer I use that discounts heavily, and I'm seeing $327 for each module. Still expensive, yes. I wonder if there's options on searching the used market. I will continue to search.

Lucky finding a pair, and an amazing price, though! I was searching on that Japanese site last night, and could only find singles, and each is priced near $250.
Old 02-17-24, 08:35 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Oreos

The cheapest option is to just buy the motor and add it your current mirrors, you'd have to find the right part for the IS, but it should look like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/134491893507
The following users liked this post:
Oreos (02-18-24)
Old 05-08-24, 02:32 PM
Oreos
8th Gear

I'm bringing this one back from the dead, because I've had some time to get through some other mods before I tackle this one.

Originally Posted by Lex_Giorgio
The cheapest option is to just buy the motor and add it your current mirrors, you'd have to find the right part for the IS, but it should look like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/134491893507
I looked into this further, and since I'm quite sure that the ES300 uses the same mirrors, I've targeted the motor for that model, which I've found here for $80 each:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/196318513186

However, if I wanted to buy the entire assembly, that option is also available. Unfortunately, the pricing is about the same as buying a JDM one for an IS at $365 each:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166093927554

Originally Posted by OCJACKAL
Secondly, I looked into your thread, and I thank you for going through this, and I'm wondering if US-based side-view mirrors would alleviate some of the issues with the mirror angles you're having. Nevertheless, I was more interested in determining whether or not the auto-fold function could work, so I cam across some module kits that add this functionality not only to an ES, but also 3IS's. See below:

These appear to be available on AliExpress:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802475059965.html

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804859092012.html

First things first: I will try ordering one of the motors and window switches, and try to disassemble my stock housing. I will have to wait for that to come in, along with getting some time to install them. To be continued..
Old 05-09-24, 10:32 AM
LEXU5
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

look fwd to it Oreos as I'm interested in getting power folding mirrors for my '24 IS350!
Old 05-09-24, 02:04 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

You guys are cracking your heads on this lol!

Info's here on how to do it (applies to any 3IS):
https://www.reddit.com/r/Lexus3ISinf...k_in_progress/
Old 05-10-24, 06:43 AM
Oreos
8th Gear

You guys are cracking your heads on this lol!

Info's here on how to do it (applies to any 3IS):
https://www.reddit.com/r/Lexus3ISinf...k_in_progress/
OCJACKAL already proved it earlier, as well. I'm simply going even further to see if, 1. this can be done with mirrors off a USDM ES300, as both a solution to the JDM angle of the mirrors, and as a cheaper alternative. Also, in that post, the OP is warning users not to use a module on vehicles that don't support it, but you can see it can be installed on EDM IS3's, as well as USDM ES300's, as shown in the video I provided, because those vehicles originally come with both the foldable mirrors and the switch from the factory.

Although, I do appreciate the detail of how the OP took apart the mirror, because I'll need that, and some extra info regarding the wiring. I'm doing this to a 21+ IS3 (this will also apply to IS500), and most of the components are the same as its predecessor, so I expect a lot of overlap.

Last edited by arentz07; 05-10-24 at 02:39 PM. Reason: moderator edit: I can barely read this with the color originally chosen. lol
Old 05-10-24, 07:03 AM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

I'm the OP on Reddit...

Neither of you listened to a damn thing lol!
Use your OEM mirrors and simply swap the motor over, nothing else.

If your ES motor fits, great!
If the base is slightly different, then you just wasted money or you're going to waste time to make it fit.

The DIY I wrote on reddit works for any 2014+ IS, the only variable is which factory switch are you installing with it (auto-fold or not).

Any ways, good luck!
Old 05-13-24, 12:33 PM
Oreos
8th Gear

I'm the OP on Reddit...

Neither of you listened to a damn thing lol!
Use your OEM mirrors and simply swap the motor over, nothing else.

If your ES motor fits, great!
If the base is slightly different, then you just wasted money or you're going to waste time to make it fit.

The DIY I wrote on reddit works for any 2014+ IS, the only variable is which factory switch are you installing with it (auto-fold or not).

Any ways, good luck!
Ah, you're the OP! Ok lol.

Question for you then: You alluded to the modules. Have you considered installing it, considering it does work on models that come with folding mirrors (JDM, EDM)?