LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What did you do to your LS430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-24, 05:25 PM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

I replaced the front and rear brake pads. We have a long road trip coming up and thought it would be best to do this now.

Good thing I did because I found a nail on one of the tires. I tried to have it patched but was recommended to replace the tire due to the amount of tread left and the location of the nail (it was in the corner near the side wall). I think we got ~40K miles on that Continental, and they were pretty close to the indication bar. I am considering Michelin CrossClimate 2 but have not decided what to buy.
Old 04-26-24, 11:16 AM
slightreturn
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Today I had an LS430 experience that made me sad. I was driving along in my '05 LS430; just had it detailed and it looks pretty doggone sharp! It's bone stock. Pulled up at a light next to a filthy silver LS430 with holes in the rear bumper cover, some wierdo antenna sticking up off the trunk, the ugliest black aftermarket wheels you ever saw, all gouged up, and some dreadlocked crack-addict-looking lady driving the thing. Skeevy as heck. Hate to see such a beautiful car ridden hard and hung up wet like that.
Old 04-26-24, 12:52 PM
daddykay24
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by slightreturn
Today I had an LS430 experience that made me sad. I was driving along in my '05 LS430; just had it detailed and it looks pretty doggone sharp! It's bone stock. Pulled up at a light next to a filthy silver LS430 with holes in the rear bumper cover, some wierdo antenna sticking up off the trunk, the ugliest black aftermarket wheels you ever saw, all gouged up, and some dreadlocked crack-addict-looking lady driving the thing. Skeevy as heck. Hate to see such a beautiful car ridden hard and hung up wet like that.
This is in the wrong place. But remember, everyone is not as fortunate and we all have different taste.

Last edited by daddykay24; 04-26-24 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-28-24, 03:18 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put a set of the Cross Climate II on my '06 LS430 about 10K miles ago and I have absolutely love them. Superb wet weather traction and really good in snow as well. I am as impressed with these tires as anything I have ever had.
Old 04-28-24, 07:58 PM
pmesfun
Advanced

Received 158 Likes on 105 Posts

Restoring a set of hyper silver 5 spokes. First test wheel went well up until I mistakenly until used rattle can 2X coverage clear. The silver got washed out in multiple places. The color is a little darker than the original finish which I prefer. My process is direct to metal 2K high build primer(finish in 600 grit), 2 coats of black base, and 1 coat of paint match low metallic silver only on the face, and finally will be using only 2K clear on the other 4 wheels.

Last edited by pmesfun; 04-29-24 at 09:11 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by pmesfun:
designdude (05-02-24), LatinLS430 (04-30-24)
Old 04-30-24, 07:35 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 414 Likes on 342 Posts

I bought a set of 17 inch 2005 LS430 wheels off of someone on Facebook Marketplace yesterday really cheap. Unfortunately they need to be refinished but it’s not a huge deal. I’ll probably get them powder coated silver.

I actually got them for my GS300 as it came with the OEM 16 inch 1992 SC400 wheels when I bought the car. I’ve been trying to get a set of these wheels for years locally, originally for my ES300. They will never get used on my LS430, but I now have a set of 16, 17, and 18 inch OEM LS430 wheels in my collection.
Old 05-02-24, 04:45 PM
designdude
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Restoring a set of hyper silver 5 spokes. First test wheel went well up until I mistakenly until used rattle can 2X coverage clear. The silver got washed out in multiple places. The color is a little darker than the original finish which I prefer. My process is direct to metal 2K high build primer(finish in 600 grit), 2 coats of black base, and 1 coat of paint match low metallic silver only on the face, and finally will be using only 2K clear on the other 4 wheels.
Pictures look great. I think these 5 spoke wheels highlight the car. The chrome version works for some colors, but for most the Hypersilver is friggin' elegant.

Some questions: What brand of paint did you use? Was it a kit? How long did each wheel take?

About 5 years ago, I repainted a few wheels using a kit from Pep Boys. It worked, kinda sorta. Didn't last, and the color didn't match the other OEM wheels. Then, a few years ago, I went to a local wheel shop and had four recoated. That finish has lasted, but it isn't really hyper silver, just a dark gray. And the spare in the trunk (with the OEM finish) doesn't match. I'd love to have a reliable way to keep all 5 wheels looking sharp.

Last edited by designdude; 05-02-24 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-02-24, 07:53 PM
pmesfun
Advanced

Received 158 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by designdude
Pictures look great. I think these 5 spoke wheels highlight the car. The chrome version works for some colors, but for most the Hypersilver is friggin' elegant.

Some questions: What brand of paint did you use? Was it a kit? How long did each wheel take?

About 5 years ago, I repainted a few wheels using a kit from Pep Boys. It worked, kinda sorta. Didn't last, and the color didn't match the other OEM wheels. Then, a few years ago, I went to a local wheel shop and had four recoated. That finish has lasted, but it isn't really hyper silver, just a dark gray. And the spare in the trunk (with the OEM finish) doesn't match. I'd love to have a reliable way to keep all 5 wheels looking sharp.
I took one wheel to the local paint supply and they color matched to a hyper silver wheel I brought. I got half a pint of black and half a pint of the color matched silver. I believe the brand was AkzoNobel Wandabase HS poleyester paint for Black and BeroBase for the silver. I used all of the black on one wheel since I sprayed the whole wheel and maybe 3 oz. of silver. They spent some time getting the right mix since their camera couldn't pick up the color since it needs a flat surface. I told them I prefer it being a little darker than the original finish and very low metallic. Overall, I am happy with the color, there is some shadow/transparent effect similar to the original finish. I did pick up a quart of another brand black poleyster paint online since its much cheaper than the local place and the TDS is similar. I plan to paint another wheel this weekend, this time I will wait 1.5 hours after the silver coat to apply 2K clear.

This is the mix for the silver.

Old 05-03-24, 11:46 AM
Allohakasin
8th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I picked up the LS from a shop today that I had try to find the source of an oil/ATF leak. Originally had wanted to replace the transmission pan and filter but under further review they just cleaned out the buildup everywhere and asked me to drive it around for the weekend. I am very suspicious that the power steering fluid is the issue, right where the reservoir feeds into the pump. Alternator is covered in grime as well.

I also received my OE replacement rims today! I am keeping the stock 16" rims but will be fitting these 18" ones for general use. They are the 5 spoke OE style that came on the facelift UL, with the hyper black finish rather than the chrome.
Old Yesterday, 08:34 AM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Did an oil change with the new Valvoline oil. I'm also sending a sample of the old oil that was done by my local Lexus dealer. Not sure what kind of oil they use.

The following users liked this post:
Romanova (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:27 AM
TominPT
Instructor

Received 216 Likes on 171 Posts

LatinLS430, if you get your lab results back post them along with how many miles on the oil and how many miles on the car.
By the way, I notice that the bottle says "restore and protect". I am using a Mobil 1 full synthetic + a little seafoam and a little Marvel Mys. oil in my LS400 starting when I bought the car a year ago (146K miles) after it had not had frequent oil changes by the previous owner. I am seeing really good results so far after 6K miles and 3 oil changes - the initial smoke on startup I had when I bought it is gone and the mix I am using seems to be removing varnish but I can't be certain. I think the full synthetic has good cleaning properties.
Tharper1 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:36 AM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Originally Posted by TominPT
LatinLS430, if you get your lab results back post them along with how many miles on the oil and how many miles on the car.
By the way, I notice that the bottle says "restore and protect". I am using a Mobil 1 full synthetic + a little seafoam and a little Marvel Mys. oil in my LS400 starting when I bought the car a year ago (146K miles) after it had not had frequent oil changes by the previous owner. I am seeing really good results so far after 6K miles and 3 oil changes - the initial smoke on startup I had when I bought it is gone and the mix I am using seems to be removing varnish but I can't be certain. I think the full synthetic has good cleaning properties.
I sure will. The last oil change was done at 80,486 miles by Earnhardt Lexus and I did the oil change at 85,597. So 5k oil change.
Yes, I saw their new restore and protect add and I wanted to try it haha. I don't have any smoke or oil consumption so we'll see if I see any difference with this new Valvoline oil.
Old Yesterday, 03:20 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 727 Likes on 514 Posts

I get a Blackstone sample every oil change. Be warned, sometimes it can take up to a month to get the results but they haven't lost a sample yet.

LatinLS430 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:24 PM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Cool

Originally Posted by Romanova
I get a Blackstone sample every oil change. Be warned, sometimes it can take up to a month to get the results but they haven't lost a sample yet.
That's pretty cool! Can't wait to get my first analysis. Looks like you do your changes every 4500 miles or so?