Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: To bag or not to bag...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-12, 07:29 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts
Default POLL: To bag or not to bag...

Having a hard time deciding if i should go with air suspension on my car, so i turn to the forum to try and add to my pros and cons.

It's my only car, so it's daily driven 40 miles round trip. Currently on Megan EZ's and it's too low and I'm too stubborn to raise it up because it looks so good at this height, but my tires rub the fender liners on dips. I dont drive very aggressively anymore after the new wheels and drop, so if performance on air degrades I'm okay with it.

If i go air, it will be the Universal Air Suspension (UAS) front/back/side/side flagship kit, without any additional goodies like eLevel or touchpad switches, that would come later on after I've had it up and running a while. I would enjoy driving at a higher stance with Houston always having debris on the roads and bad roads in general, and parking extra low would look nice for home and the occasional car shows/meets.

So...in your opinion, is air a waste of money for me since i can just raise my coils in the front or should i just go all out and go air?

Current setup:
Old 04-19-12, 07:39 AM
kelzzz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

riiding on AIR u gonna love it trust me
Old 04-19-12, 09:02 AM
Gustavo250
Lexus Champion

I love AIR....way better for a daily driving
i was sitting low on coils

BUT nothing like AIR bags
Old 04-19-12, 09:14 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So what's the issue with rubbing the fender liner? What are you worried about there?there are plenty of people's that are torn up. I would rather paint my car for that money. Bags look good parked, that's about it. Too much $ to throw out for looking cool while parked IMO.

and remember........
Attached Thumbnails POLL: To bag or not to bag...-bags-are-for-groceries.jpg  

Last edited by Sffd103; 04-19-12 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-19-12, 09:16 AM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I say bags look good for parking, keep the coils. I know what ur saying about been lazy but do like me get someone to work on ur car
Old 04-19-12, 10:13 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sffd103
So what's the issue with rubbing the fender liner? What are you worried about there?there are plenty of people's that are torn up. I would rather paint my car for that money. Bags look good parked, that's about it. Too much $ to throw out for looking cool while parked IMO.
It's more so i havent relocated the bumper tab/bolt (lazy... i know), so my tire sidewall takes some abuse on dips on the freeway. My tires in front have rubbed through the liner in that area as well. And i know a lot of people have torn up fenders, and thats what I'm trying to avoid. Ive seen so many cars online that look amazing.. and between Houston and being at the Pursuit III in Cali, i cant say I'm jealous of a lot of the cars i once was. Their fenders look like trash So I'm trying to raise my car to avoid that, or get air to always be able to avoid it while still looking good for shows/meets/myself.

The comment on "bags look good parked" is where my hesitation lies...I dont know if i care enough to park on the ground opposed to not spending this amount of money. It will not be a paint jobs worth of cash, though. $2000 for the flagship FBSS UAS kit, plus install (although I'll be doing the majority myself) and possibly brackets to mount to my coils, although the vendor says they are included (and do work with Megan's).

Originally Posted by Gustavo250
I love AIR....way better for a daily driving
I think you just want my car to become even more of a twin of your car... haha

Thanks for the comments everyone, it's definitely a tough decision for me.

Last edited by heyarms; 04-19-12 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Errors, additional comments.
Old 04-19-12, 10:37 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Reason for bags:

*the good*
I was static for a very long time, i love being low but after i got bags im now able to go UP at will~ this is a good thing, at ramps/killer driveways/the 'known' dips and bumbs on the freeway~ i am now able to enter my local shopping center main entrance without having to go 'the back way'... There are many examples i can give~ but mostly its the ability to go ANYWHERE a low car cant thus no more taking round about ways to get wherever. AND i don't get those spine jarring BASH everytime i hit a bump.

*the bad*
No matter what any airbag rep/shop says about the dampening on the bag struts you CAN'T hang the turns like you can on coils while riding low, this doesn't mean you can't go fast you just can't hang like a race car anymore, i've lost 10-15mph at 'two hands on the wheels corners not quite sweaty palm speeds', you'll still be over the speedlimit thou... *i have fsport sways from sewell on order so i'll see if that helps*

Do i regret the loss of cornering speed? yes, feeling those G's is awesome and no because now im forced to drive more sanely and my gf no longer screams at me... also the convenience of being able to go up AT WILL is just a god send... The full slam while parked is just for showing off in shopping centers since you don't park full slam while in you're own garage so that part is just a bonus rather than the main reason to get air. Its about being able to go UP not down
Old 04-19-12, 10:44 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
Reason for bags:

*the good*
I was static for a very long time, i love being low but after i got bags im now able to go UP at will~ this is a good thing, at ramps/killer driveways/the 'known' dips and bumbs on the freeway~ i am now able to enter my local shopping center main entrance without having to go 'the back way'... There are many examples i can give~ but mostly its the ability to go ANYWHERE a low car cant thus no more taking round about ways to get wherever. AND i don't get those spine jarring BASH everytime i hit a bump.

*the bad*
No matter what any airbag rep/shop says about the dampening on the bag struts you CAN'T hang the turns like you can on coils while riding low, this doesn't mean you can't go fast you just can't hang like a race car anymore, i've lost 10-15mph at 'two hands on the wheels corners not quite sweaty palm speeds', you'll still be over the speedlimit thou... *i have fsport sways from sewell on order so i'll see if that helps*

Do i regret the loss of cornering speed? yes, feeling those G's is awesome and no because now im forced to drive more sanely and my gf no longer screams at me... also the convenience of being able to go up AT WILL is just a god send... The full slam while parked is just for showing off in shopping centers since you don't park full slam while in you're own garage so that part is just a bonus rather than the main reason to get air. Its about being able to go UP not down
I like the input here

Like i said, i dont mind not being able to drive a little crazy if i go bags, but what gives out being on bags making aggressive driving a bad idea or not an option? Do you run the risk of blowing a bag? Just curious what the main reason is.

I agree though, it's an option in my book more because the luxury to go UP and not have to avoid all the stores near me with their awful entrances.
Old 04-19-12, 10:46 AM
IS2FIFTY
Lead Lap

I say if you have the cash bag it ! I am considering bagging my car just for reason for being able to raise my car when I need to. I hate going places where I would mess up my car for being too low
Old 04-19-12, 11:49 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by heyarms
...but what gives out being on bags making aggressive driving a bad idea or not an option? Do you run the risk of blowing a bag? Just curious what the main reason is...
It's the body roll in the corner when low = rubbing, you can raise before the corner thou... but due to the roll you wont have that confidence you have when you're on coils. So~ in a 35mph corner that you could hang at 65 easy you need to slow down to 50~ you're not gonna dive into a corner with a LS like you would with a IS.
Old 04-19-12, 12:15 PM
kams229
Pole Position

I blew my bag due to ridding to low tire was rubbing on the bags when I turned had to order replacement rear bags took about 3 weeks to get other than that I absolutely love them
Old 04-19-12, 01:21 PM
steezy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What llama said lol

Judd you shouldve went with cusco
Old 04-19-12, 01:53 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

The bags topic is another one of those ever so funny topics. Similar to Automatic VS Manual threads.

People hate on bags becuase...

1) They have never used a system before, which is ironic because how can you hate on something youve never owned?

2) Because bags only look good for parked? - Why yes they do,and also when driving. Pair a UAS bag system with a coilover and the ride is very nice, and can be driven rather low. Dumping the car when parking is just an added LUXURY

3) They drive like a boat - This is true to an extent, it all depends on what struts you use. Paired with front / rear sway / chassis brace, the car will handle fairly well, but still will suffer a MINIMAL handling loss.

4) Switches are for B-----s ? - Grow up , quit hating

5) Too complicated, Leaks, etc... As long as the installation is done correctly, you should be fine. This can be compared to dumping to low, and risk blowing a shock.

6) Static FTW why yes you do roll static. Everybody drives at a STATIC height. With bags, you just have the added LUXURY of adjusting the height if necessary, similar to those higher end cars such as Ferrari and Lamborghini with their "Nose Lift"

... I could go on and on, but the fact of the matter is it all comes down to you. "To each their own." The thing that I find funny is when everyone jumps on the bandwagon and hates on bags when they have never owned them. I have owned lowering springs, coilovers, and bags.

In my personal opinion, my bag set up has been the best suspension I have ran yet. Bags are an added LUXURY to a LUXURY vehicle.

Everyone needs to get off each others throat about these kinds of subjects, and just move on. Stop E thuggin !

Now to answer your question. I say only bag it, if your going t do it right. Going bags is not something you want to halfass. You need a good set of struts, UAS bags, tanks compressors etc, and most importantly management. Dakota or Accu air. Trust me the management makes a HUGE difference

- J

Last edited by JoshIS408; 04-19-12 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-19-12, 02:03 PM
Gustavo250
Lexus Champion

Dannnng Josh A+
Old 04-19-12, 02:09 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well said Josh. I say go for bags broo.

Quick Reply: POLL: To bag or not to bag...