GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2005 GX470 p2441 Secondary Air Injection System switch stuck

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-12, 08:02 AM
gx470wtm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 GX470 p2441 Secondary Air Injection System switch stuck

120K miles - love the car
cel, skid, VSC trac and VSC off lights on - dealer said the code was p2441 Secondary Air Injection System switch stuck
Dealer said I needed to replace air injection system for $3495.00 and that the cel would not go off until it was repaired. They completed the 120K service for $641 and when I picked it up, all the warning lights were off. I have driven it a couple of hunders miles since then and still no lights. Does that mean it could have been something else???? I love the car, but I need tires and brakes and now $3500 more could mean $5K-$6K of repair for a 2005 car with 120K. Looking for advice.
Old 10-31-13, 10:51 AM
Ragnoir
Driver School Candidate

I am in almost exactly the same situation as were. What did you end up doing?
Old 10-31-13, 11:09 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Cheap fix:
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...ss-module-aip/
Old 10-31-13, 12:02 PM
Ragnoir
Driver School Candidate

Is this the recommended solution? Will this affect resale value?
Old 10-31-13, 12:37 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ragnoir
Is this the recommended solution? Will this affect resale value?
Unless you want to spend almost $3-5K(depending on what dealer you go to).... yes that would be my recommended solution.

Will it hurt resale, who's to say. If you have money to blow for the dealer to fix it then by all means get it replaced. If you can DIY then that's the route you should go. I live in Florida and we don't have emissions testing but if we did there's NO WAY IN HELL I would pay the dealer that kind of money to replace a system that essentially pumps fresh air into the exhaust for the the cats upon cold start-ups. For that kind of money I'd replace the whole motor and put a LS in it.

Last edited by RCsGX; 10-31-13 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-31-13, 01:40 PM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

That is why they are termed "Stealers" without troubleshooting straight replacement are their solutions. Less of man-hours involved
Old 11-01-13, 06:05 AM
Ragnoir
Driver School Candidate

Is there any worry if I don't do anything and just drive it for a while?

This car has already cost us almost 5k in other repairs and I hate to throw anymore money at it unless it stops having issues.
Old 11-01-13, 08:47 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Is there any worry if I don't do anything and just drive it for a while?
I can't say one way or another but I can tell you that a lot of Tundra guys have been driving for years w/ their air injection system not working w/o anything bad happening.

This car has already cost us almost 5k in other repairs and I hate to throw anymore money at it unless it stops having issues.
What kind of repairs?
Old 11-01-13, 12:51 PM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

P2441 code which you have got - AIR Control Valve stuck close. The following gets disabled.
  • O2 Sensor1
  • O2 Sensor ( Air Fuel ) No activity
  • O2 Sensor2
  • O2 Sensor3
  • Fuel System

Now the above are disabled ( Fail / Safe Method activated by the ECM). Becoz of the fault P02441. Running your GX with the above disabled would have your Fuel / Air Ratio becomes very richer, causing in-accurate fuel flow and sometimes Engine stall. Whether it is safe to run the GX. I can't answer that. Well it is not a comfortable drive having these issues around.
Old 11-01-13, 01:17 PM
Ragnoir
Driver School Candidate

"What kind of repairs?'

Well we just bought it in February and so far this is what we've had to do.

1. Timing Belt and Water Pump replaced - $1,200.00
2. New Tires - $800.00
3. Replace spark plugs and repair damage to knock sensor wiring (cause by a damn rat) $1,400.00

I know 1 and 2 I would have to do to any car and 3 was just an act of god and totally random. It just feels crappy when we just bought the car and we've paid out so much already. With this $4000.00 dollar repair now I was pretty close to turning the darn thing in and getting something else.

That's why I asked about driving it for a while. If it would not break down for at least 6 months I would feel better about putting more money into it. On paper this thing should be a dream 1 owner old lady always serviced at the dealership. But right now it feels more like a nightmare.
Old 11-01-13, 01:42 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

"What kind of repairs?'

Well we just bought it in February and so far this is what we've had to do.

1. Timing Belt and Water Pump replaced - $1,200.00
2. New Tires - $800.00
3. Replace spark plugs and repair damage to knock sensor wiring (cause by a damn rat) $1,400.00

I know 1 and 2 I would have to do to any car and 3 was just an act of god and totally random. It just feels crappy when we just bought the car and we've paid out so much already. With this $4000.00 dollar repair now I was pretty close to turning the darn thing in and getting something else.

That's why I asked about driving it for a while. If it would not break down for at least 6 months I would feel better about putting more money into it. On paper this thing should be a dream 1 owner old lady always serviced at the dealership. But right now it feels more like a nightmare.
That old lady got out at the right time. Mine too is a 1 owner, older lady, always serviced it at Lexus (have pages of work done / scheduled maintenance done etc.) and knock on wood it's been great other than the crappy suspension.

If you have free time do a google search for Toyota forums, especially about Tundras / Sequoias and you'll see many drive w/ the valves stuck open and close. It only runs when you first start your GX, it doesn't run any other time. It's just used to pump air into the exhaust for the cats. The only reason guys are using the by-pass is to pass their emissions testing. You'll be fine driving your GX but if you live in an emissions state make sure you fix it, use the by-pass module or sell it before it's due for the next test. The last thing you want is a failed emissions on your carfax report.
Old 11-01-13, 05:27 PM
Ragnoir
Driver School Candidate

I really starting to think I've been cursed. So on the way home tonight I slow down for a stop light and come to a complete stop. Then I notice the car next to me is rolling forward only it's not the car next to me... It's me! My brake booster had quit working and I was on manual brakes. I started pumping them and after the 4 or 5 pumps the booster kicked back in the the normal feel of the pedal returned.

'Does anyone know if this is a common occurrence with these cars?

I'm taking it tomorrow to carmax to get a quote on what they would pay me and I've very much considering unloading this thing and being down with Lexus.
Old 11-01-13, 05:37 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

I really starting to think I've been cursed. So on the way home tonight I slow down for a stop light and come to a complete stop. Then I notice the car next to me is rolling forward only it's not the car next to me... It's me! My brake booster had quit working and I was on manual brakes. I started pumping them and after the 4 or 5 pumps the booster kicked back in the the normal feel of the pedal returned.

'Does anyone know if this is a common occurrence with these cars?

I'm taking it tomorrow to carmax to get a quote on what they would pay me and I've very much considering unloading this thing and being down with Lexus.
Ah man, it's just keeps getting worse for you.

Take a look at this thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-expected.html

If I were you'd I'd be very cautious about driving it. Sound like you need to fix a lot of things or just get rid of the GX money pit.
Old 11-02-13, 04:11 AM
Ragnoir
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Ah man, it's just keeps getting worse for you.

Take a look at this thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-expected.html

If I were you'd I'd be very cautious about driving it. Sound like you need to fix a lot of things or just get rid of the GX money pit.
The brake thing is definitely a concern for me especially since I have a 1 year old I just wouldn't feel safe with him in the car. This really sucks I've always wanted a Lexus since I drove my grandfather's LS400 when I was 16 years old.

I even called corporate about the air pump problem and they said they would give me 10% off of the repair. What a joke, I thought Lexus customer service was supposed to be the best in the business. My last car was a 4Runner and I had it for over 10 years without any major issues at all. The only reason I got rid of it was I wanted something a little bigger and I wanted a Lexus.

I'm so disappointed now I'm just not sure what to do.
Old 11-02-13, 07:10 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

I'm so disappointed now I'm just not sure what to do.
You should definitely get the brake booster / brakes checked out ASAP! If it went out on you last night you don't want it going out again. Luckily you were at a light stopped, imagine going 60mph+ and needing them and you don't have them.

Quick Reply: 2005 GX470 p2441 Secondary Air Injection System switch stuck