LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

04-06 Sealed Transmission fluid change interval? (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-14, 07:12 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BMW7_LS430
Today I drove the car after yesterday's ATF fluid change.
Car drove nice but as usual.
I didn't have any issues to start with so I guess it is the same for now but I feel that I am on my path to avoid potential future issues.

By the time people get shifting issues transmission is already damaged.
By the time people discover thick and burnt fluid it is too late to refresh. Now they have to wait for eventual demise of their transmission.
Was you're fluid thick? If anything it should have lost viscosity and been even thinner than new fluid. ATF WS is already a very low viscosity fluid and because of that it has to have better chemical protection than is typical in ATF fluids.

Did you're fluid smell burnt? ATF can get quite dark without actually being burned. You saw how dark mine was and it is a practically new transmission with only 25K on the car's odometer. I'm not worried about mine but that's because it shifts perfectly without any issues and it has so few miles on it. There's nothing that really could've gone wrong in such few miles. I'm glad that I changed it when I did rather than just assuming it would last the life of the car. I'm pretty sure that 6 speed sealed Toyota transmissions with ATF WS would look just like mine after 7 years with only 25K miles.

My fluid had the same viscosity and did not smell different than the new fluid but it was very very dark.
Old 05-11-14, 08:00 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by sorka
Was you're fluid thick? If anything it should have lost viscosity and been even thinner than new fluid. ATF WS is already a very low viscosity fluid and because of that it has to have better chemical protection than is typical in ATF fluids.

Did you're fluid smell burnt? ATF can get quite dark without actually being burned. You saw how dark mine was and it is a practically new transmission with only 25K on the car's odometer. I'm not worried about mine but that's because it shifts perfectly without any issues and it has so few miles on it. There's nothing that really could've gone wrong in such few miles. I'm glad that I changed it when I did rather than just assuming it would last the life of the car. I'm pretty sure that 6 speed sealed Toyota transmissions with ATF WS would look just like mine after 7 years with only 25K miles.

My fluid had the same viscosity and did not smell different than the new fluid but it was very very dark.
Drained fluid wasn't thick. When it was draining it didn;t look as bad. I could still see a tint of red.
I forgot to smell is closely but I didn't smell anything from a distance.
I had ATF change at 30K on another "sealed" transmission and it failed at 45K & 8 years. That tranny was known to have problems as opposed to LS430 transmission that is known to be bullet proof but I am not taking any chances.
Old 05-12-14, 04:15 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 149 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by BMW7_LS430
Finally did drain and refill today. yeah.
Drove car on the ramps.
Jacked up the rear and supported by jack stands.
First checked ATF from overflow plug. It was full and dripped a little. Didn't look bad at first.
Opened up drain plug. 1 qt 24 oz came out.
Lowered the rear and got some extra out. Total 1 qt 30 oz came out. Maybe another 1 oz was stuck to the pan.
Jacked up rear again.
Put the drain plug back on.
I had bought 2 Fram sure drain valves, one for oil and one for the transmission overflow plug, but unfortunately transmission bolts are smaller than oil drain.
I made my own contraption with a funnel, 3/8" tube, and another smaller tube. Smaller tube fit perfectly in the overflow plug.
I fed ATF from funnel as if transmission was a patient. lol. Gravity did it's trick.
I fed 2 qts and started the engine. .Tubing was still attached to the overflow plug.
Went through the gears. Removed the tubing. Got some overflow.Connected tubing again and fed some more ATF. Checked the transmission temperature with hands only. (Body temperature is about 98 degrees. You need transmission between 115 and 130 degrees).
Went through the gears one more time.
Removed the tube and let excess drip out.
Put the overflow plug back on.
Took pictures of new and old fluid. It is not only the bad color but I could see dirt as I was pouring it.

.By the way I was able to locate the cover on the fill plug. It was hard to get driver in there and I didn't have right size wrench.. Next time I am going to open it and see if I can attach a fill tube.
Thanks for taking the time to take pics and post. Very interesting.
Old 05-12-14, 04:31 AM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So as it stands now, there have been no reported LS 430 transmission failures after fluid changes just as there have been no reported failures from those who have never had their fluid change. I had 196,000 miles on my 04, never changed the fluid, and it drove just fine. So the score as it stands is:
Failure with fluid change: 0
Failure without fluid change: 0
Right?
Old 05-12-14, 06:06 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I have 6 quarts of WS and may do it this week... I'm thinking of draining 3 quarts and replacing it with 3. That makes it easy. I'll then use the remaining 3 quarts later this summer.
Old 05-12-14, 08:32 AM
malrafe3i
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are two bolts that opens with an alenky in the differential the up one is to fill the down one is to drain its on the left side / on the driver side just u need to get your car on a lift
Old 05-12-14, 10:06 AM
toyo
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you guys getting the fluid in correct temp range to make sure you are putting in the correct amount and to check the level? If not, you need to!
Old 05-12-14, 12:29 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

i cant believe this thread is still gooooing.
Old 06-30-14, 10:00 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

HELP...

What size wrench is needed to remove the ATF refill plug? I have tried 7/8(too small), 15/16(too big). This is going to drive me mad. LOL.
Old 06-30-14, 11:09 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by XJSFan
HELP...

What size wrench is needed to remove the ATF refill plug? I have tried 7/8(too small), 15/16(too big). This is going to drive me mad. LOL.
you have to get metric tools
Old 06-30-14, 11:18 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
i cant believe this thread is still gooooing.
It will never die... LOL Well, it does not help that many dealers instruct owners not to change the transmission fluid. Which, is obviously bad advice for the life of the transmission.
Old 06-30-14, 11:50 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

I tried a 24mm and it worked. LOL. I was able to drain out 3 quarts and replaced the same amount. The tranny seems smooth as before.
Old 06-30-14, 01:59 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by XJSFan
I tried a 24mm and it worked. LOL. I was able to drain out 3 quarts and replaced the same amount. The tranny seems smooth as before.
That's a good thing. I have already done mine twice. Each time I could feel a minor improvement in the shifting. The WS synthetic is good stuff but just like engine oil it get dirty and breaks down.

Aisin designed the transmission to be serviced. The reason Lexus called it a lifetime fluid is because they knew you could get to 200k or more and by saying it does not need service it cuts the rated owners cost down.
Old 06-30-14, 10:46 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo

Aisin designed the transmission to be serviced.
Can u provide proof of this? If so, I'd be interested in it. Should a transmission fail due to following Lexus's instructions, this proof would become critical in a court of law.
Old 07-01-14, 03:34 AM
toyo
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pamperme
Can u provide proof of this? If so, I'd be interested in it. Should a transmission fail due to following Lexus's instructions, this proof would become critical in a court of law.
Considering Lexus recommends changing it at 60K under severe service I would say look in the manual. If you read the severe table definition it's pretty much everybody I know.

Quick Reply: 04-06 Sealed Transmission fluid change interval? (The Mother thread)