CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

First Drive: Lexus CT 200h - The Green Hatch

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-10, 05:49 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
No one has sat in the competition and the CT here at the same time so how can we conclude that by a pic? All these vehicles have small backseats and most are not family cars.
I'm speaking from the specs. The CT's 32.9" rear legroom is among the worst of any car with 4 doors (the only 4-door car that does worse is the IS, which also lost a lot of sales due to lack of rear legroom).
I'm on PriusChat, many members have only a spouse or no kids or no spouse. Rear seat room is not the determining factor, MPG is.

I don't think rear seat room is a priority here. What is a priority is the drive over the Prius, the luxury materials to the Prius and the image.
The PriusChat forum is US-centric so naturally you don't see many people caring about rear legroom, never mind the fact that the Prius has plenty of it, making it a non-issue to begin with. But like I said, many Europeans use these small 4-door (or 5-door if you will) hatches as family cars since most households have only one car. It will likely be a key factor to them.

Last edited by Mister Two; 10-28-10 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-28-10, 05:59 PM
LexFather

I don't just go by specs. I have to sit in the vehicle. Many vehicles specs don't tell the entire story. Most people don't sit with the seat up front all the way to the rear.

Guess we will all find out how the back seat is shortly
Old 10-28-10, 06:01 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

If that 32.9" is accurate, then it has worse leg room than a toyota yaris, nissan sentra, and chevy aveo. I have always wondered how leg room is calculated seeing as how there is no standard to the positioning of the front seat
Old 10-28-10, 06:18 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I think that Toyota needs a small turbocharged engine to put in this car and of course others. Mmmm, the world's first turbo hybrid.
Old 10-28-10, 06:28 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I think that Toyota needs a small turbocharged engine to put in this car and of course others. Mmmm, the world's first turbo hybrid.
That would be the Subaru B5-TPH....Concept. (where TPH stands for Turbo Parallel Hybrid)
Old 10-28-10, 06:40 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The styling on this car is starting to grow on me.
Old 10-28-10, 07:17 PM
JessePS

AWESOME!!! If only the roof-liner was in that also
Old 10-28-10, 07:44 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mister Two
That would be the Subaru B5-TPH....Concept. (where TPH stands for Turbo Parallel Hybrid)
Keyword: concept....nowdays, old concept.
Old 10-29-10, 08:49 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Two
I'm speaking from the specs. The CT's 32.9" rear legroom is among the worst of any car with 4 doors (the only 4-door car that does worse is the IS, which also lost a lot of sales due to lack of rear legroom).The PriusChat forum is US-centric so naturally you don't see many people caring about rear legroom, never mind the fact that the Prius has plenty of it, making it a non-issue to begin with. But like I said, many Europeans use these small 4-door (or 5-door if you will) hatches as family cars since most households have only one car. It will likely be a key factor to them.
There are plenty of cars in Europe much smaller and with tighter specs than the CT. Europeans are generally smaller than Americans so stuffing them in cars smaller than C segment cars are a non issue. Toyota iQ, Toyota Aigo aka Peugeot 107 and Citroën C1P, Smart, Mini and etc rein the streets of Paris. I'm pretty sure rear leg room is a non issue when people are buying those cars. I sat in the back of the CT on a few of our drives. I had no rear complaints other than the very tall front seat headrest hindering my view.

Last edited by flipside909; 10-29-10 at 08:53 AM.
Old 10-29-10, 10:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Nobody would care about CT300h in Europe despite what pampered media says. People these days buy 4cly BMWs and MBs (always did Audis). V6 and V8 resale value is a lot lower than for 4cly engines.
they buy 4cyls because they get crushed by taxes on cars with larger displacements/cylinders.

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Mmmm, the world's first turbo hybrid.
well porsche now has the supercharged hybrid.

Originally Posted by flipside909
There are plenty of cars in Europe much smaller and with tighter specs than the CT. Europeans are generally smaller than Americans
haha, where'd you get that fact from? they're actually taller on average! no offense meant, but the hispanic pop. growth in the u.s. has brought down average height significantly.

Toyota iQ, Toyota Aigo aka Peugeot 107 and Citroën C1P, Smart, Mini and etc rein the streets of Paris.
it's nothing to do with people size, it's because parking is a joke and roads are often so narrow, not to mention gas being 2-3x as expensive.

the other thing that makes tiny cars more tolerable in europe is generally people don't drive as far in them as in the u.s.
Old 10-29-10, 10:55 AM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
well porsche now has the supercharged hybrid.
Not to mention BMW's turbo hybrid.
Old 10-29-10, 11:02 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

haha, where'd you get that fact from? they're actually taller on average! no offense meant, but the hispanic pop. growth in the u.s. has brought down average height significantly.
I didn't mean to go that direction, but Europeans are generally slimmer than Americans.

it's nothing to do with people size, it's because parking is a joke and roads are often so narrow, not to mention gas being 2-3x as expensive.
You are right. I saw a 6' French man hop into his tiny Fiat and drove away without a grunt.
Old 10-29-10, 06:19 PM
LexFather

Europe can keep the cloth seats thank you
Old 10-29-10, 06:31 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice pictures Flipside!

Thanks for sharing some of your driving impression thoughts too. Can you tell us a little bit more what its like sitting in the drivers seat? How's the view fore and aft? How about for long road trips?

Thanks in advance!
Larry
Old 10-30-10, 06:16 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by TripleL
Nice pictures Flipside!

Thanks for sharing some of your driving impression thoughts too. Can you tell us a little bit more what its like sitting in the drivers seat? How's the view fore and aft? How about for long road trips?

Thanks in advance!
Larry
Larry,

Sitting in the driver's seat is great. You have great visibility all around. The blindspots are a little tricky in the rear due to that kick up in the rear door window, but it's not horrible. Long distance driving is great. The seats are bolstered pretty well and it's not fatiguing. We got to drive the car on 3 different courses. We only had time for 2 of the driving routes for the 2 day event, but let me tell you, the seat positioning is better than my IS F. Even with the great seats in the F, I think the positioning in the CT is better.

Ryan

Quick Reply: First Drive: Lexus CT 200h - The Green Hatch