IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Silver Lining Metallic vs. Atomic Silver??

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-14, 08:29 PM
OrionLex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silver Lining Metallic vs. Atomic Silver??

Just a quick question to those of you who have more experience with these colors - "silver lining metallic" or "atomic silver"?

Which one would look better with the rioja red interior? And what about resistance to dust, dirt, scratches, etc.? I assume the lighter SLM might be somewhat better with regards to this, but is the Atomic Silver easy to keep looking clean too?

I just ordered a 2015 IS350 AWD F-Sport yesterday, and initially wanted SLM with RR interior - but after seeing the Atomic Silver in person for a few minutes, I ended up ordering an Atomic Silver with Rioja Red interior for now; I have to let them know my final decision soon so they can officially place my order, so any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 07-09-14, 09:32 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

It's simply a matter of contrast. Since SLM is lighter, it will contrast more with the darker red interior. Atomic is darker to begin with, so it will be on a similar level of the interior. Do you want contrast or uniformity?

As far as cleanliness and maintenance, they are both about the same. Both colors should hide dust and dirt well, with the advantage going to Atomic. I had an Atomic loaner and didn't care for it at all. The color was in the same family as dust, so its always going to look cleaner when it really does become dirty.
Old 07-09-14, 11:42 PM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a choice between silver lining with red and ultra white with red and for me personally there was not enough contrast between the silver lining and red interior as there is with the ultra white and red.

I like the contrast because it really makes the interior stand out against the white body of the car when you open the door

So for that reason while I always love the silver lining collar I chose to go with the ultra white

I actually traded in my 2014 250 black and red for the 350 ultra white and red because the black took too much time and care and scratches so easily that I could not stand it anymore and I got rid of it as the dealer made me an offer that I could not refuse

Soon as I get some pictures I'll update my avatar
Old 07-10-14, 12:08 AM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if it was up to me, i'd go with either the Ultra White or the Nebula Grey with red interiors
Old 07-10-14, 06:59 AM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm getting an Atomic over red when they become available, I think the Atomic is a more unique and stand out color than the SLM. In person it was stunning. I can't help with the maintenance because I don't own one yet. I really hope we know something about availability of the 2015's soon.
Old 07-10-14, 08:01 AM
skip000
Driver School Candidate

Default Atomic all the way

I just got my car yesterday..ordered the Atomic Silver...the other silver looks to me like primer paint...the Atomic is deeper and has a glossier shine...both would look good with red, though I think the lighter silver would look better with red....I ordered the black interior, which was not my favorite, but I felt it was the only color that would go with Atomic...the red interior was not available to me because I did not get the F Sport...got the IS 350 with the 18 inch wheels...looks great!
Old 07-10-14, 08:04 AM
OrionLex
Driver

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
As far as cleanliness and maintenance, they are both about the same. Both colors should hide dust and dirt well, with the advantage going to Atomic. I had an Atomic loaner and didn't care for it at all. The color was in the same family as dust, so its always going to look cleaner when it really does become dirty.
Originally Posted by dstopsie
I had a choice between silver lining with red and ultra white with red and for me personally there was not enough contrast between the silver lining and red interior as there is with the ultra white and red.

I like the contrast because it really makes the interior stand out against the white body of the car when you open the door

So for that reason while I always love the silver lining collar I chose to go with the ultra white

I actually traded in my 2014 250 black and red for the 350 ultra white and red because the black took too much time and care and scratches so easily that I could not stand it anymore and I got rid of it as the dealer made me an offer that I could not refuse

Soon as I get some pictures I'll update my avatar
Originally Posted by tea
if it was up to me, i'd go with either the Ultra White or the Nebula Grey with red interiors
Haha, I've never heard anyone compare Atomic Silver to "dust" before - most people on the forums seem to like it very much! I actually agree that white/red is a stunning color combination, but white and black cars are both very difficult to keep looking clean (for different reasons) - white tends to show any dirt or mud very easily, while black will show any dust or dried water deposits as well as light scratches very easily, hence my propensity to go with silver cars usually. I checked out nebula gray pearl as well, but it's just not as attractive to me as SLM or Atomic Silver (too dark and drab).

As I mentioned, I was all set on ordering a SLM/RR F-Sport when I walked into the dealership, but walked out having ordered an Atomic Silver/Rioja Red instead! I have yet to see the color in direct sunlight as I understand it can look quite different (I was only able to see the Atomic Silver on a 2014 non-F Sport via window light since the dealership happened to lose power the day I went - lucky me!). Since then, I've been scouring the forums here and all over the web for pictures of Atomic Silver and am more confused than ever - it seems to look different in every picture/video I've seen (assuming I'm looking at the right colors - as I understand it, Atomic Silver is color code "1J7" which is also called Sonic Titanium or Titanium Metallic in other markets, right?)! Sometimes it seems to look like liquid metal (which I think is awesome!); other times it looks slightly brownish or beige-ish (which I don't like as much), which is odd since I didn't see any hint of brown or beige in person.

So how accurate a description is "liquid metal" for Atomic Silver? For those of you who have it, does it only look great while squeaky clean? Or does it look much more dull and drab when slightly dirty (since nobody seems to post dirty pictures of their cars for some reason!)? And why do some pictures seem to show a brownish hue sometimes?? With Silver Lining Metallic I know how it'll look clean or dirty (not much different) since my last two cars have been pretty much the exact same color - I don't mind trying a different color but I just don't want to regret it because I plan to keep and love this car for a long time!! Anyway, thanks for all the help you guys...
Old 07-10-14, 08:05 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

AS FTW... that is one sweet color.
Old 07-10-14, 08:14 AM
OrionLex
Driver

Originally Posted by wednesday
I'm getting an Atomic over red when they become available, I think the Atomic is a more unique and stand out color than the SLM. In person it was stunning. I can't help with the maintenance because I don't own one yet. I really hope we know something about availability of the 2015's soon.
Are you planning to order a custom build or buy an already-configured model? Because the dealers already have their production build sheets for July (all 2015 models) and know how many cars of each configuration/color they're being allocated. For example, I know the dealership I went to will be receiving 18 Atomic Silver IS350 AWD's, of which 13 will be F-Sport (6 with red interior, 7 with black) and 5 will be Luxury models (4 with black interior, 1 with gray). Oddly enough, though they know what cars and packages they'll be getting, they don't seem to know the tiny little details that some of us care about...
Old 07-10-14, 08:15 AM
wednesday
Lead Lap

My dealer was willing to pull the one they had out of the showroom for me to see in the sun. Here are the pics I took (non F Sport of course.) Also attaching the ones I took in the showroom. I think it looks a lot like the nickel finished hardware for a house, the best way I can describe it. I didn't see a lot of the beige tones in it the day I looked, I realize it does have a tendency to have beige tones but I feel like the silver gray tones are dominant.

Name:  20140701_133646_zpsae300011.jpg
Views: 39271
Size:  58.5 KB

Name:  20140701_125833_zps9766de2b.jpg
Views: 46811
Size:  60.5 KB
Old 07-10-14, 08:18 AM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by OrionLex
Are you planning to order a custom build or buy an already-configured model? Because the dealers already have their production build sheets for July (all 2015 models) and know how many cars of each configuration/color they're being allocated. For example, I know the dealership I went to will be receiving 18 Atomic Silver IS350 AWD's, of which 13 will be F-Sport (6 with red interior, 7 with black) and 5 will be Luxury models (4 with black interior, 1 with gray). Oddly enough, though they know what cars and packages they'll be getting, they don't seem to know the tiny little details that some of us care about...

They are suppose to just allocate a car for me, I am getting a 250 f sport with nav and no other extra options so I shouldn't need to special order. When did you find out about the allocations? Did they have any clue to when they would be hitting the ground? I need to email my salesperson.
Old 07-10-14, 08:24 AM
OrionLex
Driver

Originally Posted by skip000
I just got my car yesterday..ordered the Atomic Silver...the other silver looks to me like primer paint...the Atomic is deeper and has a glossier shine...both would look good with red, though I think the lighter silver would look better with red....I ordered the black interior, which was not my favorite, but I felt it was the only color that would go with Atomic...the red interior was not available to me because I did not get the F Sport...got the IS 350 with the 18 inch wheels...looks great!
Congratulations on your new car! Post some pics of your new ride when you get a chance (in a bunch of different lighting conditions - hint, hint!)...

So was yours a custom build, and if so how long did it take for you to get? And if not black, which was your favorite interior color? Can't wait to get my new IS too...!!
Old 07-10-14, 08:29 AM
bucanero
Pole Position

Atomic Silver IS the best looking color imho. I totally would have gone with that color BUT it wasn't available for F-Sport. I think only White, Black, Silver (non Atomic), Red and Gray are color options for FSports. In addition I THINK the red interior is only available for FSport as well, making the combination of Atomic Silver and Red interior not possible from dealer. My favorite interior color is the Flaxen color, the "looks like leather" color. Again, this color option is not available for FSport. I went with Silver Metallic with Light Gray interior for my FSport. I love it a lot. It just screams cleanliness when you open the doors. Has a nice transition from exterior to interior where some like contrast, I prefer subtle change. I think the Atomic Silver with Flaxen interior would have been subtle too, I just would have like that to have been an option for FSports.
Old 07-10-14, 08:30 AM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bucanero
Atomic Silver IS the best looking color imho. I totally would have gobe with that color BUT it wasn't available for F-Sport. I think only White, Black, Silver (non Atomic) and Gray are color options for FSports. In addition I THINK the red interior is only available for FSport as well, making the combination of Atomic Silver and Red interior not possible from dealer. My favorite interior color is the Flaxen color, the "looks like learher" color. Again, this color option is not available for FSport. I went with Light Gray Metallic with Light Gray interior for my FSport. I love it a lot. It just screams cleanliness when you open the doors. Has a nice transition from exterior to interior where some like contrast, I prefer subtle change. I think the Atomic Silver with Flaxen interior would have been subtle too, I just would have like that to have been an option for FSports.
2015 MY is supposed to be getting Atomic/rioja for the F sport.
Old 07-10-14, 08:31 AM
skip000
Driver School Candidate

I ordered it in January...and had to wait 6 months to get it....all because I wanted the Cold Weather Package and ML Sound System...but didn't mind the wait..since I still loved my outgoing Lexus...interior colors....didn't like Flaxen with this Atomic Silver...didn't like the light grey interior either...not with Atomic...So that only left Black

Quick Reply: Silver Lining Metallic vs. Atomic Silver??