IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Photo of Bubbles forming on my Roof Paint

Old 07-18-14, 04:56 PM
mark168
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Photo of Bubbles forming on my Roof Paint

As promise, Here is a picture of my roof with bubbles forming under the paint. 2 portions surrounding my sunroof is forming bubbles under the paint. Sorry that the picture is not so clear since it is very hard to take a good picture of it.

Last edited by mark168; 08-07-14 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-18-14, 06:12 PM
mark168
Driver School Candidate

by the way, the local dealer is insisting that the problem from "external factor" and not from under the paint.
Old 07-18-14, 06:22 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

That looks bad. Here's what I did -- I submitted a complaint through the Lexus USA website and go this reply --

"We apologize for the concerns that you are experiencing with your 2014 IS 350. We would certainly like to look into this further for you, so we have forwarded your concern to a Case Manager who will perform a full review and will contact you by phone within five business days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

If you require further assistance, please respond to this e-mail, or contact Lexus Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 5:00 am to 6:00 pm, or Saturday, 7:00 am to 4:00 pm, Pacific Time."

-- They contacted the dealer and in a short time that dealer called me with a different attitude. ymmv
Old 07-18-14, 06:53 PM
mark168
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Glashub
That looks bad. Here's what I did -- I submitted a complaint through the Lexus USA website and go this reply --

"We apologize for the concerns that you are experiencing with your 2014 IS 350. We would certainly like to look into this further for you, so we have forwarded your concern to a Case Manager who will perform a full review and will contact you by phone within five business days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

If you require further assistance, please respond to this e-mail, or contact Lexus Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 5:00 am to 6:00 pm, or Saturday, 7:00 am to 4:00 pm, Pacific Time."

-- They contacted the dealer and in a short time that dealer called me with a different attitude. ymmv
Or should i write Lexus Japan directly? But i'm sure they will just let TOYOTA MOTOR PHILS. handle the problem.

Sad to say that a Lexus is just a glorified Toyota. I use to think it is is entirely different. Better just to buy a true luxury car which are BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, etc etc.
Old 07-20-14, 06:39 PM
mark168
Driver School Candidate

Found another portion in my roof with bubbles. What a car!!!!!!
Old 07-20-14, 06:59 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
Might not have much luck taking this route if the OP is in Manila! First time I have seen that bubbling issue on this site. And it is with the USB paint. Interesting.
Old 07-20-14, 08:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by mark168
Sad to say that a Lexus is just a glorified Toyota. I use to think it is is entirely different. Better just to buy a true luxury car which are BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, etc etc.
LOL...I can tell you plenty of stories about what dealers have done to friends of mine who own BMWs, Mercedes, Audis, Porsches, etc.

The issue is you live in the Philippines. You don't have any direct contact with Lexus as everything is handled through the local reseller as you noted...this is an issue in these sorts of places...and it would be no different with another manufacturer.
Old 07-21-14, 08:45 AM
Reeladdict
Driver

It could be a crap repair also, many times cars are damaged during shipping and the dealer just fixes it, could be that. Look for other evidence of paint work, dust in the paint, overspray in the sunroof opening etc.
Old 07-21-14, 09:41 AM
Wht95scort
Driver

Try having a well known detail shop wet sand the area.
Old 07-21-14, 11:43 AM
Reeladdict
Driver

Originally Posted by mark168
Better just to buy a true luxury car which are BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, etc etc.
hahahahahaahaha Audi is nothing more than a VW. Have fun with the maintenance on a BMW, Mercedes or Porsche, not to mention the price you're going to pay for one of those can't compare to a Lexus. You're freaking out over a paint issue, its fixable, its not a big deal. If you were in the US that would most likely be taken care of easily.
Old 07-21-14, 12:09 PM
unowned
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

have a detail shop measure the clear coat thickness to show proof of a repair. If you don't want to deal with the long fight then do the wet sanding / polishing fix.
Old 07-21-14, 02:00 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by unowned
have a detail shop measure the clear coat thickness to show proof of a repair. If you don't want to deal with the long fight then do the wet sanding / polishing fix.
Very good suggestion. If the thickness of that area is out of sorts with the rest of the car, you may have a bone to pick with the seller.
Old 07-21-14, 02:01 PM
dasbuch
Driver

Mark is your car regularly parked within reflective distance of any windows (of a building or home)?

There is an increasing trend we are seeing in the US with newer windows they are putting in homes melting paint and plastic / vinyl parts on cars and homes. It can completely melt vinyl siding, because the Low-E reflective coating on some windows can combine with the convex window shape to create a magnifying-glass effect with sunlight. Example here:
I've seen cars similarly damaged from this.

So you may want to look around where you park the car, is there a car with cheap metallic tint that parks next to you frequently, etc? Park in your usual spot and look for focus reflections on your car on a hot day, and check it with a laser thermometer. The temperatures from reflective surfaces can get really hot.

If not windows look for anything that might be reflecting on it. I can only imagine what the sunlight in Manila is like.
Old 07-22-14, 11:13 AM
CLkicker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP, did you fix the problem?
Old 07-28-14, 03:42 AM
mark168
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CLkicker
OP, did you fix the problem?
NOPE!!!! I just met with LEXUS MANILA and TOYOTA MOTORS PHILIPPINES 2 days ago and the representative from TMP gave i sorts of excuses. According to him, the paint problem did not worsen, I asked him how he can prove it and he said thru visual and his touch. DUH!!!!! During my 2nd meeting with them, they are recommending that they sand and polish the area on the roof with the problem. I agreed with them but asked for a letter stating what procedure they will do and what will be the next step if it does not solve the problem. I repeatedly asked them but they kept on insisting for another checking even if they already gave a recommendation and me not even opposing to it. I am now waiting for a final report 5 days from now. If they still do not solve the problem on my car, i will ask for LEXUS JAPAN's help. If they do not help me, i will sue the company. Plain and simple. By the way, the bubble is all over my roof now and on my trunk. Still they say IT DID NOT WORSENED!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Photo of Bubbles forming on my Roof Paint