Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Interior Touch- UP paint

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-04, 01:35 AM
ISzBest
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior Touch- UP paint

Hey,

(It seems like forever since i've posted here, being a paid member since 01.lol. Does anyone remember the CL Fontana RACEWAY meet/special?)

For any/all of us is300ers,
My cd player broke, so rather then get gyped at the dealer i just swapped myself. In the process, i scratched some of the graphite like colored trim around the radio. (it goes from the top of the lil tray to around the stick) Anyone know of any paint or touch up thing i could use to conceal it better, rather than buy a whole new console trim?
Old 07-01-04, 06:02 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I let this go a couple days to see if we could get you a response from someone that may have done it on an IS, but since you've gotten no feedback...

My first thought was that Krylon's new Fusion paint (specifically made for plastic) might work, but I see on their website the colors they list, and graphite isn't one of them, nothing close to it really, so....

I can only suggest you try an automotive paint supply store, and ask them if they can mix you a pint of plastic/vinly paint according to the Lexus color code. I've done it with GM, Ford etc and it works great, if you degreae and prep well. It will all depend upon the paint supplier having the Lexus interior color mixing codes. That I do not know, but it's worth a try.

You'd need a compressed hobby air cannister to spray it, or an air brush or spray gun/compressor. Best of luck.
Old 07-02-04, 11:10 AM
ISzBest
Driver

Well thanks for the effort we'll see i'll figure somehting or or just leave it until the lease is up...
Old 07-02-04, 01:30 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One other possibility;

If the trim isn't textured, you can compound it and polish it just like paint. May want to try a swirl remover first, then move up to a light-cut compound (KIT Scratch -Out, Meg's Scratch X etc.) and as a last resort 3M fine cut rubbing compound, followed by the swirl remover to bring back the shine.

It primarily depends on if it's painted or if the graphite color is impregnated / molded clear through the piece (that's more common). You would have to try testing the swirl remover by lightly rubbing a part of the piece, and if it removes color, stop and live with it.
Old 06-18-14, 07:42 AM
mkazemba
Driver School Candidate

Default Interior Touch Up

Somehow the graphite trim piece on the console of my IS also got a small chip. I have been searching the Internet for a touch up kit, but to no avail. If I can't find a DIY solution, then I am going to try the dealer. Sometimes they will do small things like this for no charge. There are also independent businesses that specialize in interior repair.
Old 06-18-14, 12:52 PM
PondScum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has to be some kind of record. Just a couple weeks short of TEN YEARS!