RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

CD Player - Error code 4

Old 11-05-06, 09:21 AM
dms666
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CD Player - Error code 4

Has anyone had any experience with this error code on their CD player? I have an '04 RX330 and just got this error today. It won't even let me eject any CDs! I've read the owner's manual and found the error code, but I wanted to get a handle on how serious/time consuming the repair would be.

Thanks,

Darryl
Old 11-05-06, 10:52 AM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

i get this alot too. what does the owners manual say about it?
Old 11-05-06, 06:02 PM
sharpener
Driver

same here, i often get the error 5, and once the 6
Old 11-06-06, 04:36 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't know if it helps, but here are common CD error codes:

http://www.cdspeed2000.com/go.php3?link=errorcodes.html

http://www.cdr-zone.com/articles/ata...es_page_1.html

That 4 code appears to be "Eject Failure".

Last edited by Lil4X; 11-06-06 at 04:44 AM.
Old 11-06-06, 02:14 PM
dms666
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Don't know if it helps, but here are common CD error codes:

http://www.cdspeed2000.com/go.php3?link=errorcodes.html

http://www.cdr-zone.com/articles/ata...es_page_1.html

That 4 code appears to be "Eject Failure".

For the record, the manual says the following for error code 3 or 4:
"It indicates there is trouble inside the system. Eject the disc."

Gee, thanks Lexus, very helpful! I got this error just after turning on the stereo which had previously been playing a CD. I hadn't tried to eject any discs prior to getting this error message. In fact, it wouldn't let me eject any discs, change discs, or anything else. When I tried to eject a disc, the system immediately switched to radio mode.

Now the good news...several hours after I got this error message, everything is working fine now...all on its own.

So...do I bother to take my car in to have it checked out or what?
Old 11-06-06, 10:40 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd at least eject all the discs and give them a good visual inspection. The problem seems to be mechanical and perhaps one is warped slightly, or a paper label has come adrift.
Old 11-07-06, 05:30 AM
born2run
Driver School Candidate

I would definitely call the dealer. I had problems with my CD player - besides the error code 4, sometimes I couldn't even load a disc. I'd push the load button, and nothing would happen. Similar to your experience, the problems would magically disappear, only to come back weeks (or even months) later. Eventually, I couldn't load a CD at all, and this time the problem didn't disappear.

Here's the good news... I don't know if every Lexus dealer is the same, but when I called mine, they said that they don't repair these units, they just replace them. It took a few days to order the part, and they actually came out to my house to install it! So assuming that you are still under warranty, I would give your dealer a call and see what they say.
Old 11-09-06, 08:28 AM
dms666
Rookie

Originally Posted by born2run
I would definitely call the dealer. I had problems with my CD player - besides the error code 4, sometimes I couldn't even load a disc. I'd push the load button, and nothing would happen. Similar to your experience, the problems would magically disappear, only to come back weeks (or even months) later. Eventually, I couldn't load a CD at all, and this time the problem didn't disappear.

Here's the good news... I don't know if every Lexus dealer is the same, but when I called mine, they said that they don't repair these units, they just replace them. It took a few days to order the part, and they actually came out to my house to install it! So assuming that you are still under warranty, I would give your dealer a call and see what they say.
So I did call the dealer and he said error code 4 was a disc read error (and that error code 3 was a disc load error). He also mentioned something about moisture and humidity.

Anyway, he said if it happens again, to bring the car in, they'll determine the exact model of stereo, and they'd order a new one and replace it.
Old 10-12-10, 01:56 PM
vquance
Driver School Candidate

On a 2004 RX330 that I just acquired with 6-disk changer, I loaded a nearly new (and not warped) CD (played find in my Honda's 6-CD in dash player & laptop). This CD is not quite as thick as a recording artist disk. The disk would not load and the CD motor would run after turning off the car. After pushing eject and load several times, I finally received "ERROR 3".

With a flashlight, we could see the disk that was trying to load. We used a knife while ejecting to help push the disk up and dislodge it. One disk is still stuck as the previous owners had left 4 other disks in. Disk 6 will not play or eject, but at least the first 2 slots are working and the CD motor does not run. Not sure I want to risk any other disks to this player.

This car is not under warranty and Lexus wanted $130 to just look at it. You can see why we took a flashlight to see what is going on and free the stuck CD. If you are hearing the motor run with the CD slot open, take a flashlight and knife and give it a try.
Thinking MP3 through the cassette for now on.
Old 10-12-10, 07:52 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

If you search the threads for this forum you should come across a mention for a shop that repairs the unit for a fraction of the price the dealer charges. Remember seeing this topic some time back.
Old 10-12-10, 08:50 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Had to send my unit off had a radio shop take it out and they sent it to New York. The shop replaces the motherboard and the cd change unit. If you have a navigation unit in your car nothing will work once they take the head unit out no phone, back-up camera, navigation ,or the most important no ac controls what ever you had it set to is what you will have until they put the unit back in. Call around the different Lexus dealers and see what they charge to replace the unit. The one in my town was $850 while the one 150 miles away was $600 and I paid $550 to have the unit repaired. In addition, no cdr or cdwr in the 04-05 units and look at the store bought cds if you can see thought them keep them out of the unit. The unit will over power the laser and then you start with the error codes and other problems. Two bad we cannot get Lexus to own up to the fact the cd changers in the head units are not worth a crap. Because it will, fail and most of the time, it is when the car is out of warranty and we have to take this in the shorts
Old 10-12-10, 08:59 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Try this:

Radio fix

Last edited by arnieosp; 10-16-10 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-06-11, 07:08 AM
JamesHuang
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arnieosp
Try this:
Radio fix
Good link. Thanks!
Old 09-29-11, 10:12 AM
VegasSC430
Rookie

Lexus wants $700 to replace unit. Anyone know of a good aftermarket stereo, and any that retain the steering wheel controls?
Old 09-29-11, 01:07 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by VegasSC430
Lexus wants $700 to replace unit. Anyone know of a good aftermarket stereo, and any that retain the steering wheel controls?
Better to just have the original repaired. Plenty of discussions on this topic.

http://***********.com/automotive/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CD Player - Error code 4