Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Emanage in a SC400

Old 11-30-06, 10:46 AM
sliva001
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emanage in a SC400

Has anybody successfully installed an emanage in the sc400? I've searched and it seems like it was done in a sc300. Other than apexi SAFC, megasquirt, what other options are there for fuel and ignition control for the sc400? I'll go check lextreme too. Thanks
Old 11-30-06, 02:39 PM
natesiy
Rookie

I heard the Emanage Ultimate doesn't work too well in North America cars.

There's lots of options for piggybacks. Try Haltech Megasquirt, AEM, Apex'i has a new one, maybe the Emanage blue, SAFC.
Old 12-01-06, 12:48 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a post basically asking the same question-- and I've researched the boards-- basically it's been done by a few tuning companies, with similar ecu's to the emanage, but I don't see any info on the SRT website or the WeaponR website about it--

I would definitely say it's doable, but the whole preprogrammed maps is a nice idea to me-- that's why I was looking for the WeaponR or the SRT piggyback.

Unfortunately the information is limited-- although I'm sure a respectable tuner with a decent dyno could make use of the Emanage, not to mention it's controllable right from your laptop--

I'm thinking about doing an Eman Ultimate if I can't get any info about the other ones--

On a side note, the ultimate has the ability to convert your ignition to distributorless coil on plug design, which I believe would be very doable with valve covers and coils from a newer 1UZ VVTi --

The controller can also control some nissan variable valve timing systems, but not sure about the toyota vvti-- so that is an intersting topic when thinking about a VVTi swap--

It can also control water/methanol injection, vtech actuation at a certain rpm, and auto a/f ratio trim on the fly with an optional wideband O2 installed.

All in all I think the greatest complexity is in the tuning-- but the install is probably not the easiest thing in the world to do--

I installed a remote starter, keyless entry, trunk release system, as well as a lot of audio systems for the past 10 years-- so the wiring I can probably handle.
Old 12-01-06, 02:54 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The e-man is junk, and the 1UZ has a tricky ECU (Toyota was ahead of it's time with 'dual core' technology , the banks are run separately)
Old 12-01-06, 03:00 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

"The Eman is junk" -- Do you have any reasons why this is? Is your statement about the software interface it uses being crappy, lack of adjustability, lack of dependability, or what is the basis for your reasoning??

I don't think the LS1 uses a dual bank ecu-- and is 50% larger yielding more hp/tq with better gas mileage-- I'm not so sure it was advanced as much as it was [other things I don't know right now]..........

I still want to run something of the sort to override timing and fuel control-- Any suggestions--
Old 12-01-06, 06:39 PM
CleanCL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lex Luthor
The e-man is junk
those are some serious words.
Old 12-01-06, 07:06 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MJHSC400
"The Eman is junk" -- Do you have any reasons why this is? Is your statement about the software interface it uses being crappy, lack of adjustability, lack of dependability, or what is the basis for your reasoning??

I don't think the LS1 uses a dual bank ecu

Dude we're not talking about a GM motor , we're talking about the Lexus V8, which does have its banks controlled individually by the ECU.

MJH and jtucci, I had a number of problems with the e-man, sent it to them and they said it was fine, put it back in the car and it stopped implementing adjustments while on SP's dyno. Popped 2 motors due to a couple of factors, but apparently the e-man was one of them. Do a search and you'll find i've posted about this before. GReddy tech support is also the worst i've ever seen, I will not buy another product of theirs, but do as you wish of course. BTW, went with an AEM and the car made more power at the same boost levels (though their CDI did blow a channel).
Old 12-01-06, 07:50 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

I will definitely take your input into account===

I'm definitely looking for a product that people comment more positively on-

Bulletproof and rock solid reliability is more what I'm looking for.....

I know I don't want something that will "pop motors"..... :bad:
Old 12-01-06, 09:19 PM
CleanCL
Lead Lap

i'll admit that using their products can be hard and their tech support isnt great, but i think their products are top notch. unfortunate experiences sometimes happen. that said, i probably would not put a emanage into my sc400. i never planned on it, too expensive for what little it would do w/ no boost.
Old 12-01-06, 10:03 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

It's features are what I'm after-- a fully bolted and cammed 1UZ with long tube headers and some nice fuel and timing maps for WOT with a 2800 stall and potentially a reworked valve body seem to be a powerful combo for the SC, though pricey--

All that would equal a really fast car with about 240~ ish to the wheels--- And room to tune if one decided to go with the allustrious 8 throttle body setup at a later time-- [with 8 nice little uni filters under the hood]
Old 12-02-06, 10:54 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jtucci
unfortunate experiences sometimes happen. that said, i probably would not put a emanage into my sc400.

You sound like an attorney
Old 12-03-06, 12:38 AM
CleanCL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lex Luthor
You sound like an attorney
haha, i have an acura where the emanage is loved, but after reading up on the manual, i dont think its a good candidate for this car. a full standalone i think is the better option. but for just minor tuning w/ bolt-ons i think a simple AF tuner is all you need.
Old 12-03-06, 07:05 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MJHSC400
It's features are what I'm after-- a fully bolted and cammed 1UZ with long tube headers and some nice fuel and timing maps for WOT with a 2800 stall and potentially a reworked valve body seem to be a powerful combo for the SC, though pricey--

All that would equal a really fast car with about 240~ ish to the wheels--- And room to tune if one decided to go with the allustrious 8 throttle body setup at a later time-- [with 8 nice little uni filters under the hood]
sounds like a great idea, except the fact that you could turbo the stock V8 and make more power for a lot less money, or, even drop in a 1jz for a lot less and make more power on a 100% stock setup...
Old 12-03-06, 09:19 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

A standalone that can run the a/t behind the 1UZ is elusive to me-- The only one I've seen is the Motech-- $3000 just for the unit--

If it were manual, a haltech would be nice enough--

But a VVTI GS400 motor and trans would be a nice thing to consider too.....
Old 12-04-06, 01:55 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,255 Likes on 997 Posts

There is alot of incorrect info here.
The 1uzfe and VVTI 1uzfe has been modded by a number of people here over the years. It kills me how some of you guy come along with Nissian, Honda info and try to apply it over to the Lexus V8. Lex Luthor and other guys have all been there done that. I've had my 1st SC from 1999, but been reading here for 3.5 years.

EMan is junk and nightmare to work with.

Just so you know, Piggy back is best for 1uzfe, because it will still let stock ecu retard when it sees detonation, also is best cost for HP.

Best Piggy Back ECU for 1uzfe is Unichip period. SMT7 is next, SMT6 is close but limited. Unichip can control every line in stock ECU, and run different Maps. It's proven in 3 or 4 different places. No piggy back better than Unchip.

FYI the Weapon R ECU was the Unichip and it made very good HP gains on the SC400. It has to be tuned by someone who knows how to tune it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Emanage in a SC400