ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Do you Pimp your auto?

Old 02-02-09, 07:05 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Parker Gen
only thing is I really do hate the tail lights on our gen ES. Can't stand it, it's something that was a time phase really. Probably looked good back in the day?
Interesting. The taillights are one of the things I especially like about my car. The triangular formation of the lights on each side inside the assemblies is rather unique and looks great, IMHO...but...to each his own.
Oh, I forgot to mention earlier: I like to pimp my Lexus key whenever I drop off the car at the Toyota dealership to get servicing done. I never just hand the key over to the service advisor. No, I put it on the countertop so the gold "L" is gleaming in the service advisor's eye, and then I point to the key and give the SA a wink and a nod. I think it gives the poor Toyota service ppl a lift to be able to work on and touch a LEXUS once in a while amidst a sea of Yarises and Corollas.
All's I know is, whenever I arrive at the Toyota service desk, two or three ppl behind the desk are always looking at me and whispering to each other. I'm sure they must be saying "Oh boy, we get to work on that Lexus again today".
And I view cruising slowly through town in my beautiful ES a form of community service. I'm sure everyone who watches me drive by gets sort of a tingly feeling inside and their spirits instantly perk up. Just happy to do my part. (j/k)

Last edited by Lexucan; 02-02-09 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-02-09, 06:26 PM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexucan
Interesting. The taillights are one of the things I especially like about my car. The triangular formation of the lights on each side inside the assemblies is rather unique and looks great, IMHO...but...to each his own.
Oh, I forgot to mention earlier: I like to pimp my Lexus key whenever I drop off the car at the Toyota dealership to get servicing done. I never just hand the key over to the service advisor. No, I put it on the countertop so the gold "L" is gleaming in the service advisor's eye, and then I point to the key and give the SA a wink and a nod. I think it gives the poor Toyota service ppl a lift to be able to work on and touch a LEXUS once in a while amidst a sea of Yarises and Corollas.
All's I know is, whenever I arrive at the Toyota service desk, two or three ppl behind the desk are always looking at me and whispering to each other. I'm sure they must be saying "Oh boy, we get to work on that Lexus again today".
And I view cruising slowly through town in my beautiful ES a form of community service. I'm sure everyone who watches me drive by gets sort of a tingly feeling inside and their spirits instantly perk up. Just happy to do my part. (j/k)
LOL
Old 02-04-09, 07:33 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

um....guilty...of all the above. LOL

I don't do it all the time...just occassionally.

I've offered rides to people just so that they can check out my car. LOL

But I don't mention it conversations unless I'm directly asked.
Old 02-04-09, 09:17 AM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Back in college i used to flash it once in a while... but they always see me under the hood of the thing hahaha. Once a girl at the bar ask what i drive, and saw the L on one of the keys i left on the table and she automatically said " OOHH, you drive a LEXUS"?.. luckliy she didn't know it had a BHG. but oo wells.. it does it's job. LOL I bought the car without the fog lights. After getting them on, the Yellow just sex it up (had them on even when it's 99degree with the sun blashing). I used to baby it soo bad. but after college, the BHG was never fixed and i just donate it to charity. i miss it from time to time. but not really. The Lex did gave me a lot of props back in the starving years of college.

now i drive something a bit different, and love it more. but the memories of the old ES3 will never be forgotten...
Old 02-05-09, 11:42 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Ya know seeing this old thread revived reminds me of LXMN I wonder how he is doin with his sic headlights and all
Old 02-10-09, 05:00 PM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cadeleon
Only when I'm driving it do I pimp it! I read that the ES was at the bottom of the totem pole until the IS was introduced. Wikipedia I think? If you ask me, I think they are both entry level Lexus cars. The IS is entry level "Sports" the GS would probably be it's big brother. The ES is entry level luxury, the LS would be its big brother. So here's a question, Is a 2002 and up ES at the bottom of the totem pole?
No................
Old 04-26-09, 06:24 PM
LXMN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Choas
Ya know seeing this old thread revived reminds me of LXMN I wonder how he is doin with his sic headlights and all
Glad to be thought of in such high regards . This is my first time back to the site in ages.

I bought an 08 Tundra last year ( 5.7litre V8=381 horses, hard to get good gas mileage with that much power under your foot ), so I gave my 01 to the wifey. I still take care of the Lexus as if it were my own, just been busier with my truck.

I did just take the ES out this afternoon, made me think of this thread, and was pimpin the ride with one arm strong on the steering wheel. Great ride still!
Old 04-26-09, 06:48 PM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LXMN
Glad to be thought of in such high regards . This is my first time back to the site in ages.

I bought an 08 Tundra last year ( 5.7litre V8=381 horses, hard to get good gas mileage with that much power under your foot ), so I gave my 01 to the wifey. I still take care of the Lexus as if it were my own, just been busier with my truck.

I did just take the ES out this afternoon, made me think of this thread, and was pimpin the ride with one arm strong on the steering wheel. Great ride still!
Still pimpin
Old 04-26-09, 06:54 PM
kaldES98
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hahaha i lol'd when i read the keys part because i do that. and at school people ask me what i drive and i say es300 and they are all impressed even though everyone at my school drives newer lexus rides and bmws and mercs. an es is not a camry. i test drove a camry and it wasn't even close to the ride of the es.

i also drive "one arm strong" haha. does anyone else find themselves holding on to the shift **** even tho its automatic while they drive? ive got one hand on 12 o clock and one hand on the shift **** as if im ready to change gears haha.
Old 04-26-09, 11:27 PM
BoostedE21
Pole Position

We have a stock 1999 ES Coach Edition. Not to be disrespectful or anything, but neither my friends nor I think of it in any special way. The ES300 is still around in very large numbers and (especially since mine is stock), it's really not a car I'd give a second look. I know a guy in Houston who drives a W12 Phaeton during the weekdays to avoid attention - and it's sort of the same thing with the ES. The Phaeton is a baddass car, but it looks like something you'd expect to see every day. And while the ES is a nice luxury cruiser, it looks pretty average, so it's not really something that catches your eye and makes you double take.

I have three cars to choose from: ES300, Ford Explorer, BMW E21. I bought the Explorer and E21, and inherited the ES300 from my dad when he bought a new 3-er and my sister went to College. While our ES is only probably worth a few thousand dollars, I don't really like the typical reactions from people who see a 21 year old driving it. Especially in a college town full of snobby kids in dad's $60,000 truck and new 335i that they race around in - I don't like being associated with them. For example, If I take the E21 to Oreilly's, the employees generally assume I know a bit about mechanics to keep a car that old running, but I don't get much respect just because it's a BMW, and even though it's 30 years old they figure a "kid" shouldn't have it. If I take the ES300, they assume I know nothing (because there's that whole aura that no "normal person" can work on a Lexus) and they assume that daddy bought it, so they try to rip me off. If I take the Explorer, they don't give two ****s either way because it's a cheap SUV, and it's a much more pleasant experience. I dunno, I guess I just don't like trying to trick people into thinking I'm a baddass.

Originally Posted by parnzen
the es is not a glorified camry. my mom has an 01 camry and i have a 97 es. the audio, ride quality, power, looks, and overall comfort of the es is a million times better than the camry.
But that's the whole point, isn't it? The G35 is just a 350Z that's more comfortable, just like the ES300 is a more comfortable Camry. As far as I know, they use the same frame and same basic toyota parts, but with different suspension, body work, speakers, etc to achieve a more luxurious or sporty ride. Tons of companies do that. For Example: Ford Crown Victoria VS. Lincoln Town Car. Or in the "less is more" category, M3 VS M3 CSL and F430 VS F430 Scuderia. "Glorified" might not be the best word and the ES is certainly "better" than the Camry in a few ways, but it's the same base car with a few different parts to achieve more luxury.

Last edited by BoostedE21; 04-27-09 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-27-09, 08:43 AM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i definitly am guilty of pimping my ES....i love to show it off!
im definitly guilty of the keys on the table thing! i also have a lexus lanyard on my keys so when im walking around with my keys in my pocket people can see my lexus lanyard...
i also am guilty of checking out my own car and i love watching peoples heads turn when i get in and out of the car...
it may be the low man on the totem pole, but its still a Lexus through and through
Old 04-27-09, 10:24 AM
96Schwarz
Driver School Candidate

To those that flaunt your keys, are you for real? Sounds like attention whoring to me.
Old 04-27-09, 10:45 AM
QuachmanES
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kaldES98
hahaha i lol'd when i read the keys part because i do that. and at school people ask me what i drive and i say es300 and they are all impressed even though everyone at my school drives newer lexus rides and bmws and mercs. an es is not a camry. i test drove a camry and it wasn't even close to the ride of the es.

i also drive "one arm strong" haha. does anyone else find themselves holding on to the shift **** even tho its automatic while they drive? ive got one hand on 12 o clock and one hand on the shift **** as if im ready to change gears haha.
I'm guilty of that too. I always drive with one hand at the top of the wheel and the other on the shift ****.

I don't tend to show off too much, with the keys or anything, but I feel proud to say I drive a Lexus, and love people's reactions.

Even though it's built on essentially the same chassis as the Camry, it is a totally different car in terms of ride, and of course build quality. My parents have a 2002 Camry, and the ES300 rides way better.

It's sad to see the build quality has dropped a bit over the years, as my dad owns a 2007 ES350, and the interior doesn't feel as luxurious, like the dash and the doors.

Love the ES.
Old 04-27-09, 02:17 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 96Schwarz
To those that flaunt your keys, are you for real? Sounds like attention whoring to me.
Lighten up. I don't flaunt all my keys, just the black one with the gold "L" on it. I couldn't care less who notices my house key
Old 04-27-09, 02:44 PM
96Schwarz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexucan
Lighten up. I don't flaunt all my keys, just the black one with the gold "L" on it. I couldn't care less who notices my house key
You know you hang that gold SCHLAGE key out of your pocket.