GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Master key or valet key? how 2 tell the differnce?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-08, 06:01 PM
natedahms
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Master key or valet key? how 2 tell the differnce?

I've read that it's possible to have a key with out keyless entry be a master. I have been searching and havent found anything that describes how I can tell the deffernce. I bought my GS with one key and it doesnt have the keyless entry. It's a valet key. But from what I've read hear that doesnt mean that it wasnt programed to be a master. I read somewhere that if you have a master the lights inside the car shut off when you put the key in the ignition. Does any one have both a master and a knowen valet key that can tell me anything that will help me figure out if my key is programed as a master? I'm going to order a master key from sewell with keyless entry. But dont want to wast my time and money if all I have is a valet key that wont allow me to program a spare key.
Old 01-02-08, 07:45 PM
lxgs4
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if i remember when you put the valet key in the security light stays on for about 1 sec then goes off. when a master key is inserted the security light goes off right away.

hope this helps
Old 01-02-08, 07:47 PM
NBart
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is possible to get a master that does not have the keyless entry system. I can't tell you anything more than the color of the key is black instead of gray. I have had to purchase these keys for customers as extras because they cost less.
Old 01-02-08, 07:49 PM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

Whichever key cant open the trunk/glove is the VIP. Other is master.
Old 01-02-08, 09:41 PM
natedahms
Driver

Is it really that simple? If the key opens the trunk and the glove compartment it's a master? I was under the impression that there was a chip inside the key that made it either a master or valet. I'm pretty sure a chip has nothing to do with the trunk or glove box opening. That's straight, I guess I've got a master then, it opens everything, trunk and glove compartment. I'll find out Because I just placed my order for the key. Hopefully it won't take too long to get. I'm looking forward to the programing prossess. Sounds like a mission.
Old 01-02-08, 10:26 PM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

Well for my RX, the VIP key can only open the doors, and not the glove (RX has no trunk).

I think it does.....Let me check to be on the safe side and Ill get back to you

I have bad memory.
Old 01-02-08, 10:29 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rollin'RX3
Whichever key cant open the trunk/glove is the VIP. Other is master.
you hit the spot.

VALET WILL NOT OPEN TRUNK/GLOVE BOX.

MASTER KEY WILL.
Old 01-03-08, 04:16 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Not always the case. You can have a "master" looking key with the correct master notches that can open glove/trunk...but that key can be programmed with valet key data. In that case, the key will physically look and work like a master key in terms of physical locks and such. But...the car will recognize it as a valet key. I don't think it makes much difference. When my sister bought her GS, it only came with the grey valet key. The dealer managed to cut the key pattern onto a black remote key but used the valey key data. Whenever I drive that car the red LED is always blinking. But I don't notice any difference in the cars driveability or functions.
Old 01-03-08, 02:00 PM
xhackr
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Not always the case. You can have a "master" looking key with the correct master notches that can open glove/trunk...but that key can be programmed with valet key data. In that case, the key will physically look and work like a master key in terms of physical locks and such. But...the car will recognize it as a valet key. I don't think it makes much difference.
Correct, but there is a difference – other than access to the trunk, glove box, and valet lock. A key programmed as a valet – regardless of it’s cut – cannot be used to program other keys. In theory a person that has your car with a valet key cannot use that key to program another key.

Also, the post above stating that the valet key will keep the security light on longer is correct. That is how to determine if the key is “programmed” as a valet key.
Old 01-03-08, 02:03 PM
NBart
Pole Position

Did anyone other than myself and JeffTsai read this post. Valet key was not in question, but master keys without the keyless button functions were. I got ahold of my parts department and the cost is $83.00. Still can be used to program the keys should you loose your keyless entry master keys.
Old 01-03-08, 02:04 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The master key has an extra groove on top and bottom, where as a valet key doesn't. I'll take pictures of both keys to that you can see the difference.

Regardless if it has the fob on it or not. You can have a master key.

Fellow CL member Excluesive was in the same predicament. I recently met up with him and he had a master key with no keyless button function weren't there.
Old 01-03-08, 02:37 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From our owners manual. Page 8 for a 2002 430. A transponder chip for the engine immobiliser system has been filed in the head of the master and sub (valet) keys. For your Lexus dealer to make you a new key with built-in transponder chip, your dealer will need it.
Old 01-03-08, 05:13 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BAH... listen don't listen to the dealer. they are quacks, well most of them anyway.

I had/have a non-remote master key.

let me just touch all the bases, whether or not your question was asked, it can help those that may be confused.

1. It is possible to have a non remote master key.
2. The difference between the way a valet key and master key are cut is the grooves along the sides
3. It is possible to program keys/transponders from said non-remote master key (on gs430 atleast)
4. You can order non-remote master keys from lexus dealership, they are black and a hell of a lot cheaper.
5. To know if said non-remote key is programmed to vehicle as master, watch security light - if it goes out right away, it is master, if not, it is valet (whether or not it has the grooves on the side of the key)

I have a contact that will get keys for a great price and is a master at what she does. Also, I think that if you only have the VALET key with no programming capabilities, and you are somewhat handy, you can take your ECU out and ship it to her for a reflash that will allow you to program in a new set of master keys, and have it back within a few days. Again, thats only if you have a valet key, and dont mind having downtime on your car. PM me and i'll give you the contact. Let's put it this way, I paid less that 300 for two(aftermarket) remote master keys that work amazing.

BTW, the key that you have now - is it a lexus key or aftermarket? Even if it is aftermarket, it still may be a master (mine was)
Old 01-03-08, 05:48 PM
natedahms
Driver

It's an after market key. Its black and it says Silca Italy on one side and TOY48BT4 on the other. The security light stops blinking as soon as i put the key in the ignition. The dealer I bought my car from had it made the day I picked the car up because the master key they had with keyless entry was falling apart and was giving them a hard time starting the car. I asked them for it but they said it wasnt working at all anymore. this was before i knew anything about programming keys or master and valet keys. Thanks for the info Excluesive.

Last edited by natedahms; 01-03-08 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-03-08, 06:22 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah i have the same key, check for the grooves. u prolly have a master.

Quick Reply: Master key or valet key? how 2 tell the differnce?