ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

CD changer won't play cds "ERR"

Old 01-13-08, 10:55 PM
shuiyuan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CD changer won't play cds "ERR"

just bought an es300 yesatday, when i test driving it i saw the radio was playing a cd. after i finished drive it i gave money to the seller, then seller took all his cds out from the cd changer. i drove my car home,get 6 cds from the other car which had a cd changer and put in my lexus cd changer then the radio shown: Load --- "cd1" --- flash once but still shows "cd1" --- "ERR" and if i push next cd will show "cd2" then "ERR" all others are same .i just worndering does the seller had a "magic" cd that can make it works with the changer? the cd he took out was a cdr copy, all the cds i have are copies. any idea?
Old 01-14-08, 04:32 AM
92ES5sp
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

What year is your car? Try factory cds.
Old 01-14-08, 06:42 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

shuiyuan=1993 ES

^^as stated above, try a factory prerecorded CD. Mine has the same trouble with some copied CDs, especially when the changer is cold and first turned on. Once it warms up inside from use, it will usually play CD-Rs as well as it does CDs. So keep at least one CD in the changer to play at first, then you can usually switch to a CD-R after about 10 minutes. During warm weather, mine has no problem playing either format right away...
Old 01-14-08, 06:58 AM
92ES5sp
Lexus Test Driver

Smile

Originally Posted by Lexucan
shuiyuan=1993 ES

^^as stated above, try a factory prerecorded CD. Mine has the same trouble with some copied CDs, especially when the changer is cold and first turned on. Once it warms up inside from use, it will usually play CD-Rs as well as it does CDs. So keep at least one CD in the changer to play at first, then you can usually switch to a CD-R after about 10 minutes. During warm weather, mine has no problem playing either format right away...
Hey Lexucan is your changer in the trunk? Because mine does the same thing sometimes, actually when it is very cold it will just jump over a CD-R you know as if it wasnt loaded in the first place. No error codes or anything. But if i eject the magazine the re-load it, it will play fine. I think its just because its early 90's technology. I dont consider it a problem. BTW I found out something else yesterday. I had some groceries in the trunk that were moving around and the display read "OPEN" and it wouldnt change discs even though it kept playing the current one. Well i guess a can hit the button and opened the door. First time seeing that on my car.

Last edited by 92ES5sp; 01-14-08 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-14-08, 07:26 AM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another possibility is that someone used homemade CDs with paper labels. There may be a piece of paper stuck inside the changer/player. Paper labels are a no-no .....
Old 01-14-08, 08:23 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

Sometimes it's the simplest of causes. Returning to first, most basic principles - you did load the CDs into the magazine correctly, yes?

I don't know if the 3rd gen magazine is different from the 2nd gen magazine, but I continue to meet 2nd gen owners who've loaded their CDs into the magazine right-side-up, when they actually go in there upside-down.
Old 01-14-08, 08:42 AM
shuiyuan
Rookie

thanks for all the repies above, i think i just try to find a factory cd to lead others to play..hopefully it will work.
Old 01-14-08, 10:45 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Originally Posted by 92ES5sp
Hey Lexucan is your changer in the trunk? Because mine does the same thing sometimes, actually when it is very cold it will just jump over a CD-R you know as if it wasnt loaded in the first place. No error codes or anything. But if i eject the magazine the re-load it, it will play fine. I think its just because its early 90's technology. I dont consider it a problem. BTW I found out something else yesterday. I had some groceries in the trunk that were moving around and the display read "OPEN" and it wouldnt change discs even though it kept playing the current one. Well i guess a can hit the button and opened the door. First time seeing that on my car.
Yeah, my CD changer is in the trunk. I guess when Pioneer made the system, CD-Rs were not as common as they are now, so maybe they didn't really engineer it to be able to read CD-Rs as well as it does prerecorded discs. But I noticed a long time ago that once it is warmed up it performs much better than when it's cold. During summer months it seldom has a problem reading CD-Rs even from the get-go, and if it does, I just select a CD for a few minutes first and then switch back to the CD-R and it usually plays ok.
Also, I keep a large plastic tote box in the trunk for transporting groceries, etc. That way I don't have big bottles of pop and cans of beans rolling around in the trunk on the way home from the market

Shuiyuan: Let us know what happens when you try a regular CD.
Old 01-14-08, 04:27 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

They will only play regular CD's and CD-R's. Make sure you put them in the right way (upside down)
Old 01-15-08, 05:55 PM
shuiyuan
Rookie

upside down?? you mean the label side down and the data reading surface up??
Old 01-15-08, 07:11 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

Originally Posted by shuiyuan
upside down?? you mean the label side down and the data reading surface up??
Affirmative
Old 01-15-08, 07:39 PM
powerwave
Lead Lap

hmmm. maybe i should try this upside down cd thing on the es250. lol
Old 01-15-08, 07:41 PM
shuiyuan
Rookie

damn, all the cd changers on my other cars are label top and data side down just like the way you put your DVD in these DVD players. and my car is 94 so for sure it is opposite?
Old 01-15-08, 08:07 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Originally Posted by shuiyuan
damn, all the cd changers on my other cars are label top and data side down just like the way you put your DVD in these DVD players. and my car is 94 so for sure it is opposite?
For sure...100% guaranteed...absolutely...data side up.
Try it...you'll like it

Last edited by Lexucan; 01-15-08 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-08-08, 11:33 PM
big basset
Driver

Thanks..i had the same "ERR" message...you have to put the cds upside down for it to work. It even says on the cd 6 disc cartride to insert the cds with the label facing down in plain clear test...i didnt even see the instruction..i made an asumption to insert it like any other cds i use in my other car's cartridges

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CD changer won't play cds "ERR"