Canada For events in Canada.

Any recommendations for Tinting in Toronto?

Old 04-27-08, 08:25 PM
RudeDoggy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any recommendations for Tinting in Toronto?

Hello GTAers,

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for tinting places, or tinting in general. Are people getting ceramic tints or metallic? Anyone experience any adverse affects (with radio reception or navi) with metallic tint? I'm thinking it's a non-issue (I had metallic tint in my Maxima without navi but radio stations seemed to come in fine).

Right now I'm thinking of getting 3M metallic tint (unless anyone else has any recommendations), even tint all around (35% or possibly 30%). I drive an 08 obsidian on black GS350 AWD so I don't want it to be a super-blacked out car...

Any suggestions on types of tints or where to get a quality job done for a great price would be greatly appreciated. A search here came up with a couple of threads from 2006... Thanks!

P.S. Any other 3GS owners in the Toronto area? Seems like everyone drives a 1IS or 2IS according to the posts here...
Old 04-27-08, 10:35 PM
Frankie_B
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,

I did my white ES300 at FX Auto in Markham: http://www.fxauto.com/
Cost was $300 for their Pinnacle non-metallic film. They offer lifetime warranty. It's a Formula1 film AFAIK. I went for 35% front, 15% back, and quite like the combo. Would probably go for 15 all around if I was doing it all over again.
Old 04-27-08, 11:15 PM
charmz
Lead Lap

Thornhill Tint did a good job on my car and seem to have a very good reputation.
I did 20% all around non-metallic.
I forget the brand but it came with lifetime warranty and cost me $250 cash.
The guy there talked me out of metallic tints due my nav head unit.
Old 04-28-08, 07:01 PM
spider_55
Driver

I too am looking for non-metallic tints, and am also trying to find a place that uses the 3M brand (colour stable) or huper optik ceramic. I have heard good things about formulaone tint (pinnacle), but I want 20-30%. 35% might be too light.

Oh, and I have a 2007 GS350 AWD (BSP).

If you want metallic, and are looking for a good installer, I used tintmaster.com on my IS and they did a great job. Service was also A+. They only have SolarGuard tint, so I am going to look elsewhere this time, so please let me know if you find a place that uses Huper.

EDIT: www.3mtrimline.ca is a place in GTA that installs 3M tint

Last edited by spider_55; 04-28-08 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-29-08, 11:09 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up

I went with Tintmaster in Mississauga (I know the owner - James) & got Solar Gard 20% charcoal on all my windows. They do fantastic work I came all the way in from St. Thomas to have it done they are that good) & would highly recommend them. More info here...

www.tintmaster.com
Old 04-29-08, 05:08 PM
RudeDoggy
Pole Position

I think my newbness is showing. I don't know a whole lot about tinting and options out there, which brands are the ones to go with, ceramic vs metallic vs non-metallic.

Can someone give me a very basic primer on the differences of each (pros/cons)? I get the idea that ceramic tints are very expensive and possibly not worth the extra coin versus regular non-metallic tint (3M Colorstable apparently is a good one)?

Thanks everyone for the input so far!
Old 04-29-08, 06:20 PM
spider_55
Driver

I am scheduled to get my 3M colour stable tint - 35% next week. $350

www.3mtrimline.ca

It won't interfere with nav, radar, comfort access, radio reception, etc..., and keep its black look for life.

I have heard good things about this tint, so I figured why not... My other car is 20% all around, plus 80% on the windshield. I think it looks great on a silver car, but would be too dark on this colour, and is sometimes difficult to see when dark (especially parking).

resources:
www.tintdude.com
www.tintcenter.com

Last edited by spider_55; 04-29-08 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-29-08, 06:26 PM
spider_55
Driver

Old 04-29-08, 09:02 PM
RudeDoggy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spider_55
I am scheduled to get my 3M colour stable tint - 35% next week. $350

www.3mtrimline.ca

It won't interfere with nav, radar, comfort access, radio reception, etc..., and keep its black look for life.

I have heard good things about this tint, so I figured why not... My other car is 20% all around, plus 80% on the windshield. I think it looks great on a silver car, but would be too dark on this colour, and is sometimes difficult to see when dark (especially parking).

resources:
www.tintdude.com
www.tintcenter.com
Thanks for the great links! Think you can post some pics of the car once it's tinted? I would prefer 30% tints but I'd like to see what 35% 3M looks like.
Old 05-04-08, 02:03 AM
omgswifty
Pole Position

FX Auto in GTA, top notch service combined with excellent tints.

Had my 2IS done there with 5 back and 35 fronts.
Old 06-22-08, 07:26 PM
spider_55
Driver

I ended up getting the 3M CS 35. It is a really good quality tint, but the install at 3mtrimline was not professional. I have bubbles in the rear and front side windows as well as the back, and my car was absolutely filthy when I got it back. Ask if you can buy the tint, and just get it installed somewhere else.

The 35% is really too light with the tan interior, but it is much easier to see out at night then my other car with 20%, so I can live with my choice. But if you want privacy, don't get 35% tint.

Old 07-06-08, 08:39 PM
RudeDoggy
Pole Position

I ended up getting my tinting done at Thornhill Tints in Richmond Hill (Bayview/Elgin Mills). I found a group buy on a BMW forum (e90post.com). Although the posts say the prices are good till the end of July, apparently they were only good to the end of June.

I ended up getting Llumar ATX 30% all around installed for $250. I thought this was a fair price since FX Auto charges closer to $300 for FormulaOne Pinnacle (which, for all intents and purposes, is very similar to the ATX). It's been two days so far and so far I'm very happy with it. They are really friendly there and answered all my questions.

Either way, thank you everyone for the suggestions and tips. I would post pics but a) my car is dirty, and b) my camera is broken (needs to be sent in).
Old 07-06-08, 10:08 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

spider i would go back and have them take the bubbles out . Did they not tell you the some bubbles will disappear after a few days ?
Also 3m trim-line are arrogant bastards but they are the best for installing bras and tint.

I had mine done at thornhill tints by Richard and to say the least i am pissed off with it not being perfect .
Old 07-07-08, 05:39 PM
spider_55
Driver

Originally Posted by skperformance
spider i would go back and have them take the bubbles out . Did they not tell you the some bubbles will disappear after a few days ?
Also 3m trim-line are arrogant bastards but they are the best for installing bras and tint.

I had mine done at thornhill tints by Richard and to say the least i am pissed off with it not being perfect .
I actually waited 1 week before calling them about the bubbles, and even now after 3 weeks, it still has bubbles. They never mentioned it, but I had tint installed on my IS and knew I had to wait a couple of days.

I am going to go back, as they have told me they would fix it. It's just a pain in the *** when I wish they did it right the first time.
Old 07-07-08, 10:11 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sure is a pain , even more surprising that happened going to them.
They only do high end cars for a reason.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any recommendations for Tinting in Toronto?