RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Hooking up a Subwoofer, Need amp wiring diagram for RX400h/RX330/RX350

Old 12-18-08, 08:01 AM
NeoNz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ps. incase anyone didn't see,

if you want the best sound for your sub, tap into the factory amp.

wires are
front driver: +pink/-black
front passenger: +purple / -white

i shall post updated results soon
Old 12-18-08, 04:42 PM
LophatRX
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That is crazy what you did. I noticed we have a different amp too. As I thought there could be a difference cause you have the 400 and I have a 330. So we are going to have some different connections. But did you connect to the smaller thinner wires for the amp. I used the larger wires of the big plug on the amp. But like I did say before I notice the bass from my set up is starting to blend well with the rest of the system. And it works well at higher volumes, and at lower volumes it doesn't matter so much since many times when I am in there I am with my family anyway.
Old 12-19-08, 09:45 AM
NeoNz
Driver

Originally Posted by LophatRX
That is crazy what you did. I noticed we have a different amp too. As I thought there could be a difference cause you have the 400 and I have a 330. So we are going to have some different connections. But did you connect to the smaller thinner wires for the amp. I used the larger wires of the big plug on the amp. But like I did say before I notice the bass from my set up is starting to blend well with the rest of the system. And it works well at higher volumes, and at lower volumes it doesn't matter so much since many times when I am in there I am with my family anyway.
i shall test this over the weeeknd, didnt have any time last night as we had to put snow tires on my buddies range rover. stupid snow here... GO AWAY!!!!!
Old 12-19-08, 09:47 AM
NeoNz
Driver

Originally Posted by NeoNz
i shall test this over the weeeknd, didnt have any time last night as we had to put snow tires on my buddies range rover. stupid snow here... GO AWAY!!!!!
im going to post pics of my car next week, i have some pretty sweet updated shots you guys will love
Old 12-22-08, 08:49 AM
NeoNz
Driver

I went back in and hooked up the sub to the wires running directly from the head unit to the ---> amp, basically a line out level. It's unfiltered sound, nice and clear, but the issue is the bass is the same regardlress of volume level, so i can crank up the volume and the bass stays the same, not exactly what i had hoped for, but its clear and i can adjust with my bass **** I installed up front. The problem is the bass is too loud with the **** turned all the way down, which isn't idea when you have passengers. I might go back and re-tap the speaker outs from the amp. I'll give this setup a week or so, to see if i can tolerate the sub boom levels from the line-out..

ps, i bypassed my hi-low converter as well, running straight RCAs from my amp to the speaker inputs from the head unit ---> amp...

pics to come, and a conclusion
Old 12-22-08, 02:11 PM
LophatRX
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That is an interesting find. I have heard about some of the newer cars using digital audio output. Maybe that is why the sound is clear and the bass remains unchanged through the range of volume levels. I heard the same thing about BMW, but I tapped into the factory amp of my Z4 using a LOC, and installed a bigger amp and a larger woofer and I get great bass out of it. I could only guess if I run one of my long RCA cable from my Lex to my Z4 and connect it to my more powerful amp, I could get a better idea of what kind of sound a bigger amp and sub might give using the Lex instead of the BMW or if just the factory deck of the Lex uses what some people have said as a bass limiter within the deck to keep a more equal range of sound for the stereo, since again I think 90% of RX drivers don't care about booming bass.
Old 08-09-09, 01:53 PM
richardrx
Rookie

what did you use as the trigger for the amp to come on?
Old 08-18-09, 07:00 AM
richardrx
Rookie

Ok got a trigger signal for amp. It was very simple after all.
From Navigation unit in the back.
Old 03-31-10, 10:08 AM
S76GUY
Driver School Candidate

Default Factory Amp Location

Hi Guys
Can someone give me the location of the factory amp on my 2007 RX 350.
Thanks.
Tony T.
Old 07-24-12, 09:26 AM
Sublime311
Driver School Candidate

I can confirm with Neo, if you want the best sound for your sub, tap into the factory amp.

wires are

The front lower speakers are already made for low frequencies. Better suited for Sub base.

I installed the new Kicker Hideaway powered sub under the driver seat and love it.
Old 04-12-14, 01:45 AM
lormaichi
Driver School Candidate

what is the color of the navigation trigger signal
Old 06-30-14, 12:47 AM
nadz23
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sublime311
I can confirm with Neo, if you want the best sound for your sub, tap into the factory amp.

wires are

The front lower speakers are already made for low frequencies. Better suited for Sub base.

I installed the new Kicker Hideaway powered sub under the driver seat and love it.
I'm going to be adding an amp (JBL GTO-751EZ Mono 750 Watt) between the factory amp and the FL and FR speakers. The idea is to improve the bass over the factory amp (it has a low pass filter and bass boost). The amp accepts speaker line inputs, which I assume the wires you mention above are. If

Will do a writeup on here with how it goes.

2007 RX400H Nav + ML
Old 06-21-15, 10:03 AM
Ismaili
Driver School Candidate

Can someone advise me HOW TO INSTALL POWER WIRE FROM MAIN BATTERY UNDER THE HOOD TO BACK OF THE SUV please?

Is there any hole between the car interior and bonnet where I can pass the wire from please?

Lexus RX 400H 2006
Old 10-10-15, 03:38 PM
smesseng
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I has best luck working from the front speakers. Tapped into the rear speaker outputs, and didn't seem to be getting low frequency signal - but I realized after my initial setup that my hookup wires weren't solid... Thanks for the wiring info though guys - that helped a lot.

As far as the amp wiring - I ran that under the passenger side trim (popped the foot panels on the front/rear passenger doors), and pulled it through the port in the front passenger footwell (just above the panel below the glove box). I punched a small hole in the seal, and pulled it through with a piece of smaller wire. Routed the rear back under the trim behind the rear passenger-side seat. Seemed pretty clean. Running my sub controller on the driver side to mount between the console and the driver seat for easy access.

Thanks for all the help - couldn't have done it without the forum assist!
Old 12-10-15, 10:22 AM
LYVEWIRE
5th Gear

I was looking to have a sub and amp added via Best Buy. Prior to getting this 2005 RX 330 I had a 2010 Avalon and the sub and amp was ran separate from the factory amp and 12 speaker JBL speaker system I believe. It sounded good so I'm hoping to get back to the premium sound i had. Just had a few questions:

- Based on what I read is it best to use factory amp and not my own?

- does anyone have pictures of where they placed their sub speaker and amp if they used their own. (someone told me using the storage compartment was a bad idea since the amp needs to cool). I wanted to avoid having it drilled in the back of the rear seats or floor of the trunk in case I need to let seats down for picking up furniture on the fly and need to remove the amp and sub box)

- I do not have the Mark Levinson sound system. Any simple instructions I should advise Best Buy? (I doubt he'd read all of this although I did find it helpful).

-I'm also looking to have him add a cutoff switch when I want to cut of sub on the fly. Any issues doing with this?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hooking up a Subwoofer, Need amp wiring diagram for RX400h/RX330/RX350