RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models
Old 12-15-14, 04:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Reset for car after disconnecting & reconnecting the battery?

Old 01-10-09, 01:13 PM
eagle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reset for car after disconnecting & reconnecting the battery?

Hi,

The battery on my wife's 07 RX350 was replaced in late November. She was advised to drive it regularly so as not to run it down due to inactivity.

Knowing she'd be out of town for a month, we figured we'd just disconnect the battery like we'd done with our other cars. (Negative post was disconnected)

She connected the battery today and it started just fine. She had to reset the seats, radio, steering column, etc.

She noticed that the only the driver side window goes up and down. None of the other three windows work. She hasn't checked the moonroof.

She also noticed that when you turn off the car, it sounds almost like a jet engine that whines/winds down vs. a simple quick engine cutoff.

Questions:
- Is there a reset for the windows?
- Is the whining wind down sound the engine makes upon turning it off require some sort of a "reset" also? Done by the dealer perhaps?

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
eagle
Old 01-10-09, 01:48 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

There is a dealer checklist of things to reset when power has been removed. For the windows I believe you need to go to each window and hold the button until the window goes all the way down and back up. For the roof you need to hold the tilt button until the roof tilts, closes, slides back and then slides forward then release. The easiest way to deal with long term storage is to buy a battery minder device. These can be had for as little as $25 at times and will keep your battery in good health.

You might also have lost some of your specific custom settings by removing the power, I can't recall if that is saved in non-volatile memory.

This process has also cleared your car's driving style memory. The vehicle learns from your driving and fine tunes the way it drives based on that history.
Old 01-10-09, 03:57 PM
RhoXS
Rookie

To reset the windows after disconnecting the battery:

Go to the local switch at each window (not from the driver's door) and manually run the window full down then full up. This must be done at each door as each window is individually manually reset by doing this. The windows will then operate automatically from both the local switch on each door and the remote switches on the driver's door.

As soon as I figure out how to reset the moon roof I will post direction on that too.

I disconnected the battery in an unsuccessful attempt to get a Hybrid 5.1/7.1 Nav disc to work. We later noticed the windows and roof were not working either properly or at all. We were just going to wait to the 1000 mile service in a few weeks to get this resolved but now that I know what caused the problem I will simply do the resetting myself.
Old 01-10-09, 04:34 PM
RhoXS
Rookie

I just managed to reset my roof so it works correctly. Unfortunately, I am not exactly sure what I did but it had something to do with manually running it full open and full closed along with some manipulation of the tilt switch.
Old 01-11-09, 05:03 AM
eagle
Driver School Candidate

Thanks.

Going to each window and running a cycle of up and down and holding the button a few seconds longer after it is all the way up worked.

Appreciate all the help.

r,
eagle
Old 09-06-10, 04:10 PM
Howiefied
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just wanted to say thank god for this thread, i was going nuts trying to work out why my passenger window wouldn't roll from the drivers control panel.

Many thanks to esp to rhoxs.
Old 09-06-10, 10:10 PM
richonline
Rookie

Great info thanks
Originally Posted by jfelbab
There is a dealer checklist of things to reset when power has been removed. For the windows I believe you need to go to each window and hold the button until the window goes all the way down and back up. For the roof you need to hold the tilt button until the roof tilts, closes, slides back and then slides forward then release. The easiest way to deal with long term storage is to buy a battery minder device. These can be had for as little as $25 at times and will keep your battery in good health.

You might also have lost some of your specific custom settings by removing the power, I can't recall if that is saved in non-volatile memory.

This process has also cleared your car's driving style memory. The vehicle learns from your driving and fine tunes the way it drives based on that history.
Old 09-07-10, 06:45 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Disconnecting the battery is a pain, and not near as good for the battery as a trickle charger, the most popular kind being the "Battery Tender." This charges the battery with a small charge and, to prevent damage from overcharging, senses a full charge and turns off the charging until needed. They are designed for long term storage of autos, motorcycles, etc.
They are not expensive, and come with a connector that attaches tightly to the battery contacts and terminates in a quick disconnect plug that you can leave accessible by the wipers or out the grill, etc.
For the situation you describe, this would be highly recommended.
Old 09-07-10, 07:25 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Plus 2 on the above ^^.

Great battery saver. It is a pain to re-initialize everything.
Old 10-20-10, 05:30 AM
chaskim
Pole Position

Default Thanks

One more reason why CL is a great place to share information and make friends and enjoy the ownership of a Lexus,

Thanks I needed this information
Old 07-07-14, 06:44 PM
StratfordU
Driver School Candidate

Default leaving RX400 hybrid at the airport for a week's vacation

Originally Posted by tfischer
Disconnecting the battery is a pain, and not near as good for the battery as a trickle charger, the most popular kind being the "Battery Tender." This charges the battery with a small charge and, to prevent damage from overcharging, senses a full charge and turns off the charging until needed. They are designed for long term storage of autos, motorcycles, etc.
They are not expensive, and come with a connector that attaches tightly to the battery contacts and terminates in a quick disconnect plug that you can leave accessible by the wipers or out the grill, etc.
For the situation you describe, this would be highly recommended.
Any suggestions on what to do to keep the battery alive in the airport parking lot during a weeks vacation out of town?
Thanks
Old 07-07-14, 06:50 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How old is your battery? If it's in good condition it will survive a week without starting.
Old 07-08-14, 05:37 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

A week! If your car won't start after sitting for a month, you should find out why. Also, all decent airport parking lots have trucks with jumper cables, as weak batteries, especially in the cold, will fall below the threshold needed to turn the engine over.
Old 07-08-14, 06:44 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

All of the resets are in the owners manual.
Old 06-08-16, 01:04 PM
marsat
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone tried exchanging batteries while maintaining connectivity with jumper cables? What I mean is, attach jumpers from new battery to old and keep it connected until the new battery is in place. Then remove. It would be awkward and difficult but I think it could be done and all the settings should remain stable?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reset for car after disconnecting & reconnecting the battery?