Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Lease turn in question

Old 04-15-09, 03:58 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Toyota Lease turn in question

Hello all,

My lease on my 2006 4runner will be coming due eventually and I have a question. Normally I turn in the trucks and walk away not worrying about its condition, tires or etc, but this time is different. I have had to extend my lease once already and maybe one more time in hopes the 2010 will arrive soon and my tires will be in rough shape. As a toyota lease, what will they do if the tires are completely worn out? Is it my responsibility for the cost of new tires or what?

Thanks,

Brandon
Old 04-15-09, 04:13 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbwb
Hello all,

My lease on my 2006 4runner will be coming due eventually and I have a question. Normally I turn in the trucks and walk away not worrying about its condition, tires or etc, but this time is different. I have had to extend my lease once already and maybe one more time in hopes the 2010 will arrive soon and my tires will be in rough shape. As a toyota lease, what will they do if the tires are completely worn out? Is it my responsibility for the cost of new tires or what?

Thanks,

Brandon
Can't say I have a clue about what Toyota does but what do your lease papers say? My bimmer leases were quite specific about four matching tires that were the OEMs or equivalent and as I recall, they were to have a min of 1/8 inch of tread left. Somebody who knows more will surely respond.
Old 04-15-09, 04:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

you should check with TFS to be sure, but if i remember correctly, for lexus lease, you need to return the car with reasonable treads on the tires otherwise you get charged. i would imagine the same applies on toyota too
Old 04-15-09, 06:06 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on my experiences with Mercedes lease turn-ins, it's cheaper to replace the tires with low cost set of OEM-type matched tires.

As OP noted, they are quite generous regarding condition of car at turn-in. But worn tires will be an obvious problem.
Old 04-15-09, 07:05 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to return the car with tires that are legal to drive on.

Just go get the cheapest set possible from Discount Tire.
Old 04-16-09, 05:59 AM
Jherb350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I turned in my IS back in December I was told that I needed at least 3/32 left.
Old 04-16-09, 07:32 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kalvano

Exactly, that will be adequate.
Old 04-16-09, 04:56 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Guys,

I probably could have glanced at my lease although its probably in barely legible fine print

I will see how the next few months goes, and if necessary buy some el cheapo's before turning it in.

Thanks,
B
Old 04-16-09, 07:10 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
you should check with TFS to be sure, but if i remember correctly, for lexus lease, you need to return the car with reasonable treads on the tires otherwise you get charged. i would imagine the same applies on toyota too
Henry is correct here.

I just turned in our RX today and tires was one of the first things they checked.
Old 04-16-09, 07:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by kalvano

Just how much tread on the tire is considered "legal" to pass a state inspection may differ from state to state, but most states have laws mandating replacement when the tread gets down to the wear bars. Those are strips built into the bottom of the tire's tread grooves that appear as smooth strips across the width of the tire when it's time to replace it.

The specific conditions of your lease contract, of course, may set a different limit.....that, you'll have to check on yourself. And barring the use of tread-wear indicators, other state laws, or lease-contract clauses, an old tried-and-true method of determining safe minimum-tread depth is to take a Lincoln penny and hold it upside-down in the tread groove. If you can see the top of Lincoln's head, then get to the tire shop.

And, last, with an AWD /4WD vehicle like the 4Runner, tire replacement is made more critical by the AWD system. Newer 4Runners, unlike older ones, have a center differential, and, in auto (not locked) AWD mode, need all four tires to have close to the exact same wear and rotation speeds on them. The manufacturers of many AWD vehicles do not recommend replacing just one or two tires on the front or rear and leaving old ones on because the difference in rotation speeds will cause added wear and heat buildup in the center differential, shortening its life. You want all four tires, in an AWD vehicle, to be as closely matched as possible, bith in size/style and tread depth, too.
Old 04-17-09, 07:35 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

It's not that complicated. It's spelled out in less than 3 sentences in the lease contract.
Old 04-17-09, 07:39 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbwb
Hello all,

Thanks,

Brandon
I'm sure your lease tells you what you need to know about tire tread.
Old 04-17-09, 09:08 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
I'm sure your lease tells you what you need to know about tire tread.
Exactly and the language deals mostly with wear/remaining tread life.

Just make sure to have matched set of size/ratings as OEM tires. Don't worry about OEM brands originally installed, just pick the cheapest brand you can find.
Old 04-17-09, 09:31 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

to go slightly off-topic -- I have a buddy with a 335 that probably will need to replace his tires before turn-in. His car has 18" runflats....think he could get away with regular tires or will they check that close?
Old 04-17-09, 10:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
to go slightly off-topic -- I have a buddy with a 335 that probably will need to replace his tires before turn-in. His car has 18" runflats....think he could get away with regular tires or will they check that close?
that's exactly what i am going to bring up. i really don't know enough about lexus to say anything, but check to see if they have any requirement in the tires. not the tear and wear, but the brand, model, type, etc...

at least on my m3, it states very clearly that by the time i return my car, it HAS to be on michelin ps2, same as the tires from factory, and has to be more than 2/32 or 3/32 i forgot. so they are very specific.