RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Strange clicking noise coming from somewhere below gear shifter?????????

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-09, 02:17 AM
afcab
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange clicking noise coming from somewhere below gear shifter?????????

When I turned on my 2000 RX300 today I noticed a strange clicking type noise coming from around the center dash area. I can't really tell if it's below the dash or under the gear shifter but it is in that general vicinity. It is an irregular sound and almost sounds like a vent is trying to open very sporadically. It is a quiet sound that you can't really hear when you are driving. I know it is something electrical because the sound still happens when I turn the engine off but leave the key in and the electrical power still on. I figure if any one has had this before they would know exactly what I'm describing. Any hints as to where this may be coming from would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

-Chris
Old 06-21-09, 03:08 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

It sounds to me like one of the three air mixing servos that are in that area. If you do a search, you'll find how expensive it is for the dealer to replace them; and how successful people have been in taking them apart and lubricating them. It's possible to remove the panel around the glovebox and get a better look at what's happening.
Old 06-21-09, 03:45 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by afcab
When I turned on my 2000 RX300 today I noticed a strange clicking type noise coming from around the center dash area. I can't really tell if it's below the dash or under the gear shifter but it is in that general vicinity. It is an irregular sound and almost sounds like a vent is trying to open very sporadically. It is a quiet sound that you can't really hear when you are driving. I know it is something electrical because the sound still happens when I turn the engine off but leave the key in and the electrical power still on. I figure if any one has had this before they would know exactly what I'm describing. Any hints as to where this may be coming from would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

-Chris
Chris
My 2003 model did the same thing if the key was still in the ignition, and yes it's quite. I could only hear it in the garage. I think it's pretty normal but I never had a problem with it. I sold it Friday to Carmax. My new 2010 RX450h should be her tomorrow or Tuesday. The dealer has me in a new ES350 loaner right now.
Old 06-22-09, 01:28 PM
Indyblonde
Driver School Candidate

Default Another common problem with these cars

There's so many comments about this problem on this forum - and the respondents generally agree that it's a servo-motor - I was sure it was my CD player and then I was sure it had something to do with my air conditioner. And now it's stopped and my A/C works fine.
Old 06-23-09, 11:44 PM
RA073123
Rookie

Default servo problem too..

i think i have the same problem too.. sounds like the vents in the ac moving but its not.. it really is annoying.. my car is still under warranty from the dealership i got it from... i bought a 2001 rx 300 fwd last july... i wondered what it was and now i know why.. any idea how much it would cost to fix it?
Old 08-06-09, 01:18 PM
MarkG2000
Rookie

Yep...it's the servo motor
When you turn on the A/C and turn up the temp
to HOT...it stops. Once the engine and a/c is running
for awhile you can VERY slowly drop the temp. My noise
usually starts again near 81.
Got a quote from Lexus for one...$173
Old 08-06-09, 06:04 PM
wvuguy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fixed both air mix and direction control servos couple days back. If you take the glove box out you will be able to tell which one is making noise. After I took them apart, I found out the gears were pretty clean but the grease on the arm contacts was getting old and dry. I think these contacts send the signal about the position of the arm and the computer then sends the signal to the motor to move appropriately. I cleaned the contacts with rubbing alcohol and then sprayed lithium ion grease on it and put every thing back together. So far every thing works great. The whole job took about an hour and a half.