LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
View Poll Results: Regular, Mid-Grade, or Premium?
Regular
10.00%
Mid-Grade
0%
Premium
90.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Gas: Premium vs. Regular advantages, disadvantages (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-08, 06:01 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

The engine management system on this vehicle is so sophisticated you could run cooking oil through your tank with no adverse affects. Your performance and mileage would suffer, but the engine would be just fine.

(That, cooking oil, might be a tad bit of exaggeration, but literally you could run tank after tank of 89 octane with no damage whatsoever to the engine).
Old 09-25-08, 06:18 PM
Whipple1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by USCRugby
Has anyone ever had to put low grade gas in their car? Here in Charlotte we are out of gas and I had to put some low grade gas in tonight. I never buy low grade gas but tonight I had no choice.

I had about a quarter of a tank of 93 in there.
You can put some good grade octane boost like NOS,or 104+ to bring up the points up to the safe zone, they are oxygen sensor safe and is much better than letting the engine ping,pinging is very bad for the motor,I had a few Turbo and Supercharged cars to know about pinging.Trust me, you dont want to see the top of your pistons after a long series of pingingIf you can avoid it from pinging do so because its soooo bad,I understand you had no choice and thats another story,so in your case drive it real easy with no heavy acceleration and if you hear no pinging you will be fine, if you do, then put some octane boost in to be on the safe side,make sure the one you choose says oxygen sensor safe.
Old 09-26-08, 02:11 PM
USCRugby
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I've been driving it easy and I haven't heard anything. I had some high octane gas in there before I put in the low grade gas. Hopefully it mixed some and the gas isn't a low grade of octane.
Old 09-26-08, 02:43 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Name:  scan-2.jpg
Views: 1274
Size:  137.2 KB
Old 09-27-08, 11:13 AM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by USCRugby
Has anyone ever had to put low grade gas in their car? Here in Charlotte we are out of gas and I had to put some low grade gas in tonight. I never buy low grade gas but tonight I had no choice.

I had about a quarter of a tank of 93 in there.

I run 85/87 octane in mine now and then, no problems so far. At this altitude in Denver we can get away with it. Often times I alternate with the higher octanes to bring the Regular mix up a little bit.

Oh, I just made a banzai run from Denver to Dallas this week to pickup some Telios takeoffs.

Cheapest gas I've seen in ages was along I-80 in Amarillo...$3.279 for regular!

I was running 65 to 85 most of the way and still got 29 to 30 MPG...incredible. Was also nice to have a windnoise-free cabin.

A Texas State Patrol dude gave me a warning ticket for doing 78 in a posted 70.

He was nice enough, but geeze...78 in a 70??? He must have been bored, low in his quota, or had a heavy badge that day. Around here we change tires at 8 over.

Whit
Old 09-27-08, 06:17 PM
Nospinzone

You're lucky. That is what we call "revenue enhancement" in the Northeast.

Yesterday I was driving my wife in her Jag in New Hampshire. I got a ticket for going 70 in a 65 MPH zone. I was reallly going 70, it wasn't one of those "reduce the actual speed" deals. The ticket is for $75. Obviously I'm not going to court 150 miles from home to contest it.

Maybe Congress will bail me out when they pass the bill over this weekend!
Old 09-28-08, 04:22 AM
OBI_agent
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
one or two times won't hurt anything, the computer will retard the timing if necessary. if it were me, i'd just not drive aggressive. and once 91+ is available, put them back in
+1....Thats everything I wanted to say
Old 09-28-08, 02:20 PM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nospinzone

Yesterday I was driving my wife in her Jag in New Hampshire. I got a ticket for going 70 in a 65 MPH zone. I was reallly going 70, it wasn't one of those "reduce the actual speed" deals. The ticket is for $75. Obviously I'm not going to court 150 miles from home to contest it.

Yeah, I think the 'revenuers' depend on this. They just hope you'll send in your check and not show up. If it's within 300 miles I always show up.
Often times it's dismissed because issuing officer doesn't show up.

Whit
Old 09-19-09, 11:59 AM
donmichel
Driver School Candidate

Question Gas: Premium vs. Regular advantages, disadvantages

I have been shopping for a new Lexus LS460 or LS460L at three different dealers in Dallas this week and two of them have told me it is O.K. to use regular gas in a Lexus because this maker has a different way of introducing the fuel so that regular gas does not ping or knock.

They also said it is not harmful to the engine altho regular may not get as good mileage as premium.

I have been looking over all the threads here and do not see anything about this. I would be interested in anyone's experience.
Thanks!
Old 09-19-09, 01:08 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well premium gas is cleaner, so you won't have to do fuel injector cleaning as much in the future.
Old 09-19-09, 03:28 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

It's made to run on premium. If you can't or don't want to afford premium, look for something else. You don't want to skimp on a $70K+ vehicle. I run the best fuel I can purchase in mine. BP 93 octane. I'm sure a salesman will tell you anything to sell a car.

Craig
Old 09-19-09, 04:07 PM
Nospinzone

Today's engine management systems can easily run any grade of gasoline without knock (even towing a 2000 lb. trailer going uphill). You can run regular gasoline without any adverse affects to your engine.

However, you will experience slightly less mpg (although not nearly enough to offset the 20 to 30 cent a gallon savings of regular over high test), and your performance will be slightly less than optimal (although not enough to notice unless you are using a stop watch calibrated in hundredths of a second).

I have a 1995 Infiniti Q45a that has had nothing but regular gas since 1998. The car has 171,000 miles on it and the engine runs like new. Once in a great while I fill it with 94 octane. I can't tell any significant difference in gas mileage nor power.

BTW, while we're at it, I use synthethic oil and change it and the filter religiously every 10,000 miles, whether it needs it or not!
Old 09-19-09, 07:53 PM
amdave
Driver

the LS says premium gas only. i would not go against that. i doubt Lexus would put it on the car if there was no reason for it.

a better question is which is better, Chevron supreme or the new Shell V-Power.
Old 09-19-09, 08:10 PM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 17 Posts

I also only run premium fuel in mine. Its not worth skimping & buying cheap gas to have your car run like crap...
Old 09-19-09, 08:22 PM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I run 95 octane in mine. I've seen something in the user's manual that convinced me to use 95 octane but forgot what it was.

Quick Reply: Gas: Premium vs. Regular advantages, disadvantages (merged threads)