LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
View Poll Results: Regular, Mid-Grade, or Premium?
Regular
10.00%
Mid-Grade
0%
Premium
90.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Gas: Premium vs. Regular advantages, disadvantages (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-09, 03:32 AM
Car Nut
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use premium only. Some times I feel that I am more particular on what gas and oil I feed the car than what I feed myself!!
Old 09-20-09, 07:30 AM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Car Nut
I use premium only. Some times I feel that I am more particular on what gas and oil I feed the car than what I feed myself!!
+1. All our vehicle get premium except my wife's RX, because when we got it the sales lady told her that regular would be okay. She hasn't had any problems with 50,000+ miles, and I seriously doubt if she ever felt the lack of "the gusto". LOL, she is a professional bean counter, and it would have been a suicide mission just to even to get her to consider otherwise.
Old 09-21-09, 07:23 AM
smileman83
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chevron, Shell, BP- the octane IMHO isnt as critical as the impurities issues. There are differences, but not noticable for everyday driving. I can tell you before I became an impurity beleiver as well, in my LS400 I ran whatever was inexpensive and drove that car for 190,000 miles with no engine related issues.
Old 09-21-09, 08:24 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

I run 91 all the time now, we used to have 94 easily available, but not anymore.
Old 09-21-09, 11:54 AM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

I run regular gas in my GX. No problems in 85K miles. I do only run premium gas in the LS600hL, however.

I read somewhere that if the car says premium gas required, you should use premium only, but if it says Premium gas recommended you can use anything.

I've also heard the MPG argument. Didn't someone on the forum do a prolonged test with both looking at MPG?
Old 09-21-09, 07:42 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Today's engine management systems can easily run any grade of gasoline without knock (even towing a 2000 lb. trailer going uphill). You can run regular gasoline without any adverse affects to your engine.

However, you will experience slightly less mpg (although not nearly enough to offset the 20 to 30 cent a gallon savings of regular over high test), and your performance will be slightly less than optimal (although not enough to notice unless you are using a stop watch calibrated in hundredths of a second).

I have a 1995 Infiniti Q45a that has had nothing but regular gas since 1998. The car has 171,000 miles on it and the engine runs like new. Once in a great while I fill it with 94 octane. I can't tell any significant difference in gas mileage nor power.

BTW, while we're at it, I use synthethic oil and change it and the filter religiously every 10,000 miles, whether it needs it or not!
I concur. I used premium on my earlier cars that "required" it. In my experience, there is no adavantage in using premium for my driving. In fact petroleum engineers have stated besides a little (10HP or less for this vehicle), it is all marketing. Wish I had the link to the article, sorry.

PS
I average 19.8 MPG with my LS600.
Old 09-28-09, 05:08 PM
jimmyford1
Driver

The manufacturer's test with premium to obtain both the highest mpg's and the lowest emission figures. I have run both in my 08 ES and can't tell the difference.
Old 09-28-09, 07:10 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

a better question is which is better, Chevron supreme or the new Shell V-Power

I can't say specifically if there is any difference between these two, but for most brands there is absolutely no difference. All gasoline in the US is refined in either Texas or Louisiana (and maybe a little in CA and a couple other states). Once its refined by any refiner, its fed into a pipeline for transport to various fuel terminals around the country. All refiners use the same pipelines. Once it comes out of the pipeline at the other end, no refiner knows it was their gas they put in at the other end.

For example, Chevron puts 500,000 gallons of 89 octane into the pipeline in Louisiana and at the same time Shell puts in 700,000 gallons of 89 octane. When the gas reaches Philadelphia, neither company knows which gas they actually put in. All they know is 500,000 gallons goes to Chevron and 700,000 goes to Shell. And since Shell has too much, they sell off 300,000 gallons to Costco, Al's Discount Gas and any other off brand station who will buy it.

Now what can happen is when Shell claims the gas and puts it in their storage tanks in Phil., then may put their own additives in. If they do though, its also in Costco's and Al's brands as well. Now of course if Al decides to add water to his gas, its not going to run as well in your car!

Last edited by Nospinzone; 09-28-09 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-28-09, 08:30 PM
ejthomp
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know why anyone thinks premium fuel has fewer impurities or burns cleaner......

Premium fuel has higher octane...that's it. Same base stock...same amount of impurities...
Old 09-28-09, 08:44 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I don't own a ls400, but i always run 93 in my es300, and i know for a fact the engine performs differently even though the owners manual suggests only 87, my gas mileage has also gone up 2 mpg, this is without question. All i know is that my car runs very badly on bj's and sam's club gas i don't know why. I have been using sunoco gas lately and it is a 2001 with 120k averaging 25 mpg
Old 09-28-09, 10:39 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I run 91 all the time now, we used to have 94 easily available, but not anymore.
Same here; Costco Poco sells 91 RON, and I recall the Bellingham Costco sells 92. But 91 is just fine, no knocks whatsoever. I've run 87 regular on a few occasions, and didn't really notice a difference, so it must be subtler than I can detect anyway...
Old 10-04-09, 01:43 PM
XareeLex
Driver School Candidate

I would never run regular on an LS460. It has never made sense to me why one would spend over $50K to buy a fine automobile, only to run it on regular so as to save approx 20 cents a gallon.

Here's my logic:
For the sake of argument, let's say it takes about 18 gallons to fill up your tank when close to empty.
In most locations, difference between premium and regular is 20 cents a gallon. Thus, if you fill it up using regular gas, you will be saving (18 X $.20) which is $3.60 per fill up.
OK, let's say you fill up about once per week, that's $3.60/week, which equates to $14.40/month, which equates to about $172.80 per year.

Now comes the million dollar question, is it worth ruining the finesse of a LS460 in order to save approx. $200/year?

Surely, the engineers at Toyota did not just sit one day and decide to invonvenience us by requiring premium grade fuel....Or, did they?
Old 10-05-09, 11:04 AM
Mark_Nimda
Rookie

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Today's engine management systems can easily run any grade of gasoline without knock (even towing a 2000 lb. trailer going uphill). You can run regular gasoline without any adverse affects to your engine.

However, you will experience slightly less mpg (although not nearly enough to offset the 20 to 30 cent a gallon savings of regular over high test), and your performance will be slightly less than optimal (although not enough to notice unless you are using a stop watch calibrated in hundredths of a second).

I have a 1995 Infiniti Q45a that has had nothing but regular gas since 1998. The car has 171,000 miles on it and the engine runs like new. Once in a great while I fill it with 94 octane. I can't tell any significant difference in gas mileage nor power.

BTW, while we're at it, I use synthethic oil and change it and the filter religiously every 10,000 miles, whether it needs it or not!
Owners for some reason think they are protecing their car with 93+ but that doesnt seem to be the case in many articles I have read

This has been a discussion in autoweek, motortrend, edmunds and many other mags. Most of them say if its not knocking or pinging, then go the low octane route. I do agree somewhat on your performance point. I have a Twin Turbo corvette and i dont dare go less than 93 in fear of detonation. But I dont treat my LS like a performance car. Only once in a while do i go WOT

In my prevuous LS460 I did not see any gas mileage difference when i went to 87 octane. No knocking or pinging either and thats the the key. BMW's Supposedly states in the manual that premium is absolutely required. And my friends 328i starts knocking in a few days if he tries the low octane

Oh yes, pure synthetic oil all the way is the way to go. I change oil and filter at 10K miles

Here is a good read from edmunds.

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/fuelec...3/article.html
Old 10-28-09, 12:27 AM
JodyJohn21
Driver School Candidate

Between my LS400 and LS430, I've never noticed a difference in performance or fuel economy switching between 89 and 91 octane; but I figure for an extra dime per gallon, I'll follow orders from Lexus and put in premium. Its only in long term durability that you would notice any problems in the injectors and guts of the engine.
Old 05-14-11, 08:17 AM
vancouverl
Driver

Default Regular gas

I own a ml Mercedes and it calls for premium I've used regular gas from new .it has 250 000 miles on it and has not had engine problems . Ls calls for premium as well .do any of the members use regular?

Quick Reply: Gas: Premium vs. Regular advantages, disadvantages (merged threads)