SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Automatically bypass the "I Agree" button on your Navigation System

Old 11-25-09, 07:07 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Automatically bypass the "I Agree" button on your Navigation System

First, I want to be clear. I don't work for VaisTech...and have never been compensated for endorsing/recommending their products.

I recently discovered this very-handy feature that one of their products has.

The Vais SL2i-UP is an iPod adapter that works on 2005-2009 SC430's (along with several other Lexus models). If you're ordering one, make sure you're getting the "UP" version of the SL2i.

Note: It, unfortunately, does not work on the 2002-2004 models.

http://www.vaistech.com/products/sl2i.php - $259.99 (on sale at posting time for $244.99)

I had a chance to help a friend install one of these this past weekend and it just blew me away.

The iPod integration works nice. The device emulates a CD-changer so, you can press the "CD" button on the front of the stereo to toggle between "CD" (which is the in-dash 6-disk changer) and "CD1"...which is your iPod. You can scroll through playlists and it works with the steering wheel controls.

But that's not what's important.

What is important is that it has an added optional feature (that you simply need to enable via the front-panel of your stereo, once it's installed) that automatically presses the "I Agree" button on your navigation screen every time you start your car!

Like all Vais modules, installation is simple and straightforward (although it does entail getting to the back of the stereo, which can be a little frightening the first time). Once the hardware is plugged in, follow the directions to get the device initialized on your system...and you're all set up. Installation takes an hour...two if you're overly cautious.

I know this has been mentioned in-passing deep down in a few threads but, I thought it was something that was deserving of it's own thread because it works so well and I think it's something that a lot of people would like, if they knew it existed.
Old 11-25-09, 08:38 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Do I have to press one for "English" to order one of these, because if that is the case, I rather press agree the next million times...
Old 11-25-09, 10:18 AM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Habious-thanks for starting a fresh thread on what we have talked about deep in others and sharing your experiences! I'm hoping more SC'ers will add this and discover a way to hack or reprogram to get us to see text! My major beef is no text. All in all, I think it's a good value and thankfully gives the 05-09 SC's ipod partial integration and charging and the bonus of the nav bypass is SWEET!

One important note: The SL2 DOES work with 2002-2004 SC's and allows for Aux input, radio volume controls. No charging-no track or playlist changing, no ipod plug, just aux, but still gives you all an option for those of you who have 2002-2004's.

KaiserSea1-no, it automatically bypasses it within five seconds.

Another installation/programming note, after you do the programming, don't forget to get out of "safe" mode again, otherwise you will mess up what you've done and you will not have steering wheel controls.

I like the Vais unit, it works well, but there is still a HUGE market opportunity to make an aftermarket ipod adapter that allows you to see text. Shoot, if you can see text on your nav screen and on your cd/radio screen, why can't you see the ipod track name/number? Even Rx330's and IS250's can do it. I know the answer-the SC's system is an older system, but still. My 2003 FX35 you could see the text, and I didn't even have navigation.

I know some others have posted about Soundgate and Axxess and Parrott units. I am curious if ANYONE has gotten text on any units from 2005-2009's??
Old 11-25-09, 04:01 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

As the friend referred to above, let me say what a cool mod this is. True, it doesn't kill anyone to have to press the I AGREE, but it is an annoyance and just plain stupid.

I got this unit primarily for the I AGREE function and didn't think I'd use the iPod that much, but I am surprised how much better the fidelity from the iPod unit over satellite radio. I'm guessing it has to do with bandwith. BTW, you can daisy-chain VAIS units -- I have the Sirius unit and the iPod unit.

Habious is like a SC430 surgeon and knew all the little tricks to make this a painless install. It was almost like he'd done some audio work on an SC before or something........