Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2jzgte Swap Done at a Shop Cost?

Old 01-19-10, 09:50 AM
wickedsc3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2jzgte Swap Done at a Shop Cost?

Well ive been saving all winter for a 2jzgte and im getting pretty close to having a good chunk of change. I was wondering if anyone had the swap done by a shop?? I probably could do it myself but i work 7 days a week so i really dont have the time to do it. So i was wondering if anyone could tell me how much it cost??? And the details like if u bought the motor, or they sourced the motor, did u have the harness or they sourced it ect..... Thanks

1993 5 speed. I plan on keeping the w58 and stock boost.
Old 01-19-10, 11:39 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

If you are trying to save on money make sure the shop you take it to has done your exact swap before. chances are if the first time they are donig it is on your car, you will end up paying more, taking longer, and probably not as clean.

sound performance is like a state or two away from you... I would make that drive just to check it out.
Old 01-19-10, 11:51 AM
wickedsc3
Driver

Ok thanks im checking into sound performance. I assume they have done one before due to you refering them. If anyone has just a general cost for the swap. Im going to do the jdm aristo motor, and was going to send the harness to dr. tweak. And right now im about to 5000.00 so i was figuring 2 for the motor and another grand for misc parts and harness. and that would leave me about 2k for the labor. I have never had a shop do any of my aftermarket mods so i really have no idea what they are going to charge so if anyone has had it done a ball park would be appriciated. Thanks
Old 01-19-10, 03:40 PM
trufanatic
Lead Lap

the average swap here in south florida is 1500- 2k fully wired and running.
Old 01-20-10, 06:26 AM
wickedsc3
Driver

Ok cool thats about what i was hoping it was going to be. I checked into sound performance and it looks like they are my best choice to do the swap around here. There are like no import shops here in michigan it kinda sucks.
Old 01-22-10, 09:35 AM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

in california my shop does it for 6k gets you motor/misc everything using your own w58 tranny installed so just to give you an idea
Old 01-22-10, 09:48 AM
vinh
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by eliteskill
in california my shop does it for 6k gets you motor/misc everything using your own w58 tranny installed so just to give you an idea
What is your shops information?
Old 01-22-10, 10:56 AM
Dr.Fate
Pole Position

Originally Posted by eliteskill
Brother I'd like to see what a 5-6k 2JZGTE swap looks like. IMO that's a lot of GWOP to drop on a swap period, I don't care what state you are in. That's highway robbery and do us all a favor and don't name the shop that's raping ****'s that don't know any better, it unfair to the community and it scares the new guys or someone that's interested in our cars that wants to do a motor swap. JUST WRONG! Mods you guys should make it a rule that shops that post OUTRAGES price quotes be banned!

Wickedsc3 I'm from the Chicago area (Actually, The South Side! Go Sox!!) and I'd bet my front teeth if you get in contact with some of fellas from the midwest section on either this forum or maybe the midwest section on the supra forums some the guys maybe can help you out.

IMO your swap should cost around 1500-2000 grand with parts like motor mounts, water pump, fuel pump and any belts you need, IMO!
Motor should be around 1200-2000k depending on where you get it
http://www.jdmtigerjapanese.com/auto...y=35&query=272 or http://stores.ebay.com/JHOT-Imports-...34Q2ec0Q2em409

I'm in no way affiliated with anyone of the companies mentioned but it took me five min. to find some decent priced motors (BTY I'm more that happy with my 1JZGTE: 1000 +200 shipped) you just have to look.

I'm just going to add two more cents, I've learned not to listen to some of the elitist here on the forum due to the fact that most of them think it's cool get the same high cost rims, body kit and so forth with hopes of them getting in the next Hellaflush video, the next SC's gone wild video or be the next youtube jdm star sitting on rims that cost more than the car with the same looking skinny asian girl in hot pants (No Assets), Bikini top (Usually A cup), furry boots (On loan from her sister who's a striper) with her finger in her mouth (Same pose we have seen 50 million times) trying real hard to look sexy.

Sorry if some of you feel that I'm a jerk.
P.S. I did not have a bad experience with my motor swap, nor with any shop in any way, So I was not posting out of anger towards anyone, just the OUTRAGEOUS prices that Eliteskill posted.

Peace,
Dr.Fate
Old 01-22-10, 12:21 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

A full GTE swap does not cost 1500-2000. If it does, some corners were cut to make it happen.

All of the motors that you've linked are front sump JDM Aristo motors that require many parts changed in order to properly work in an SC300, i.e. upper/lower oil pan, radiator fan, modified wiring harness, etc. This doesn't include some maintenance items that need to be changed during the swap either such as motor mounts, timing belt, etc. With a 10-hour work time based on alldata and typical shops charging 100/hr, you don't have much left over at all for parts that need to be purchased.

As for your import model bashing comment, we would look forward to see your significant-other to compare and see if your opinion has any backing.
Old 01-22-10, 07:55 PM
Dr.Fate
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SUPRMSC
A full GTE swap does not cost 1500-2000. If it does, some corners were cut to make it happen.

All of the motors that you've linked are front sump JDM Aristo motors that require many parts changed in order to properly work in an SC300, i.e. upper/lower oil pan, radiator fan, modified wiring harness, etc. This doesn't include some maintenance items that need to be changed during the swap either such as motor mounts, timing belt, etc. With a 10-hour work time based on alldata and typical shops charging 100/hr, you don't have much left over at all for parts that need to be purchased.

As for your import model bashing comment, we would look forward to see your significant-other to compare and see if your opinion has any backing.
I asked the wife if I could post any pictures of her online in a bikini from the hawaii trip she said "HELL TO NO!!" but TRUST ME!!!! the BOOB job is official to go along with the NICE BUBBLE BUTT and flat stomach, but since I can't post pictures I guess I'll loose that argument with a smile As for a shop swap, I had my sr20 swapped for a 1k and 1jz for 1k and 900 parts and guess what? Both cars still run like factory.
Old 01-22-10, 08:52 PM
AD_SC3
Lexus Test Driver

Easy cowboy, Okay I see your point about high prices but you also have to remember you are not just paying for a oil change. I cant talk about prices too much because I have not done my swap yet, However from my research T=the 1J swap is cheaper than the 2j swap. 1J just swaps right in. The 2J will need alot of shop time to work and that is where the added price comes from. Plus that sounded like the usdm 2J swap price. Just my 2cents.

P.S I agree the import models are kinda over rated
Old 01-22-10, 10:57 PM
potatoBBQ
Intermediate

$6k including motor/parts/labor in CA seems about right. You'd think it'd be cheaper since there are so many shops here, but $6k isn't that bad at all. I can remember when SP Engineering & Signal Auto used to charge upwards of $10k for a GTE swap.
Old 01-22-10, 11:07 PM
mptjimmy
Pole Position

if you call any reputable shop right now, yes you are looking at 7K+ easily... motor pricing usually 3.5K+ for a complete front clip, misc parts, 500-1K for wiring, SHOP LABOR + other parts.... as per sr swaps, since i usto work at RnD Factory sr swap shop, we were the cheepest and we charged about $600.00 for just labor since sr swaps are easy, motor in motor out 11 wires and its running,
Old 01-23-10, 07:53 AM
wickedsc3
Driver

Ok thanks for all the information guys as of right now im sitting at 47xx.xx So im thinking about buying a jdm aritso motor and doing the majority of the needed parts my self ie. oil pan, dr. tweak harness, and other things that i will still have to search on. And it sounds like 100 hr. is the going rate and come summer i will have to make a trip to chicago and look into having sound performance do the swap. Im hoping by me doing the oil pan and harness it will save me some cash, now i just got to find the time lol.
Old 01-23-10, 02:13 PM
AD_SC3
Lexus Test Driver

Good luck man, remember to take pics

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2jzgte Swap Done at a Shop Cost?