LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Gas mileage...good-bad (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-02, 04:29 PM
LexieLS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 95' LS with 130K and today drove up to Stlouis from Springfield to pick up friends of mine then drove back to Springfield, MO in the evening. So pretty much all highway driving today. I put the total of 450 miles. After all the calculations (450 miles / 18.867 gal.) came out to about 23.8 mpg.

to tell you the truth, i just put the "tornadofuelsaver" in my car. i dont want to think that it helps me but i hardly ever get 400 miles per tank. but i did today. i dont know if that's optimistic of me or what. anyway, i just wanted to let you guys know that i'm getting about 24 mpg for my car. i think my baby is doing pretty good.
btw, the speed avg of my driving is around 85 mph. few times up to 100-120. one person-one way, 4 persons with stuff-the way back.

i also want to add this; do you guys know about the "restorer" product?? i put this in every car i own (just once) and what really surprises me is that the tips of my cars' exhaust system do not have any black smoke attached to it. i think it's pretty good. does anybody uses that and ever notice that? give me some responses.
Old 06-07-02, 08:36 PM
1990Lex400
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know you guys aren't gonna believe worth a **** but I've gotten 500 plus miles with 20 gallons. I have a 1990 ls400 and it has NOT been cared for all that much. My dad had it and he put a lot of miles on it (184k) and for the past two years it's been passed down to me. Anyway here's how I do it:

Inflate tires to 38 to 40 psi cold. (I have michelins)
Get on a highway and drive without stopping at a constant 85-95mph.

I really get better gas mileage when keep a higher constant speed. I'm not sure but maybe because the rpm's are only a bit higher but the speed is significantly higher (cover more distance with a relatively lower amt of energy).
The following users liked this post:
Snakebeate (07-10-19)
Old 06-07-02, 11:18 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

how about a TUNE UP?? type of gasoline used can affect mileage too. in california, summer gas is different from winter gas but i dont think mileage should go south on you like that.
Old 06-09-02, 07:50 PM
GA400
Lead Lap

LexieLS,

The restorer stuff you are talking about, is that the CD-2 stuff over by the fuel injector cleaner and the slick - 50, etc.?

Also, did you get the tornado online? If you don't mind my asking, how much was it and where exactly does it get installed?

Thanks,

rhlight
Old 06-09-02, 08:27 PM
LexieLS
Rookie

rhlight,

Yes it is called the "RESTORER". it should be right by the engine cleaner stuffs. it is in silver container. look for one that is for 8 cyl, there are for 4, 6, and 8 cyl. Whenever you have chance, clean your tailpipe and drive it for a couple days. then clean it again and put the restorer in ur engine when u get an oil change. drive for a same period of time and see the different (if you could see any) and if you would tell me.

for the Tornadofuelsaver, i purchased it from online. go to "www.tornadofuelsaver.com". i paid about $80 for it. and if you would tell me if you could see any different, i appreciate it.

Thank you
Old 06-10-02, 06:55 AM
GA400
Lead Lap

Lightbulb

LexieLS,

Thanks for the tips. I am definitely going to get some restorer and a tornado. As per 1990Lex400's tip, I am going to raise the inflation on my tires too. I will reply back with some numbers off my next fuel tank's mpg. I currently get 17.5-19 depending on driving in city or mix of hwy/city.

Thanks,

rhlight
Old 06-10-02, 09:11 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i heard that above 55, you are losing more gas. when you drive 55, you are driving the most efficient speed to gas ratio. above that, even though the tach is low, you are burning more gas
Old 06-10-02, 10:20 AM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

EGainer is right on the effects of speed on gas mileage. The highest gas mileage is obtained when the transmission is in highest gear(OD) at a lowest and constant speed (~45mph). When you double the speed (90mph), you'll need 4X the energy(KE=1/2*m*V*V)and the air drag on the car is also more than double(Bernouli's Theory). The engine is also less efficient at higher RPM.
Old 06-10-02, 10:31 AM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

As meZoom mentioned, the gas sold in Cal. has variations in additives based upon the season to reduce air pollution. Ethanol and other ingredients are used to increase oxygenation promoting cleaner combustion. Unfortunately, these additives contain less energy per volume than "pure" gas resulting in poorer gas mileage.
Old 06-10-02, 08:21 PM
zxlr8
Pole Position

Wow No offense to anyone here but the tornado is a waste of money. I have talked to many people about it and the physics just doesn't support it.
I have both a ls400 and gs400. My ls on roadtrips regularly gets 26 mpg on the freeway......usually 525 miles per tank. The gs on the other hand is around 375 on the freeway. It has a smaller gas tank but I drive them both hard. The gs will say around 24 even though it is 8 years newer. I get this with the 17s on the ls and the 20s on the gs. weird.....guess just lucky??
Attached Thumbnails Gas mileage...good-bad (The Mother thread)-alpine-1.jpg  
Old 06-10-02, 09:17 PM
Lvangundy

BAck to my orignal post, I re-checked my mileage without driving like I had been before.

It was back to what I used to get a few months ago about 17-18. The big drop to 13 was from my constant flooring and driving in 2nd all the itme.

--I had just put the intake filter in, I loved the sound ;-)
Old 06-11-02, 12:37 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Originally posted by Lvangundy
BAck to my orignal post, I re-checked my mileage without driving like I had been before.

It was back to what I used to get a few months ago about 17-18. The big drop to 13 was from my constant flooring and driving in 2nd all the itme.

--I had just put the intake filter in, I loved the sound ;-)
hey! driving in second all the time??? what, is torrance all of a sudden san francisco hilly????
Old 06-19-02, 09:42 AM
GA400
Lead Lap

Thumbs up

minor update,

I am making one change at a time. First change was to raise tire inflation to 40 psi warm from 32 psi. Mileage has increased from 17.8 to 18.3 mpg. Normal driving pattern is Atlanta traffic, stop and go 20 to 60 mph, some freeway 75 - 90 mph, some in-town. Next, I plan to switch from traditional to synthetic oil on next change (a couple of weeks away). I will keep you guys posted.

Any other suggestions other than the CD-2 restorer and the Tornado (I know some of you dissed it but I figure it is worth a try, if it gets me another 3-5 mpg it will pay for itself in less than six months)

Thanks,

rhlight
Old 06-20-02, 02:31 PM
additude
Intermediate

Talking

Hummm,

When I'm listining to some good tunes I tend to be a little more heavy on the gas then I am if I'm just listing to background music...
Old 06-20-02, 03:01 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

I think I can tune to better milage with the adjustable ECU. Best thing is to keep it on high milage for daily driving and longtrips. Once in a race you can turn it up

Quick Reply: Gas mileage...good-bad (The Mother thread)