Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

DIY - Daizen Caster Arm Bushing Installation - lots of pics!

Old 05-03-11, 11:27 PM
Aerostar
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bushing and shock install

Update:
I received the bushings and finally got the Bilstein HD shocks.

I was going to do it myself but one of my mechanic buddies who works on the side took all the bushing kits (steering, sway bar and control arm set), lower ball joints, tie rod ends and shocks and installed them ALL and then did a tire rotation, balanced them and did an alignment!

While he was tinkering he even changed the key battery to make the locks work!

All I can say is WOW.

60mph shimmy-> GONE

Nice and tight, good control and no feeling that I'm going to lose control in a dip or while taking a bump. Before this - I felt a near uncontrollable yaw from side to side when going over a dip at highway speeds. It was unnerving to say the least. I was also worried about the the lower ball joints going out since it has about 125000 miles on it and I didn't want one to go out while my wifey was driving it.

Now I can feel the bumps a little more than before- not quite as floaty as OEM but not uncomfortable.

He only wanted $250 but I gave him $350 (He even fixed a tire pucture while he was at it) What a guy.

I usually like to do all my own work but since my buddy could do it all at once, had the access to press the bushings and could align it immediatley I didn't think I could go wrong.

The work was reasonable and the peace of mind - priceless.

BTW- Thanks for this sticky- I printed it off for my buddy as guidance- he LOVED the pictures- they helped immeasurably.

Rich in St. Louis
The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (06-09-17)
Old 05-13-11, 11:55 PM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

are these bushings the same as the l-tuned bushings? i ordered from l-tuned and i got bushings with a package that say "do not remove outer shell" and the brand seems to be "PSB problem solving bushings"

the reason im asking is cause on all the cars i've done, all the pieces that had sleeves required that i remove the sleeve (same one you guys have for this bushing) and this package confuses me.

please help asap as i have already taken out the arm and the oem arm bushing is absolutely destroyed. i'd like to drive around tonight

edit: i got my answer. bushing couldnt have went in with the sleeve on. its just way too tight.

im gonna do the other side and i do all this stuff in my garage. i always diy my stuff since i've been working on cars since i was 7 (father was a mechanic. i grew up this way). but i could write up a diy that you could do totally in your garage. lemme know asap before i do the other side. i plan on doing it sunday morning 5/15/2011

Last edited by marshun; 05-14-11 at 03:35 AM.
Old 05-14-11, 07:37 AM
NickW
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got the same bushings in as you marshun. I'd definitely like to see you do a DIY. I'm planning on doing this in my garage as well. Did you not need a press to install these?
Old 05-14-11, 01:25 PM
marshun
Advanced

Originally Posted by NickW
I just got the same bushings in as you marshun. I'd definitely like to see you do a DIY. I'm planning on doing this in my garage as well. Did you not need a press to install these?
nope. no press. there are supplies you'll need though. pretty busy today but i just wanted to check. i'll take a ton of pictures tomorrow (i hope i can fit it in tomorrow) and i'll make a thread and throw the link in here as well. dont wanna take away from this sticky.
Old 05-15-11, 12:49 AM
marshun
Advanced

i was supposed to get my new ball joints in TODAY and guess what happens? thats right. ball joint decides to let go! at least it happened in the parking lot . so it may be a while before i do the write up. gotta sort out some things.
Old 05-15-11, 07:02 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by marshun
nope. no press. there are supplies you'll need though. pretty busy today but i just wanted to check. i'll take a ton of pictures tomorrow (i hope i can fit it in tomorrow) and i'll make a thread and throw the link in here as well. dont wanna take away from this sticky.
I'd be curious to see how you did yours, so please post the link. Although just to be clear, I did mine in my garage also (as this thread describes), so I think what you mean by "doing it in your garage" is that you did not use a press (?). There are certainly viable alternatives to a floor press (cutting, using a jack against some fixed object, using a bushing press, etc); I just chose the press because it was < $100 and I got to keep it for future uses. I'll be curious what you did.
Old 05-16-11, 06:38 AM
NickW
Rookie

Sorry to hear about your ball joints. Just make your thread when you can, no worries.
Old 09-12-11, 01:18 PM
lwdwn1
Driver School Candidate

Ive email these guys a couple of time to get these bushings but have not gotten a response yet. Has anyone else had this problem, does anyone have a number for them?
Old 10-27-11, 07:02 AM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

So i getting ready to order the control arm bushing set from daizen. What actually comes in the kit is it just the front caster arm and lower control arm bushings, so 4 bushings in total? Also does anyone know if tm has any for sale because usually theyre out ofstock. Thanks.
Old 11-14-11, 08:47 AM
StarkoS14
Pole Position

I advise against these... I HATED MINE... waste of money imo... I like the TRD bushings better and they are basically the same price. FIGS is coming out with a couple new options soon too. cant wait!
Old 11-15-11, 08:21 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Just did this with the shocks. I found that if you put a load on the suspension, it takes the tension off the caster arm. The caster arm comes out easier and lines up when installing it without having to force it.
Old 11-19-11, 09:15 PM
aristo123
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just did my bushings today. I went with the l-tuned/carson bushings and yes, i did leave the outer sleeve and re-used the inner sleeve. If you didnt use the outer sleeve then you may have wiggle room when your driving. It might have felt tight putting them in by hand but once the cars load is on them they might give to much. I might be wrong though. I used a press to push them in. First i removed all the rubber, then chiseled out all the small pieces of rubber, then for the inner sleeve i used my grinder and grounded off all the rubber i could off that. Then lubed the arm, the bushing and the sleeve. I pressed the inner sleeve into the bushing first, then the whole bushing into the arm. Its alot easier if you have a press.
Name:  PART951321762475840.jpg
Views: 1485
Size:  91.5 KB
Name:  PART951321762477603.jpg
Views: 1472
Size:  87.2 KB
Name:  PART951321762473543.jpg
Views: 1455
Size:  42.2 KB
Here are some photos of the the two different bushings. The left is for 98-00 the right is for 01-05. Look closely at the size difference. Also, look at the package, it has two different part numbers. Left is 536 and the right is 537. When ordering these, you have to be specific as to what year you have.
Name:  PART951321762474984.jpg
Views: 1477
Size:  88.8 KB
Name:  PART951321762474066.jpg
Views: 1442
Size:  94.0 KB
left one has a smaller yet taller end. That end goes upward, toward the car. The bushing on the right is the same size on both ends, so that one you cant get wrong. Except when you install the inner sleeve. The inner sleeve goes in with the widest opening up. It wont fit any other way.
Name:  PART951321762478937.jpg
Views: 1474
Size:  81.1 KB
Name:  PART951321762471672.jpg
Views: 1443
Size:  68.4 KB
Old 11-21-11, 11:16 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

That bushing will not rock the same way as the stock bushing. Everytime it moves the inner collar needs to deform the cylindrical bore to make it give. If it does not, then it has a big impact on the spring rate since it will be holding the suspension flat.

I am working on a true solution and should have some samples in the next couple weeks. They are in route to me now.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 12-05-11, 09:04 PM
texangator
Driver School Candidate

I bought these bushings for my lexus (GS400 1998 165K miles). I took it to the mechanic and he said they won't fit but I think it the correct part.
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/199...m_bushing.html
1. Do I need to buy the inside sleeve as well or use the one from the old bushing?
2. It appears that the opening in this new bushing is wider than the old one and perhaps not narrow enough for the sleeve? Is this the right one?
3. My car's bushing is almost exactly in the same worn out condition as Leon's. The main reason I am replacing the bushing is because I hear a clunking noise when going over bumps or uneven pavements but only in cold weather. I don't hear it if the temperature is over 55 degrees. Also, I hear it mainly when I start driving the car and it goes away after I have driven a few miles. If the weather is really cold, then it doesn't go away. Do you think it is these bushings that is causing this noise? Firestone told me that it was my front strut mounts after inspecting all aliggnment parts, busing, ball joints etc. The car handles fine and I just want to get rid of the noise... should I go with bushings or strut mounts replacement?
Old 12-06-11, 02:35 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by texangator
I am replacing the bushing is because I hear a clunking noise when going over bumps or uneven pavements but only in cold weather. I don't hear it if the temperature is over 55 degrees. Also, I hear it mainly when I start driving the car and it goes away after I have driven a few miles. If the weather is really cold, then it doesn't go away. Do you think it is these bushings that is causing this noise? Firestone told me that it was my front strut mounts after inspecting all aliggnment parts, busing, ball joints etc. The car handles fine and I just want to get rid of the noise... should I go with bushings or strut mounts replacement?
I can't say which way you should proceed obviously, but I am curious about what Firestone said. The clunk you are describing sounds like the clunk that my car has now, and I am wondering if strut mounts are the culprit.

I actually might take it in to my mechanic, as I am so sick and tired of the multitudes of clunks thumps and pops that I want someone with a lift to give it a good lookover. I have to say that I have never had a car with this many loud noises from the suspension, totally unacceptable from a Lexus.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY - Daizen Caster Arm Bushing Installation - lots of pics!