LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

04-06 Sealed Transmission fluid change interval? (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-10, 10:52 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Reliablility

Originally Posted by tsslaporte
I just went to the dealer, they did not want to touch the tranny, They did not want to drain or flush it. The LS430 is at 73k
Toyota either has full confidence in their WS transmission, or they really want us (or next owner) to replace them later. I think that if the dealer insists on not replacing something when the customer requests it, then they back up their "not wanting to" with some written statement stating that if that component breaks, they will replace at no cost.
Old 04-24-10, 10:58 AM
tsslaporte
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Toyota either has full confidence in their WS transmission, or they really want us (or next owner) to replace them later. I think that if the dealer insists on not replacing something when the customer requests it, then they back up their "not wanting to" with some written statement stating that if that component breaks, they will replace at no cost.
A dealer on the other coast of Florida will do it. So we might go there, I got to call around some other dealers near me see what they want to do.

The Head Service guy, was Strongly recommending we not touch it, that the World Standard Fluid is good until 100k, He said to change it at 100k, if we change it before it can make the tranny slip.

I was laughing, since they just want warranty to run out.
The following users liked this post:
Michaelp99 (04-01-20)
Old 03-04-12, 08:36 AM
chris81964
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My service guy said that he does not reccomend I change the fluids. I told him to do it and he said that he would not be responsible of the transmission failed after the change. Does the screen need to be changed?
Old 03-04-12, 04:48 PM
AlexusAnja

Originally Posted by chris81964
My service guy said that he does not reccomend I change the fluids. I told him to do it and he said that he would not be responsible of the transmission failed after the change. Does the screen need to be changed?
Isn't that just such hogwash .... if you don't change it and the granny goes, it'll be 'oh well... guess it just went bad' but if you do change it and it somehow goes bad, then it's. 'See you should not have changed it...' guess Lexus was smart to not give an interval figuring nothing was going to happen within warranty period anyway....
Old 03-05-12, 04:57 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

The Lexus dealer in my area said to change all the fluids just makes sense.

The Yota master tech,I trust him he does the frame changes on the Tacoma under rust warrantees, just today said yes states no changes for lifetime but it can't hurt and he would change it if it was his car. he did not like power flushes. Mine was changed at 55 k now has 160k all hwy miles.

I have a good dealer not a stealer. I bring my own oil, cost of a filter and 11 bucks for labor and a car wash to boot. Wifes Camry 5.11 bucks a quart for synthetic, filter 4.55, 11 bucks labor and a wash.
Old 03-05-12, 05:53 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

This is why I never visit the dealer unless they are giving me free stuff under warranty. Oh I go there for the free soda once in a while too.

They give you nothing but absolute BS
Old 03-11-12, 03:17 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Been on the fence with this issue.

Finally broke down yesterday and bought 14 quarts of WS ATF @ the Toyota dealer. After watching the flush on the machine, I was very glad I did it.

I know fluid gets dirty and eventually breaks down over time. I did not expect the fluid to be almost as black as the container for the new quarts. Could not even see the white wheel on the machine as the fluid passed. Took 12 quarts to totally flush, and since I had the extra two, we just kept it on. Probably a waste, however since it is a sealed system, I do not plan on needing two quarts in my garage. Even if it was a waste, I feel better, and that is not a waste.

BTW, 73K miles on the ride as of today.

Randy B
Old 03-12-12, 06:58 AM
AlexusAnja

So if flush and fill is 12 quarts, is there a number for drain and fill?
Old 03-12-12, 09:03 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Earlier post on Page 3.

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
So if flush and fill is 12 quarts, is there a number for drain and fill?
I believe the amount was posted as 3.0L in an earlier post on Page 3 for drain and refill.

Randy B
Old 03-12-12, 12:26 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

I want to get my transmission fluid changed early .... car is at 70,000 miles

I favour the "drain and fill" method over the power flush, even though it doesn't change out all the fluid. If the transmission is "sealed" can someone explain how it can be drained ..... how do you actually drain out the old fluid.

I am asking because I want to make sure the lube place that drains and fills it does it right.

Also, approximately what % of the transmission oil gets changed this way ?

Thanks
Old 03-12-12, 12:29 PM
AlexusAnja

Well... if we go with 12 to flush and 3 to fill... probably around 25% only is replaced when you just drain. I'm split on what I'll do when she hits 100K.
Old 03-12-12, 12:39 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

If the transmission is "sealed" can someone explain how it can be drained ..... how do you actually drain out the old fluid ?
Old 04-07-12, 07:11 PM
94GS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Change your transmission fluid (04-06)

For those on the fence about changing your WS transmission fluid, just do it. I recently bought my 2005 UL with 109k on it. All the fluids had been changed religiously by the previous owner except the transmission fluid because Lexus does not recommend changing it (obviously I completely disagree with this).

My method has been doing a few drain and refills and once you get the method down, it is really simple. I found the best method is to use a funnel and tube and refill through the engine bay down to the fill plug. The first time I drained it it was really dark with no real hint of any red in the fluid. Definitely not something I would want in my transmission for life. I was able to get almost 3 quarts out each drain and every time I have done it the fluid is getting much better.

I am now on my 3rd drain and refill and the fluid came out red and looks good. I am going to do it one more time and then will be done for a while.

Don't be afraid to do this if you have been debating it. Whether you do it yourself or have Lexus do it get that old nasty stuff out of there!!! It is not magic fluid and that the transmission will not be damaged if you change the fluid as long as you know what you are doing.

My transmission has always shifted very smoothly, but I have noticed that it is shifting even better (especially the 5-6 shift) with the new fluid.
The following users liked this post:
JBrady (02-27-19)
Old 04-07-12, 07:57 PM
AlexusAnja

How are you draining? Supposedly there OS no drain plug. Are you pulling a hose?
Old 04-08-12, 12:12 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I was reading through some threads on http://www.tundrasolutions.com about their WS filled trannys, As well other discussions on WS trannys on a search.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...el/#post429440

Big thread with links:
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...-fluid-change/

Quick Reply: 04-06 Sealed Transmission fluid change interval? (The Mother thread)