GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Outside door handle broke AND Child Safety Lock is on?

Old 05-07-10, 01:21 PM
gulleyman
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Outside door handle broke AND Child Safety Lock is on?

So the door won't open from the inside because the Child Safety Lock is on, and it won't open from the outside either.
It seems to be locking and unlocking fine.
I am assuming the outside handle is broken....but how do I get the door panel off to replace it if the Child Safety Lock is preventing it from opening from the inside?

It is on the rear driver's side door, so I took the door panel off of the other side to see what it looks like. I am contemplating drilling a hole through the inside of the door jam so I can access the Child Safety Lock switch on the inside of the door but that seems a little risky. Anyone out there have any ideas? Maybe some would-be car thief out there can tell me how to get the door handle off of the outside? Of course the names can be changed to protect the innocent

Last edited by gulleyman; 05-07-10 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-08-10, 08:06 AM
2turbo4u
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

beats me man, i would trying to do something withthe handle piece from the outside,pliers or something?
Old 05-08-10, 11:05 AM
KingpiN.SC
Pole Position

OUCH....

I would do what 2turbo4u said, and see if you can find a way to manipulate the outside handle.. otherwise, consult AAA or a body shop, and see if they have any ideas.

Good luck!!
Old 05-09-10, 01:15 PM
rapollon
Lead Lap

It could be the rod from the handle to the mechanism is disconnected. You might try finding a matching door panel at the junk yard. You can take the panel off with the door closed, there are screws on the bottom. At the junk yard, figure out how the door works and cut an access in your door.
Old 05-10-10, 03:04 PM
gulleyman
Rookie

Hmmm
This is good, keep'm come'n guys, gonna call Pop'a-lock here and see if they have any input. Will post when I decide on a solution...
Old 05-16-10, 02:45 AM
gulleyman
Rookie

Ok, so I took the back seats out and looked and looked and looked

I never came up with a way to remove the door panel without drilling into the car or busting up the door panel.

No...

Nooo...

Nope...

...so I took a crow bar to the door panel and it came off

Then I took a flathead screwdriver an turned the child safety lock switch.

The door opened from the inside and I was able to confirm that the exterior door handle was the problem.

Thanks rapollon, KingpiN.SC and 2turbo4u for your replies
Just bought another one today at the salvage yard, hopefully I can replace it and peice my poor door panel back together...or maybe buy another one. Anyone selling a grey door panel for the rear passenger side? Actually I need both rear door panels, looks like the previous owner broke the other one trying to fix the window
Old 05-16-10, 10:35 AM
2turbo4u
Lexus Test Driver

congrats to getting the door open. Don't you also need a outside door handle too?
Old 05-17-10, 10:07 AM
gulleyman
Rookie

Nope, bought one of those at the salvage yard this weekend. Looks like I was also able to salvage the door panel with a little hot glue Had to replace the window regulator and the switch in that door too. Got a lot of work to do on this GS, hope it's done soon
Old 09-20-10, 07:20 PM
rapollon
Lead Lap

My turn, except my front door just locked me out.
Old 09-30-10, 07:43 AM
gulleyman
Rookie

Good luck rapollon, looks like I'm going to be working on my power steering now
Old 09-30-10, 07:11 PM
rapollon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gulleyman
Good luck rapollon, looks like I'm going to be working on my power steering now
It was that bad, aside from tearing up my door card. I had the old lock mechanism as a reference to how it worked. Razorblade, flash light, mirror and half hour later, the door was open. Seemed the locking mechanism simply just failed. Couldn't pin point where, replaced it with a spare and it works as it should.

Thanks for the help
Old 10-19-10, 08:00 AM
gulleyman
Rookie

Way to go!
Glad someone benefited from this write-up
Old 03-07-18, 11:45 PM
bryceis250
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

man i got the same problem. cant open in or out. sounds like complete hell what your saying. could you repost your pictures for me, none of them are there.?
Old 03-08-18, 06:07 AM
gulleyman
Rookie

Originally Posted by bryceis250
could you repost your pictures for me, none of them are there.?
Sorry bud, looks like photobucket took them down a while back and I have no way to get them now :/ best advice I can give you is to remove the back seat cushions to give yourself some room to work on getting that door panel off. The crow bar worked in my case because of the curved prying end, if you have any other tool that is curved or angled like that you should be able to do the same thing I did. I got lucky and had enough of the door panel left to put it back together with hot glue, good luck my friend!

Last edited by gulleyman; 03-08-18 at 06:08 AM. Reason: spell checker hates me
The following users liked this post:
bryceis250 (03-09-18)
Old 09-19-21, 03:41 PM
savannaM
Driver School Candidate

My drivers side back door doesn’t open from the outside either. And I stupidly put the child lock on because my son wouldn’t stop trying to open the door while we was getting food…. So now I’m stuck trying to find a way or someone to fix this thing with out messing up my whole door. The door doesn’t even lock when I lock my car doors but it doesn’t open from the outside so I’m not worried about someone getting into it lol but if anyone knows anything it’s a Honda Accord EX 2001 V6 engine…. Please help me I have 2 kids I’m so worried about if I can’t get them out the car fast enough if I was to ever get in a wreck or whatever and need to get them out ASAP.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Outside door handle broke AND Child Safety Lock is on?