IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
Old 01-07-15, 04:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

My used Lexus IS250 has a soft, sticky dash that scratches and mars easily.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-10, 07:20 PM
kikkomanrj
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try a Mr. Clean magic eraser to take off the sticky film. It may leave a thin chakly film but just follow up with a wet towel wipe down. Do you know of a good detailer? They might have a solution.
Old 09-27-10, 11:33 PM
ISRabbit
Rookie

Originally Posted by OPTiK
Doesn't windex have ammonia in it? ie bad for dash?
Correct, but they make an amonia free windex. Like the stuff you use when you have tinted windows. My apologies should have stated that.
Old 09-28-10, 02:35 AM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think there's say a "problem" with the dash, I think it's all user error. See my car has never seen a garage or much shade besides night time and my dash is fine after 3 years. What I do notice is that a lot of people have some sort of OCD with shiny dashes and they drown the entire dash in all sorts of "shiny" chemicals that I'm sure those oils or synthetics don't take too well to extreme heat right in front of the windshield.
Old 09-28-10, 03:07 AM
timgs300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XhyDra
I don't think there's say a "problem" with the dash, I think it's all user error. See my car has never seen a garage or much shade besides night time and my dash is fine after 3 years. What I do notice is that a lot of people have some sort of OCD with shiny dashes and they drown the entire dash in all sorts of "shiny" chemicals that I'm sure those oils or synthetics don't take too well to extreme heat right in front of the windshield.
I do believe there is a problem. I have had cars out in the elements like yours for years and like you say everything is fine. With my 02 IS300, it was garaged. No chemicals ever used to clean the dash except water and a soft rag. It started with the airbag cover. Then the whole dash. Definitely some kind of OEM defect. And as chrisyano said he had his dash replaced under warranty. Lexus wouldn't replace if it was user damaged.
Old 09-28-10, 03:09 AM
kobi2002
Pole Position

Originally Posted by XhyDra
Not user error. A tech at Lexus told me that it was a problem. Even a demo they had did the same thing. I did not put any crazy things on my dash and it is melting. I have friends who have the same problem. The dash will crumble eventually from what I was told. And the sun no matter what you put on the dash will melt it down the road.
Old 09-28-10, 05:09 AM
leecm
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexusis305
Am a tech for lexus, if ur under warr. Take asap before you run out of warr. And if you ran out call 1800lexus and you pay labor and they cover the dash
I'm out of the month warranty (but under mileage) so I guess I'd have to pay the labor. I would be willing to do it if it weren't TOO expensive.

Exactly which of these numbers do I dial?
http://www.lexus.com/contact/
Old 09-28-10, 06:10 AM
ISX50URRA
Driver

I have been experiencing this same problem for a few months now aswell,

And I deffinately havent tampered with any type of chemicals on my dash either, I've several people with this same problem. I really hate it!!
Old 09-28-10, 09:06 AM
MBTC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anyone give a rough idea of the total labor cost? I'm not worried about this problem yet but in a couple of years I might be.

Also, cleaners aside, is there not something that can be put on it for UV protection that would help? At the dealership as part of the delivery prep, they put something called Zurich Shield, but apparently you can't buy the stuff by itself.
Old 09-28-10, 09:12 AM
ISRabbit
Rookie

Labor cost is going to be pricey. I've never pulled the dash out of a IS350 but I can tell you its a pretty pain in the **** on my IS300. I'd say out and in book will probably tell the mechanic 6 hours. I could be way off, but it should be close. I'm not sure what their labor rate is, but i'm willing to guess at the dealer its some where around 100 an hour.
Old 09-28-10, 09:32 AM
leecm
Rookie

So should I call 1800 Lexus or call my nearest Lexus Dealership?
Old 09-28-10, 09:47 AM
ISRabbit
Rookie

Try calling your nearest lexus dealer. Ask a quote on the amount of hours to remove and install a dash. Then ask what their hourly rate is. That should give you a good idea. They look it up in a book and it'll say how many hours is recommended. Thats what it will be based off and thats how they'll quote you. Then you can find out how to go about getting it replaced with you just paying labor.
Old 09-28-10, 09:51 AM
leecm
Rookie

Is it a sure thing that I'll only be paying labor? Wouldn't they be doing me a favor by only charging me labor and not charging me for the actual part?
Old 09-28-10, 10:00 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe the dealer would be better in answering that question....
Old 09-28-10, 10:19 AM
leecm
Rookie

Yeah, I just wanted to know what the chances are of whether or not they'd just laugh at me. I called them a half an hour ago and left a message with my service rep. Hope he calls me back soon.
Old 09-28-10, 10:30 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Be sure to tell him that you are aware that it's an ongoing thing with their dashes.

Quick Reply: My used Lexus IS250 has a soft, sticky dash that scratches and mars easily.