IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Interior vinyl issues with dash and door panels

Old 11-12-10, 09:17 AM
LEXZEKE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior vinyl issues with dash and door panels

I had to replace the dash pad when I bought my 2006 IS 350 because of the pad turning soft and sticky issue that some owners have experienced. Now it seems like the top of the door inner panels may be doing the same thing. The black part of the inner door panels acts like it is sweating something and gets hazy and wet looking. Am I the only one having this issue and does anyone know of a safe cleaner for the vinyl interior areas? I am afraid to put anything on them for fear of damaging them. Unbelievably bad issue with an otherwise good car. I would appreciate any help or constructive comments.
Thanks
Old 11-12-10, 06:25 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

any pictures? That would help.
Old 11-12-10, 07:28 PM
Dvo
Lexus Test Driver

my dash gets sticky also! I didn't know that it happened to other people, I thought it was just something that the people at the car wash put on it. I don't have the same thing for my doors though. However, since the material on the door handles are really soft....when my nail hits it, it leaves a deep mark....as if someone took a knife and sliced it a few times. I can't take any pics now because it's dark, but when I get the chance I'll post some up!

how much did it cost you to replace the dash?
Old 11-12-10, 09:16 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I noticed that everyone has it is in the southern climates, do you guys park outside all day or have a garage? Or for you FL folks, maybe a combination of heat and humidity might play a role.

Though my car is outside regularly during hot, hot days for work, my car lives in the garage during weekends and nights and 4 years later still doing swell.
Old 11-12-10, 09:38 PM
Dvo
Lexus Test Driver

yeah probably because of our brutal, hot weather. I have no choice but to park outside and when I'm lucky enough I'll be able to park in a little bit of shade. Maybe I should start putting up the windshield cover...and if I were the OP I would start doing it too since he/she replaced it.
Old 02-18-12, 07:49 PM
pdurieux
Driver School Candidate

Default Interior vinyl issues with dash and door panels

Hello,

I am new here!

I am having the same sticky and "marking" issues with the dash and door panels of my 2006 IS350 , specially when the car is under the sun. I went to the Lexus dealership and the service representative told me that Lexus is gathering info about this flaw. The good news, they told me that Lexus is replacing the dash and door panels in some vehicles. The service representative took photos and file a claim regarding this issue. They will be contacting me in two weeks to let me know if Lexus is replacing my dash and door panels.

Go to your dealership and file your claim!
Old 02-18-12, 09:20 PM
pdpgps
Rookie

I keep a bottle of meguiars interior wipes with me for those "nail" scratch marks ans scuffs

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...ertrade-wipes/
Old 07-10-12, 04:50 PM
sxyaeprep
Driver School Candidate

2006 IS350 black/black under extended Lexus warranty. Live in south Florida and had my dashboard replaced because of a shiny spot that created a reflection in my viewing area when driving and made it a "safety issue" and i had to pay labor. it was 250$. Tomorrow i have a meeting with the operations manager to try to get my door panels replaced due to chipping from fingernails, ect and when the car sits in the sun, the door panels become soft and i feel like if i took my finger and put it by the window and pulled back on the door panel, it would completely tear it. Wish me luck!
Old 07-10-12, 07:36 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

havent had that issue but this is what I use to take care of my dash and vinyl
Old 07-10-12, 08:38 PM
fluxx
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

currently my car sits at 67k miles. i am taking it tomm for an oil change, the carb issue again before my car hits 70k (under warranty), and also the sticky/melted dash issue. i live in FL, my car is garage kept 5/7 days a week but kinda moot when i work m-f 8-5. always have used a sun shade but noticed the last few months when i pulled te sun shade down at the end of the work day there were random marks on my dash. deducted it was the dash bascally melting or gooing up..

long story short my advisor said she let me know tomm what they will do and said she passed this the request to address my dash on to corporate. ill let you know how it goes. my doors get scuff marks to.
Old 07-20-12, 05:18 AM
fluxx
Lead Lap

update, my advisor is pretty damy awesome and said she was able to get lexus to cover my melting dash 100%, labor, parts, every last bit of it. remember my car is a 08' out of warranty and rounding 68k miles, so i was afraid I'd have to pay labor or they wouldnt even cover it.

great start for the weekend!
Old 07-20-12, 06:45 PM
BigWiLL345
Driver

Originally Posted by fluxx
update, my advisor is pretty damy awesome and said she was able to get lexus to cover my melting dash 100%, labor, parts, every last bit of it. remember my car is a 08' out of warranty and rounding 68k miles, so i was afraid I'd have to pay labor or they wouldnt even cover it.

great start for the weekend!
what dealership did you go to? Sound like i need to make a road trip! lol
Old 07-20-12, 10:31 PM
Shervin350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

calling lexus tomorrow also, lets see what happens
Old 07-22-12, 03:49 PM
fluxx
Lead Lap

wilde lexus, in sarasota, she said it helped that I routinely maintenced my car at lexus, but basically its an oil change every 8k miles and ive always suppled my own oil, I've never had any other service work done there, none of the big ones, brakes, etc ,etc only oil changes,
Old 07-22-12, 05:04 PM
ISRabbit
Rookie

Sorry, can't help with your issue because mine is terrible. How much did it cost you to replace the dash pad? I'm really curious.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interior vinyl issues with dash and door panels