Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus: Progressive Luxury

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-10, 08:44 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Lexus: Progressive Luxury

NAGOYA, Japan -- Toyota is pushing a new global theme of "progressive luxury" for its Lexus brand, including a greater focus on hybrids, advanced telematics and sporty packages.

The new strategy also calls for bolder design and may include entering new market segments.

It is all part of a plan to unify Lexus' image around the world, said Karl Schlicht, general manager in charge of global Lexus marketing and product planning.

"There was a need to make sure we were all on the same page,"
said Schlicht, a 50-year-old Canadian who has been in the job since January 2009.

Lexus got its start in the United States 2 decades ago and has been the top-selling luxury brand in this country for 10 years.

"It's very simple when you have 1 market," said Schlicht, who was interviewed last week at Toyota Motor Corp.'s offices in Nagoya. "You have multiple regions now -- like Europe wanting 1 direction, Japan another and China coming on. That gets more complicated."

He said the aim of progressive luxury is to strengthen an identity of smart luxury -- where social responsibility and green credentials count as much as, if not more than, raw engine power and conspicuous consumption.

The Lexus CT 200h hybrid, which went on sale this year, is the 1st result of the new push into progressive luxury, said Schlicht. Fine-tuning the car's suspension to provide a sporty ride -- despite mustering only 134 hp -- underscores the priorities.

He said progressive luxury will be spelled out in future models through:

-- More expressive, daring designs.

-- Aggressive application of hybrid technology.

-- Advanced use of onboard telematics.

-- Expanded use of F and F Sports packages, following the IS-F and IS-F Sports performance variations. For starters, the sporty packages will be added to the CT and RX ranges.

The F packages deliver a specially tuned or completely different engine, transforming the base model into a "real sports car in every sense of the word," said Schlicht. The F Sports trim is a lower-rung option offering the standard engine with sporty tuning of the suspension.

Lexus also is exploring new niches after tapping the entry-level luxury segment with the CT.

A top priority is a coupe to fill the void left by the discontinued SC, Schlicht said. Other possibilities include new SUV variants. But going smaller than the CT is unlikely, he said.

"There are new segments developing as we speak, segments within segments," said Schlicht, who joined Toyota in 1986. "I think there's lots of potential future markets."

Meanwhile, Schlicht said Lexus probably will keep its crown as the top-selling luxury car maker in the United States this year for the 11th straight year. But he wants to wind down as soon as possible the aggressive incentives that helped deliver those results.

Lexus sales climbed 8% to 201,769 vehicles through November, putting it on pace to best BMW in car sales. But to get there, Lexus had to pile on incentives after the brand was stung by multiple recalls, covering a wide variety of items that included floor mats, brake cylinders, valve springs and vehicle stability controls.

"The impact is huge on our dealers," Schlicht said. "They did an incredible job to sell what they did."

He defended the incentives as necessary and having minimal impact on residual values.

"We don't think we've gone over the top," Schlicht said. "If we saw any damage to our brand, our company is mature enough not to chase No. 1 just for the sake of No. 1."

Old 12-20-10, 12:19 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just keep showing me the product, incentives are cool too.
Old 12-20-10, 12:31 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A top priority is a coupe to fill the void left by the discontinued SC, Schlicht said.
Most important part of the article.

Yes COUPES COUPES COUPES!
Old 12-20-10, 06:33 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

After reading the OP, almost everything mentioned-pointed me to the direction of BMW. So is Lexus going to turn into BMW?
Old 12-20-10, 07:17 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Lol, RX Fsport. I want to see what that looks like.
Old 12-20-10, 08:36 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
After reading the OP, almost everything mentioned-pointed me to the direction of BMW. So is Lexus going to turn into BMW?
I would disagree that new BMW models have "daring" designs. BMW also is really behind in hybrid technology.

So no, I wouldn't say at all they're trying to be like BMW. That's what Acura and Infiniti are going for .

Lexus will continue to have very comfortable and luxurious vehicles for the traditional Lexus customer, while at the same time expanding their customer base with the F lineup of sporty enthusiast vehicles.

All BMWs are known for sport, whether or not they are M models.
Old 12-20-10, 10:37 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if a RX fsport is a offroad package, yea~ BUT... whos gonna take it offroad?

CT fsport? umm with 134hp hybrid motor? oxymoron?
Old 12-20-10, 11:11 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
if a RX fsport is a offroad package, yea~ BUT... whos gonna take it offroad?

CT fsport? umm with 134hp hybrid motor? oxymoron?
F Sport is all about sport enhancements, mainly suspension and exterior aesthetics. Oxymoron? No. VIP setup on a FR sports platform, Yes.
Old 12-20-10, 11:22 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Lets see a lexus FT-86!
Old 12-21-10, 01:32 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

^^ I agree, at least 1 entry level nonconvertible hardtop coupe!
Old 12-21-10, 04:42 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

"A top priority is a coupe to fill the void left by the discontinued SC, Schlicht said."

About freaky time!! I'll be patiently waiting.
On another note 134hp! How he** your sporty when you can't even outrun a Yaris or Civic. The guy does sound a little arrogant in the article.

Last edited by rogers2; 12-22-10 at 03:41 AM.
Old 12-21-10, 10:56 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

They need a new SC! I'd be happy if they rebadged a 2000 SC400 as the 2012 SC500 or something. The IS-C isn't enough and the LF-A costs too much.
Old 12-21-10, 05:58 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Lets see a lexus FT-86!
Originally Posted by jadu
^^ I agree, at least 1 entry level nonconvertible hardtop coupe!

That right there.
Old 12-21-10, 11:35 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

these slogans make me cringe.

First, acura adopted "Smart Luxury" (but we know they're not really luxury anymore)

now, lexus adopts "Progressive Luxury".

all the other lux carmakers don't have such a slogan.
People know they're luxury; they don't need to remind people.

Make the car not look like a toyota, and let the cars sell themselves.
Old 12-22-10, 05:21 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dunnojack
these slogans make me cringe.

First, acura adopted "Smart Luxury" (but we know they're not really luxury anymore)

now, lexus adopts "Progressive Luxury".

all the other lux carmakers don't have such a slogan.
People know they're luxury; they don't need to remind people.

Make the car not look like a toyota, and let the cars sell themselves.
First don't compare what Acura says and what Lexus says. Acura says things like "we will battle Bentley", "we will be Tier 1", "we are smart luxury", "the market is moving toward us" and other clueless statements or things that never come to light.

In contrast Lexus does not speak as often and lets the products and results do the talking.

How do we know what slogans others have? Have they been interviewed as well? BMW has "Joy and independent", Benz and Audi also have stated their intentions for the future. Please get off the jump to conclusions mat.

I honestly don't have a problem with Lexus design outside the HS, LX, GX. I don't want daring and different b/c people that don't buy the cars say "Oh Lexus looks boring and like Toyota".

Quick Reply: Lexus: Progressive Luxury