GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2004 gs430 navigation upgrade questions

Old 12-28-10, 09:03 PM
russian
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 gs430 navigation upgrade questions

So my nav ecu took a dump and no longer reads DVD discs.

I want to upgrade to a newer ecu.

Is a 2007 prius a gen4 or gen5 ecu?

I tried searching and it looks like gen4 definitely works, but I don't see any posts confirming if gen5 can be readily swapped in.

Thanks guys
Old 12-29-10, 08:42 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by russian
So my nav ecu took a dump and no longer reads DVD discs.

I want to upgrade to a newer ecu.

Is a 2007 prius a gen4 or gen5 ecu?

I tried searching and it looks like gen4 definitely works, but I don't see any posts confirming if gen5 can be readily swapped in.

Thanks guys
i see you said u had searched but if u did, you should have run across this thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...direction.html

it lists EVERY vehicle in post # 65 that has a compatible Gen 4 nav not to mention the vehicles that have the Gen 5 AND if u had read it you would know why there are no posts confirming it....no one has taken the plunge to spend that kind of $ without knowing for sure it will work. if someone could get the pinouts i could find out for sure....OR if someone would loan me theirs i could find out but so far noone is willing to do this
Old 12-29-10, 09:30 AM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

From the research I have done lately it looks as if the Gen 5 Nav ecu's are all integrated into the displays (where ours as you know have a separate nav ecu box in the trunk).
That being said I believe Gen 4's were the last of this type.
I have a friend who has an 06 IS but have yet to investigate physically.
If you look at this site:
http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/Page_Pr...gPicture=False
you will see that there is only the amp in the trunk. This is the same for the GS IS ES RX and LX of the same years > 06
Old 12-29-10, 09:45 AM
russian
Driver

Originally Posted by sakataj
i see you said u had searched but if u did, you should have run across this thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...direction.html

it lists EVERY vehicle in post # 65 that has a compatible Gen 4 nav not to mention the vehicles that have the Gen 5 AND if u had read it you would know why there are no posts confirming it....no one has taken the plunge to spend that kind of $ without knowing for sure it will work. if someone could get the pinouts i could find out for sure....OR if someone would loan me theirs i could find out but so far noone is willing to do this
no need to get all pissy, i was simply asking about gen5

Originally Posted by GSJake
From the research I have done lately it looks as if the Gen 5 Nav ecu's are all integrated into the displays (where ours as you know have a separate nav ecu box in the trunk).
That being said I believe Gen 4's were the last of this type.
I have a friend who has an 06 IS but have yet to investigate physically.
If you look at this site:
http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/Page_Pr...gPicture=False
you will see that there is only the amp in the trunk. This is the same for the GS IS ES RX and LX of the same years > 06
so this nav ecu that's from an 07 prius sportscar, which i believe should be gen5, is not actually a nav ecu at all?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AMEBOFFX%3AIT

Last edited by russian; 12-29-10 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-29-10, 09:54 AM
russian
Driver

well it looks like the back of that gen5 is definitely much different than the back of the gen2/3/4

this is the gen4, and the big white connector looks to have less pins than the gen5 model i posted above
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...item35943ecb30
Old 12-29-10, 10:00 AM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

so this nav ecu that's from an 07 prius sportscar, which i believe should be gen5, is not actually a nav ecu at all?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AMEBOFFX%3AIT
No this is a Nav ecu.. but look at the difference in wire connectors. Its not plug and play.. not saying it can be done.. but not just clip and go.
It has been confirmed (Brain\sakataj) that the Gen 4 from the Prius will work plug and play. We have Gen 3.
Top Gen 5
Bottom Gen 3
Attached Thumbnails 2004 gs430 navigation upgrade questions-prius.jpg   2004 gs430 navigation upgrade questions-gs.jpg  
Old 12-29-10, 12:00 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also looked in the wiring. Gen 1,2,3,4 all share the same wiring I/O.
Old 12-29-10, 02:39 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

no need to get all pissy, i was simply asking about gen5
wasn't getting pissy. was simply answering what has already been answered... in my thread it was answered why you don't see any posts confirming the gen 5 units to work.noone had posted a pic of a gen 5 that i had seen till today and after looking at it, the plugs DONT appear to be plug and play

Originally Posted by GSJake
No this is a Nav ecu.. but look at the difference in wire connectors. Its not plug and play.. not saying it can be done.. but not just clip and go.
It has been confirmed (Brain\sakataj) that the Gen 4 from the Prius will work plug and play. We have Gen 3.
Top Gen 5
Bottom Gen 3
BTW is brian NOT brain lol...

OP even if the plugs DID plug and play which it appears although they close that they not,their is no telling if the pins are in the exact same place they needed to be.im quite sure if i had the plugs from the gen 5 and the pin outs to the gen 2/3 i could make a gen 5 work but i dont have either nor could i secure either cheaply and lost interest in this mod after getting my gen 4 to work just fine

Originally Posted by ntran18
I also looked in the wiring. Gen 1,2,3,4 all share the same wiring I/O.
im not trying to be rude but im curious to see where you got the info that the GEN 1 shares the same wiring. the ONLY thread i have ever seen where someone replaced the gen 1 (harddrive unit) to the gen 2/3 (dvd based unit) it DEF wasnt a plug and play ordeal, if i recall correctly he replaced the WHOLE wiring harness

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-dvd-navi.html

EDIT: i was wrong after re-reading that he spliced connectors and such to make the right wiring and to go to the right pins so again im curious where you got the info the GEN 1 shared the same wiring harness?

BTW if u didnt have nav period it seems you DEF will have to have the nav wiring harness as confirmed by the last post in that link

Originally Posted by wcgorillaz
i have a 2000 gs 300 non navi car. i recently bought the 2001 gs400 navi screen,brain(black box) , and the antenna. i took my stock radio out and the 3plugs fit perfect into the bottom of the nav unit but there are 2 more wire harnesses i need to run from the nav unit to the black box in the trunk and 1 more plug from the navi to the black box and im missing those. my nav unit didnt even power on with the 3 plugs plugged in the bottom and the other 2 wiresalso plugged in?? i was told it is powered on by the actual cars wire harness any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Last edited by sakataj; 12-29-10 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-29-10, 03:41 PM
audax
Pole Position

Gen 4 is a nice upgrade if you can find one cheap. The wiring fits perfectly, although the antenna wire is slightly short and makes for a tight fit.

P.S. I have a gen 2/3 for sale in the classifieds.
Old 01-10-11, 11:09 AM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sakataj
im not trying to be rude but im curious to see where you got the info that the GEN 1 shares the same wiring. the ONLY thread i have ever seen where someone replaced the gen 1 (harddrive unit) to the gen 2/3 (dvd based unit) it DEF wasnt a plug and play ordeal, if i recall correctly he replaced the WHOLE wiring harness
My typo bad... I didn't look into Gen 1 when I was looking through the factory wiring diagrams.
Old 01-10-11, 11:17 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ntran18
My typo bad... I didn't look into Gen 1 when I was looking through the factory wiring diagrams.
all good, i didnt think they shared the same wiring. no biggie
Old 01-29-11, 09:13 PM
oscar430
Driver School Candidate

If you find a unit that fits what are you going to do with your broken one?
Old 01-30-11, 05:16 PM
92sc300nj
Driver

long as that gen 4 system works with yours.. there is an updated disk for gen 5 that can be placed in it so you have the new maps etc. most of the new nav updates are all USB sticks.
Old 10-22-18, 05:56 PM
saiko2j
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

before i start buying ISH, can just just get this confirmed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Lexu...YmqV:rk:9:pf:0