LFA Model (2012)

CL EXCLUSIVE: LFA# 047 & #057 Arrive in the USA. Gengar's LFA is here!!!

Old 03-25-11, 02:54 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
I did take delivery on Wednesday, pics/comments later. For now I will say that I actually have more respect for the car based on its public road performance than even the track performance because of how easy it is to drive and how well-designed and well-engineered it is. I drove the car about 100 miles the day I took delivery, but I won't be able to drive it for at least the next couple days because of the cold weather.
Congrats! Not being able to drive it must be killing you.
Old 03-25-11, 05:01 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

...I did take delivery on Wednesday, pics/comments later. For now I will say that I actually have more respect for the car based on its public road performance than even the track performance because of how easy it is to drive and how well-designed and well-engineered it is. I drove the car about 100 miles the day I took delivery, but I won't be able to drive it for at least the next couple days because of the cold weather.
Another deliverable goal met, checked.
I remembered thinking that the LFA was just as easy to drive as the IS-F going from the garage to the track and back at Infineon. Just one little odd part was the flat bottom portion of the steering wheel is reached when a hand-over-hand turning is done.
Old 03-25-11, 05:06 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I did take delivery on Wednesday, pics/comments later. For now I will say that I actually have more respect for the car based on its public road performance than even the track performance because of how easy it is to drive and how well-designed and well-engineered it is. I drove the car about 100 miles the day I took delivery, but I won't be able to drive it for at least the next couple days because of the cold weather.
Glad your car got to you safely. It must have felt fantastic to drive it on roads you traveled on many times before.

Enjoy it! Look forward to some more thoughts and pictures when you have time.

P.S. time to update your sig
Old 03-25-11, 08:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

awesome gengar, can't wait to hear more from you about the car!

i also don't think dealers really skip lines or so. but that's probably because i think there are still allocations around
Old 03-25-11, 08:50 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

congrats Gengar!
Old 03-25-11, 11:56 AM
Gbrewer
Driver School Candidate

both look amazing but something about the flashyness of the red w/ the red calipers and chrome wheels just does it for me! Time to put my order in
Old 03-25-11, 02:39 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Congratulations again Gengar
To use a phrase from the FChat folks
Enjoy it in the best of health
Butnotfor a few days as it has been crappy out in Chicagoland
I escaped to Phoenix for a meeting for a couple of days
No LFA sitings but Durants serves up a mean steak
Old 03-25-11, 10:38 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jpvarghese
Congrats! Not being able to drive it must be killing you.
Well, I fixed this problem by inviting myself to the LFA event at Joliet/Autobahn CC today (preceeding tomorrow's IS Precision Tour) and drove the Pearl Yellow proto one more time (one last time?) on the track. I think I'm starting to understand why some people get addicted to giving stupid amounts of money to companies for stupid things, because then you get to do stupid stuff like inviting yourself to those companies' events. BTW, I think doing Infineon has gotten to my head because I loosened up the rear tires on about half the corners. I also got a hot lap from Scott Pruett, which was actually my first ride with him. (Sorry, no video of the hot lap this time.)

#26 (the owner of the black LFA who lent his car for the Chicago Auto Show) was also there, as well as another LFA buyer who attended with his wife and daughter. (His wife, who had never driven on a track, even did a lead-follow in the yellow LFA.... sloooooowly. But she sure gets a ton of credit for even wanting to try it!) He spent a lot of time with the PS kit and will be placing his order next week for a Sunset Orange LFA. I talked to him briefly - really nice guy and he is yet another first-time exotic buyer.

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
Another deliverable goal met, checked.
I remembered thinking that the LFA was just as easy to drive as the IS-F going from the garage to the track and back at Infineon. Just one little odd part was the flat bottom portion of the steering wheel is reached when a hand-over-hand turning is done.
The only other person who has driven my car since I took delivery mentioned the same thing about the wheel. I actually didn't notice it during my drive.

BTW, I took pictures of the Pearl Red and Fresh Green samples from the PS kit for you, both in direct sunlight and in the shade. I haven't checked the pictures yet but hopefully they came out well and be at least a bit helpful. I'll post them up probably tomorrow when I have a bit more time.

Originally Posted by TripleL
P.S. time to update your sig
Haha, I forgot about that. I'll get around to it eventually......... I think it took me a month or two just to update the delivery date, though.

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Congratulations again Gengar
To use a phrase from the FChat folks
Enjoy it in the best of health
Butnotfor a few days as it has been crappy out in Chicagoland
I escaped to Phoenix for a meeting for a couple of days
No LFA sitings but Durants serves up a mean steak
Thanks! Yeah, it sucks up here - it was 26F out when I left for Joliet, and that was in the afternoon.....
Old 03-25-11, 11:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

wow, what a cold day @_@

i can't wait to see pics of your car gengar and more from you on it. i much prefer to hear from real owners about their experiences
Old 03-26-11, 05:03 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Well, I fixed this problem by inviting myself to the LFA event at Joliet/Autobahn CC today (preceeding tomorrow's IS Precision Tour) and drove the Pearl Yellow proto one more time (one last time?) on the track. I think I'm starting to understand why some people get addicted to giving stupid amounts of money to companies for stupid things, because then you get to do stupid stuff like inviting yourself to those companies' events. BTW, I think doing Infineon has gotten to my head because I loosened up the rear tires on about half the corners. I also got a hot lap from Scott Pruett, which was actually my first ride with him. (Sorry, no video of the hot lap this time.)
Ha, not a bad addiction to have sir! Think of it this way, you're getting to beat the snot out of and learn the dynamics of a car that's NOT yours! It's wonderful Lexus is doing this. It speaks volumes about the company and their belief in the product. How many Euro exotic owners can say they got to experience a car like their's in it's natural elements? All I can say is to take up on these opportunities as much as you can.
Old 03-26-11, 06:04 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

You are so lucky to get local event like this, and then topping off with a hot lap with Scott,
Re breaking loose in the corners, perhaps it was too cold for the tires to hookup properly.
Chicago seems to be the magnet for LFAs.
It's now 40/40 on the two reds, and 20% on fresh green. The latter one probably best with exposed CF parts.

#26 (the owner of the black LFA who lent his car for the Chicago Auto Show) was also there, as well as another LFA buyer who attended with his wife and daughter. (His wife, who had never driven on a track, even did a lead-follow in the yellow LFA.... sloooooowly. But she sure gets a ton of credit for even wanting to try it!) He spent a lot of time with the PS kit and will be placing his order next week for a Sunset Orange LFA. I talked to him briefly - really nice guy and he is yet another first-time exotic buyer.

The only other person who has driven my car since I took delivery mentioned the same thing about the wheel. I actually didn't notice it during my drive.

BTW, I took pictures of the Pearl Red and Fresh Green samples from the PS kit for you, both in direct sunlight and in the shade. I haven't checked the pictures yet but hopefully they came out well and be at least a bit helpful. I'll post them up probably tomorrow when I have a bit more time.

Haha, I forgot about that. I'll get around to it eventually......... I think it took me a month or two just to update the delivery date, though.

Thanks! Yeah, it sucks up here - it was 26F out when I left for Joliet, and that was in the afternoon.....
Old 03-26-11, 10:37 AM
gengar

Originally Posted by rominl
wow, what a cold day @_@
Yeah, it's brutal. And then it was 20F this morning when I got up. I mean for goodness sakes it's almost April. I don't think I can live in cold weather areas anymore, haha. It's such a pain switching to winter tires on any performance DD and then not even being able to drive other cars that I don't have winter tires for, plus if it's snowing it's no fun driving no matter the tire. Driving, whether on the track or public roads, may be too much a part of my life to spend much time residing in a cold weather area.

Speaking of cold weather I was actually told Joliet/Autobahn is open warm seasons only. So it's closed basically from October to April. One of the PS told me the Lexus event was actually the first one this entire season. That really diminishes the value of a membership compared to a track that is open year-round... another reason not to live in a cold weather area.

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
Re breaking loose in the corners, perhaps it was too cold for the tires to hookup properly.
Chicago seems to be the magnet for LFAs.
It's now 40/40 on the two reds, and 20% on fresh green. The latter one probably best with exposed CF parts.
Yes, the Lexus techs were checking the tire temps on the LFA every stoppage. Another issue is that, as I mentioned above, this is apparently the first event of the season. Obviously they cleaned the track and maybe even did some minor resurfacing, but it still means some of whatever has been laid down on it by nature's elements is still down there and also there is very little rubber on the track especially in the corners.

Of course, part of being able to loosen up the tires on command is just how communicative the LFA is and how reactive it is to driver inputs. Despite not having had much seat time in the LFA on the track, I'm getting really used to the car now and it's amazing how good it is.
Old 03-26-11, 10:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Yeah, it's brutal. And then it was 20F this morning when I got up. I mean for goodness sakes it's almost April. I don't think I can live in cold weather areas anymore, haha. It's such a pain switching to winter tires on any performance DD and then not even being able to drive other cars that I don't have winter tires for, plus if it's snowing it's no fun driving no matter the tire. Driving, whether on the track or public roads, may be too much a part of my life to spend much time residing in a cold weather area.

Speaking of cold weather I was actually told Joliet/Autobahn is open warm seasons only. So it's closed basically from October to April. One of the PS told me the Lexus event was actually the first one this entire season. That really diminishes the value of a membership compared to a track that is open year-round... another reason not to live in a cold weather area.

Yes, the Lexus techs were checking the tire temps on the LFA every stoppage. Another issue is that, as I mentioned above, this is apparently the first event of the season. Obviously they cleaned the track and maybe even did some minor resurfacing, but it still means some of whatever has been laid down on it by nature's elements is still down there and also there is very little rubber on the track especially in the corners.

Of course, part of being able to loosen up the tires on command is just how communicative the LFA is and how reactive it is to driver inputs. Despite not having had much seat time in the LFA on the track, I'm getting really used to the car now and it's amazing how good it is.
move to cali, i don't mind seeing your car in person
Old 03-26-11, 10:46 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Did you get a chance to meet Joe Bacal of JT Grey Racing/Lexus LX570 when you were there?
Old 03-26-11, 10:52 AM
gengar

Here are the color samples, indoors, in the shade, and in the sunlight. The pictures didn't turn out that well especially in the sunlight because the simple P+S camera I used is not capable of handling the contrast, but I still hope these are a bit helpful.

From these pictures the depth of the Pearl Red due to the pearling effect is obvious. This is the same effect Pearl Blue has on my car. In contrast, the Fresh Green is very flat but still quite striking. The glossy character of the green is most apparent from the shade picture.
Attached Thumbnails CL EXCLUSIVE: LFA# 047 & #057 Arrive in the USA. Gengar's LFA is here!!!-indoors.jpg   CL EXCLUSIVE: LFA# 047 & #057 Arrive in the USA. Gengar's LFA is here!!!-shae.jpg   CL EXCLUSIVE: LFA# 047 & #057 Arrive in the USA. Gengar's LFA is here!!!-outdoors.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CL EXCLUSIVE: LFA# 047 & #057 Arrive in the USA. Gengar's LFA is here!!!