GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Tire Rotation

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-11, 05:23 AM
MickeyS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Tire Rotation

What is the proper way to rotate the tires on the GX and how frequent should be done?
Old 05-04-11, 01:01 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Every 5000 miles and rotate front to back, don't cross rotate...
Old 05-04-11, 02:32 PM
MickeyS
Pole Position

So the front tires go in the back and the back in the front without crossing them?
Old 05-04-11, 06:53 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B
Every 5000 miles and rotate front to back, don't cross rotate...
actually some of these tires are bi directional, so you can move them from side to side if you want. I have the michelins which are bi directional
Old 05-05-11, 11:46 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I move rear to front and cross front to rear. Has given me the best mileage so far on 4wd vehicles.

Koz
Old 05-07-11, 04:16 AM
Craig B

Originally Posted by MickeyS
So the front tires go in the back and the back in the front without crossing them?
Yes, my dealer says not to cross rotate...
Old 05-07-11, 07:13 AM
closenough
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Tire Rotation

Per the Lexus GX Owners Manual page 631 (can be found online) tire rotation is: Driver's side, front to rear. Passenger side, Front to spare, back to front, and spare to back.

So the driver's side will need replacement before the pass side. Seems odd, but that's what the recommend.
Old 05-07-11, 12:08 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for finding that for us. It was on page 627 of my owners manual, which I have appended.

We can speculate about why it is asymmetric, but the answer may simply be there's no better way to equalize the wear of five tires without meticulous record keeping, i.e., making sure every tire gets the same amount of "road time". However, there may be another reason that the passenger side tires get more wear, which is because they have to resist the tendency of all vehicles to slide to the edge because roads have a 'crown' to shed rain water ... I'm just saying.
Regards,

SaniDel
Attached Thumbnails Tire Rotation-tite-rotation.jpg  
Old 05-08-11, 10:27 AM
Koz

I don't use the spare in the rotation.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=43

Koz
Old 05-08-11, 11:07 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by Koz
I don't use the spare in the rotation.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=43

Koz

You don't use the spare in the rotation because the Tire Rack says so ... in spite of what is in your owners manual or because you are aware of another reason not to include the spare?

In general, I follow what is in the owners manual even if it conflicts with public information, presuming that "Lexus knows best". More to the point, since Lexus warrants the vehicle, there seems little to be gained and much to be lost by ignoring the owners manual. However, there may be a good reason to ignore the owners manual and one good reason is that Lexus doesn't warrant the tires ... the tire manufacturer does.

May we know your reason ... other than the Tire Rack says so?
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 05-08-11, 02:26 PM
Craig B

Yes, my spare wheel is not chromed like my other four. I think it's stupid to rotate using the spare. I've never done that with any vehicle...
The following 2 users liked this post by Craig B:
Nickk6 (03-12-24), tonyjh63 (07-18-20)
Old 05-08-11, 05:19 PM
Koz

Originally Posted by SaniDel
You don't use the spare in the rotation because the Tire Rack says so ... in spite of what is in your owners manual or because you are aware of another reason not to include the spare?

In general, I follow what is in the owners manual even if it conflicts with public information, presuming that "Lexus knows best". More to the point, since Lexus warrants the vehicle, there seems little to be gained and much to be lost by ignoring the owners manual. However, there may be a good reason to ignore the owners manual and one good reason is that Lexus doesn't warrant the tires ... the tire manufacturer does.

May we know your reason ... other than the Tire Rack says so?
Regards,

SaniDel
I do not rotate the spare because there is no need to add the expense of the fifth tire (plus mount/balance), when the OEM spare can be used for at least 2 or 3 sets of tires. I also don't like the idea of a tire having a 5/6K mile wear difference on the same axle. There is no reason why you can't cross bi-directional tires and by doing so I have found you get more even wear on all four tires. The only reason I used tirerack was because it displays all the different options.

Koz

Last edited by Koz; 05-09-11 at 08:28 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Koz:
jtorrey2 (03-19-24), tonyjh63 (07-18-20)
Old 05-09-11, 06:01 AM
Doc H
Driver School Candidate

Which leads to another question since the OEM tires are usually "disposable" and will need replacement earlier than, let's say, a premium tire. When you replace the tires, do you also replace the spare with the same type if you switch brands/type, or since it's unused (if you don't rotate), just leave it since you don't plan on running on the spare long? Just curious....
Old 05-09-11, 08:27 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc H
Which leads to another question since the OEM tires are usually "disposable" and will need replacement earlier than, let's say, a premium tire. When you replace the tires, do you also replace the spare with the same type if you switch brands/type, or since it's unused (if you don't rotate), just leave it since you don't plan on running on the spare long? Just curious....
I have replaced to LTX MS2 tires the first week I got the truck w/o cost thanks to a great Michelin warranty. Spare was left with an old Michelin. I do not rotate with the spare and recomendations in the manual do not make any sense if the vehicle doesn't have an excesive wear on driver side (design issue). Maybe if I double my weight, it will make sense with the extra weight
Old 05-09-11, 04:09 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Thanks for your inputs, but now I am confused. It seems that our spare tires may be different than our road tires ... several of you mentioned the term OEM. Does this mean that our spares are "not as good" as the road tires? If so, that is a very good reason not to include them in rotation, but how would we know if they are "not as good" ... other than something obvious such as their rating?
Regards,

SaniDel

Quick Reply: Tire Rotation