Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cars parking over the line?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-11, 07:28 PM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cars parking over the line?

You guys ever park next to a car that is over a line and you are so close that they can't get into their own car?

I did it last night, it felt good. Dumb ***** in his/her Fiat 500, honestly how stupid can you be and park a foot over the line? It is a small *** car

Luckily the idiot, didn't ding my car. I honestly should have taken a picture.
Old 08-07-11, 07:41 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I see it happen a lot. It happen to me all the time at school too. It's always some fool in a massive truck or SUV. If they park too close to my car and I can't get in, I make sure to leave a nice door ding on their car.

My mom seems to do this a lot in her Escalade. It's so irritating.
Old 08-07-11, 07:46 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

I park over lines or in two spots all the time, but always typically far away or a floor or higher on the garage, I'm not an ******* I just think sports cars are better than others
Old 08-07-11, 08:34 PM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vraa
I park over lines or in two spots all the time, but always typically far away or a floor or higher on the garage, I'm not an ******* I just think sports cars are better than others
+1, when I drive my lex. I take 2 spots all the time or park far away in the parking lot and make the walk to the store.... except at university.

I take the last cornor spot and go slightly over the line on the left so there is plenty of space for the car on my right. Just in case they swing the door too fast or something avoiding the notorious door dings on a show car.

People understand that if you take 2 spots and its a nice car, its because you care about the car and dont want mishaps to happen.

But taking two spots in a small parking lot at a busy grocery store is just asking for a ding.

I remember there was a guy with a Panamera in an underground parking lot, having a ticket on the windshield because he double parked.

I guess he was thinking better safe than sorry...

Dont get me wrong though, there are plenty of people that dont know how to park and think its fine to have the car at an angle or squeeze in a spot that is small.
Old 08-07-11, 08:48 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I park over the line from time to time, but i do it in an area of the lot where no one parks.
Old 08-07-11, 10:15 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by nvthslex
People understand that if you take 2 spots and its a nice car, its because you care about the car and dont want mishaps to happen.
Really? So you figure that everyone just assumes because it's a "nice car" the person should be able to park however they want? Cause I'll tell you - they don't. That's just downright ridiculous and rude. I park all my cars the same way - in one spot, where it belongs. If the spots are too tight, I find another one. I absolutely hate seeing cars double parked in any way, and I have taken to calling the lot owners and having them ticketed or towed at times to get the message to the jackass doing it. Just because you drive a "nice car" doesn't give you more rights than anyone else. I don't care who you are, if you park like an ***, you should get treated like an ***. Not saying to do damage to someone else' car, nor are door dings something I enjoy, either, but why invite someone who doesn't show the same level of restraint? I find it the height of ignorance and rudeness when people do it. You may be a perfectly nice person in any other case, but when I see stuff like this, I automatically put that person in the asswipe category.

Big Mack
Old 08-07-11, 10:26 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When I go to the grocery store or to the mall etc. Basically a place with a big parking lot, I park all the way in the back so I can take up like 4 spaces so no one will ding my door. I do this because my door was dinged twice in the same parking. I don't condone parking like a *** hat in a congested parking lot but if its a huge parking lot where no one parks at in the back, I don't see the big deal.

I'd park like this if there was no cars near by.

Old 08-07-11, 11:08 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I double park at work. Because i'm the ONLY car that parks in a 10-spot area. Everyone else parks in a different parking lot...lol I don't do it anywhere else though, don't want to attract some haters -_-
Old 08-07-11, 11:18 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree with Big Mack and Killais250. Find a corner spot and hug the wall/ledge/curb/etc. Double parking is just attracting haters and attention. Just because you drive a "nice car" doesn't give you a permission to double park... Someone can see it as "this douche thinks he's better than everyone else because he drives a Lexus,BMW,Audi, etc.

I admit I hate door dings and have a few myself, therefore I hug the lane too but for example I always find a spot to park which will allow me to do that.

heres an example. the red pentagon would be where i woulda park (or better yet REVERSE INTO) the spot and hog the right side where other cars cannot park, this way I'm not double parking and also not stealing anyones parking space and at the same time doesnt bug any1.

most of you are saying "oh yeah i make sure to leave a surprise or note etc. for those who park too close to u, but double parking is just as bad,
esp. if the lot is somewhat filled.

if your car is modded and beautiful enough, dont go asking for reasons for other people to mess with your car!

Last edited by 1sWt2GS; 08-07-11 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-08-11, 12:42 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I don't think it's cool to use two spaces ever. The solution is to park at the end, as pictured above, where you can scoot all the way over to one side so no one else can get close to you. The only drawback with that (see pic above) is someone driving fast or recklessly around the corner could hit your bumper. Parking on the end makes your car vulnerable to people driving around you, but is good for those parking around you. Pick your poison.
Old 08-08-11, 03:27 AM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by HellaG35
I agree with Big Mack and Killais250. Find a corner spot and hug the wall/ledge/curb/etc. Double parking is just attracting haters and attention. Just because you drive a "nice car" doesn't give you a permission to double park... Someone can see it as "this douche thinks he's better than everyone else because he drives a Lexus,BMW,Audi, etc.

I admit I hate door dings and have a few myself, therefore I hug the lane too but for example I always find a spot to park which will allow me to do that.

heres an example. the red pentagon would be where i woulda park (or better yet REVERSE INTO) the spot and hog the right side where other cars cannot park, this way I'm not double parking and also not stealing anyones parking space and at the same time doesnt bug any1.

most of you are saying "oh yeah i make sure to leave a surprise or note etc. for those who park too close to u, but double parking is just as bad,
esp. if the lot is somewhat filled.

if your car is modded and beautiful enough, dont go asking for reasons for other people to mess with your car!

That pic. displays the perfect way to 'double park' and of course in a large parking lot.

Big Mack- Yup in my area the people sure might not like a person double parking in small busy parking lot (ie grocery store) actually might really hate it because it takes forever to wait for someone else to leave....but they dont mind in the sense to bring attention to the owner or the vehicle. I hadn't seen anyone complain to the store manager or write a note.

But I have seen nice cars even though parked 100% correct get door dings.
Old 08-08-11, 03:45 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by NVTHSLEX
That pic. displays the perfect way to 'double park' and of course in a large parking lot.

Big Mack- Yup in my area the people sure might not like a person double parking in small busy parking lot (ie grocery store) actually might really hate it because it takes forever to wait for someone else to leave....but they dont mind in the sense to bring attention to the owner or the vehicle. I hadn't seen anyone complain to the store manager or write a note.

But I have seen nice cars even though parked 100% correct get door dings.
that wouldn't be double parking then.

the term double parking (at least from what i understand) means when u take up TWO lanes or even FOUR (what the Range Rover was doing) which , I believe, is completely unacceptable. The way I would see it is this 'rich' or 'selfish' person thinks of themselves highly and better than everyone else to take up two (Or even in his case four spots).

Having a nice car doesnt make u any better than any1 else

the picture i presented above would just be hogging space? cant think of a correct term for it

hopefully some1 will enlighten me

and yes, nice cars that park perfectly still get dings its all based on your luck. this is why i choose to park really far close to a ledge/curb of some sort, reversed in if possible. now that i bring it up theres a few door dings that I needa get out....

Last edited by 1sWt2GS; 08-08-11 at 03:48 AM.
Old 08-08-11, 08:52 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Recently, while on vacation, we parked our rental Dodge Journey -- somewhat larger / wider than what I am used to -- in the hotel's underground parking lot. There were numerous signs directing people to park within the lines or risk a tow. It was the first time I had ever seen that type of sign. And this was in a newer hotel, with a modern, roomy parking garage designed for SUVs, CUVs and minivans.

I tried find a spot next to a pillar (as I usually do in underground garages) to allow for more space on one side of the car. I tend to hug the line on the driver's side to allow for more room for my young son to climb in and out of his child seat on the rear passenger side.
Old 08-08-11, 08:53 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

I also dislike it when people double park, no offence to anyone but i think its a pretty douchey move. And to the people saying they park in the back of lots and take up two spaces, come on, you know how much it makes me want to leave a note saying douche? Just a pet peeve, no offense to anyone...
Old 08-08-11, 09:29 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Leave a note

Just remember life is short, have fun and enjoy it cuz we're on a floating rock in space

Quick Reply: Cars parking over the line?