ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Lexus Tune-Up.................WAY TOO MUCH $$!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-02, 07:50 PM
dariusman19
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Tune-Up.................WAY TOO MUCH $$!

I couldn't believe my ears when I called my local lexus dealership (Serramonte Lexus) and asked how much for a full tune-up. They Quoted me $1,186:eek: for a tune-up that she said doesn't even include a new timing belt!.

Is lexus crazy or what, I could see spending $500-600 but a thousand for a tune-up NEVER! Atleast I know I'm never going there for any kind of service unless absolutely needed. I'd be better off going to Toyota.

sorry just had to vent.....................I about laughed in her face when she said the timing belt cost extra. I'd hate to see what they charge for doing real engine work!

Last edited by dariusman19; 10-04-02 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-04-02, 02:28 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might consider going to Toyota, if you feel you can trust them. Often they have similar interval tune-ups for nearly hafl the price.
Old 10-04-02, 02:59 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

daaaaaaang, that is way too much for a tune up on an ES. do you know what exactly is included in this thousand dollar fee?? i'd want a new set of tires for that price. and some toyota dealers near me, i cant go without feeling a little worried. and the agent/garage that i originally bought the car from, i'm getting this feeling that they want my car to break down so i buy a new one from them. who can you trust these days for simple car work??
Old 10-04-02, 12:16 PM
dariusman19
Driver School Candidate

I'll Call them and ask exactly what it includes, then i'll post it here.
Old 10-04-02, 02:07 PM
Luc
Pit Crew

My friends have been taking their RX300 in for an oil change...for $95!!! I guess those donuts and car washes must have inflated also. :eek:

Luc
Old 10-04-02, 02:17 PM
dariusman19
Driver School Candidate

Ok I just got off the phone with Serramonte Lexus. This time I spoke to a different woman who asked me more questions about my car like mileage, and she quoted me $445.00+tax which I have to say is much better.

she said it included the following:

-Rotate/balance tires

-wiper blades

-change all fluids

-check brakes

-check driveshaft

-filter

-spark plugs

etc.

I wonder what changed , when I asked about the price difference she asked me "if they asked you your mileage last time" I said no. and she said "then that's why".

with all this confusion I'm gonna avoid lexus at all cost, and take my car to toyota!
Old 10-04-02, 02:39 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Thats BS, my father has an LS400, the tune up on it was around there, and its an 8 cyl. The dealerships around here have different service rates for 6 and 8. Our oil changes are also $39.95 on the 6 cyl, $59.95 on the 8s. Thats another reason why I chose the ES300 over a 2000 LS400.
Old 10-04-02, 03:22 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by SW03ES
Thats BS, my father has an LS400, the tune up on it was around there, and its an 8 cyl. The dealerships around here have different service rates for 6 and 8. Our oil changes are also $39.95 on the 6 cyl, $59.95 on the 8s. Thats another reason why I chose the ES300 over a 2000 LS400.
That reminds me of back when I drove a 318i. The BMW dealer had a board with different service prices for the 4,6,8, and 12 cylinder models. The price for the V-12's must have so high, they put "ask for price" on the board. And it has to be pretty pricey to shock a BMW owner, they're used to it
Old 10-04-02, 04:01 PM
dariusman19
Driver School Candidate

I can change the oil my damn self! i could do a tune-up aswell but I want the comfort of knowing it's being handled by a trained mechanic.

Last edited by dariusman19; 10-04-02 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-04-02, 05:01 PM
blux
Pole Position

meh, do it yourself......a lexus dealership your no better off to trust a lexus mecanic over a car-x one.... Yeah..lexus is a joke, they have prices so high so they can rip people off, but the people who drive the cars tend to have the money, so its a win win situation for lexus..
Old 10-04-02, 05:15 PM
mcelligott
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The dealer will quote you for like 450 bucks but then you'll get a phone call about an hour after you drop your car off.

Phone Call:
"Hello, this is _____ from Lexus of ______. You should really replace your ______, ______, _______, and _______ as part of your _______ mile tune-up as well. It will only cost about 800 dollars extra.

I have heard that call way too often -- that's why i only go to the dealer to buy parts, not install them.
Old 10-04-02, 06:54 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Personally, I don't feel the prices are that outrageous, at least around here they seem to have a pretty tight handle on it. This is a very competitive market and we have 5 Lexus dealerships right here, so they can't be screwing around too much. Plus you get the goodies like pick up and drop off, loaner cars etc. What I did was find a real good import shop, they specialize in Japanese and German cars, they have VERY reasonable prices, and the owner's a really nice guy, he does his own service writing etc.

Look around and find a good mechanic.
Old 10-04-02, 07:08 PM
dariusman19
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by SW03ES
Personally, I don't feel the prices are that outrageous, at least around here they seem to have a pretty tight handle on it. This is a very competitive market and we have 5 Lexus dealerships right here, so they can't be screwing around too much. Plus you get the goodies like pick up and drop off, loaner cars etc. What I did was find a real good import shop, they specialize in Japanese and German cars, they have VERY reasonable prices, and the owner's a really nice guy, he does his own service writing etc.

Look around and find a good mechanic.
Well you should be getting all that stuff for free, seeing that your car is brand new and under warranty.

My dad has a ls430 and gets all those perks and stuff too, send you the free rent a car coupons in the mail and etc.
Old 10-04-02, 07:38 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

If you can do it your self then do it yourself. I had a tune up at Lexus of Clearwater down in florida. They said it was going to come out to a total of 550 to 600 and it woudl take 2 days. I didnt get a loaned since I'm not 21 yet and they said they'd check everything and do everyything. I felt like I was getting a pretty good deal. 2 days pass and I called up the dealer ship and ask them what the hell is going on since I have no car and they dont call me. They tell me it will be done the next day and I told them about a couple of problems I had with the car and they said they'll check it. I ask them for the total since they didnt give me one before and she tells me it will be close to 2 grand. I was about to faint just from hearing that. She told me they replaced the rear brakes and changed all the fluids. I couldnt beleive they were charging me 2grand for a stupid little tune up. Anyways 3 Days pass and they come and pick me up with my car and the driver had my AC on full blast and he messed with EVERYTHING in my SC. I was pretty pissed right there. On the way to the dealership I notice the AC is not cold and the car feels EXACTLY like before. It still felt a little sluggish. I was getting a little paranoid because I was about to pay them 2K for doing nothing. I go to the dealersip and talk to the lady I talked to on the phone and she gives me the bill and sure enough it was 2K for the tune up. She gave me a 10% discount tho because they told me it would be 600 before and it more than doubled a day later. I asked her if I could get a list of the things they did because they wouldnt give me alist of things they're going to do until after I pay. I dont know why they do that but than again this was my first tune up. I asked her why the AC wasnt cold and why all the things I asked her to check were unchecked. So she gives me the receipt after I pay and she goes to get a mechanic to check the stuff. I look over the things they did and its all basically checking everything. They checked my tape deck and paint for corrosion and stupid ***** like that. I mean I could check that myself. I'm not blind. Anyways the mechanic comes up and looks at my car and says if I want to get anything fixed I'd have to bring it in to get it check......HELLO!!! I JUST got my car back from getting it CHECKED! You should have noticed this when you were checking it an hour ago. So they quote me a price of 85 just to check one thing. I was so pissed. I could have went to a good mechanic and got all the fluids changed myself and saved over a grand.

Take it from me if you can change it yourself do it. You're not exactly putting the car in good hands. This guy got his ES back from a tune up when I was there and he did a walk around his car and notice they put some black paint on this car. They covered up a sratch and didnt even tell him about it. I've heard so many horror story from people that take their cars to the Lexus dealership. To tell you the truth they could careless about your car. They make more money off tune ups and oil changed than actually selling the cars on the lot. Seriously just change the fluids your self. They dont really do anything for the money you pay them. Sorry for the HUGE reply but I thought you should know before you go and over pay.
Old 10-04-02, 08:33 PM
dariusman19
Driver School Candidate

No No, thank you very much for the reply.

That did it for me I'm never going to Lexus! screw them!

Quick Reply: Lexus Tune-Up.................WAY TOO MUCH $$!