GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Oil Change Prices

Old 12-06-11, 10:23 AM
pqn628
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Oil Change Prices

I called the Lexus dealership and the Toyota Dealership to compare prices and its ridiculous in the prices differences. Both places use 5w-20

Lexus
Regular Oil - 60.44
Full Synthetic - 120...my rep told me they dont even carry full synthetic. They go to autozone to buy it and charge the customers about 15 dollars a bottle. He also said I could buy my own and bring it in. They would charge me 40 in labor...that would still be a about 80 dollar oil change

Toyota
Regular Oil - 23.99
Full Synthetic - 57

I would normally do it myself but I rather have the standard maintenance on the car fax so its easier to sell in the future.

Last edited by pqn628; 12-06-11 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-06-11, 10:30 AM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its always cheaper at Toyota. I used to do all my oil changes at the Toyota dealership i was working for.
Old 12-06-11, 10:46 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sort of surprised Toyota even gave you a quote. Especially if there is a Lexus dealership close by. I think I have read here somewhere on a thread where Toyota has refused to do anything to Lexus vehicles. Could have been a special case when someone wanted more than just an oil change. I think those rules are bent a little if you own a Lexus in a town with a Toyota dealer close by, but not a Lexus dealership to be found.

This thread should be interesting to follow as I too have wondered why I pass by at least two Toyota dealerships, that I know will perform service cheaper, to have routine work done to my Lexus built by Toyota.
Old 12-06-11, 11:10 AM
pqn628
Pole Position

Originally Posted by moose66
Sort of surprised Toyota even gave you a quote. Especially if there is a Lexus dealership close by. I think I have read here somewhere on a thread where Toyota has refused to do anything to Lexus vehicles. Could have been a special case when someone wanted more than just an oil change. I think those rules are bent a little if you own a Lexus in a town with a Toyota dealer close by, but not a Lexus dealership to be found.

This thread should be interesting to follow as I too have wondered why I pass by at least two Toyota dealerships, that I know will perform service cheaper, to have routine work done to my Lexus built by Toyota.
Within a 20 mile radius of my place, i have 4 lexus dealerships and 5 toyota dealerships.

the tech at toyota told me he doesnt understand why people get the service done at lexus when toyota can do it.
Old 12-06-11, 12:58 PM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pqn628
the tech at toyota told me he doesnt understand why people get the service done at lexus when toyota can do it.
Starbucks, muffins, snacks, bottled water, big flat screen TV in lounge, free WiFi? My local Toyota dealerships are pretty bare bones for customers that wait. Lexus lounges are setup like my home office as far as conveniences and comfort.

I had a $118 cup of coffee today and they threw in a free brake fluid flush.

I do the easy stuff - oil changes, cabin and air filters; dealer gets all other service.
Old 12-06-11, 01:35 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

I go to Lexus for my oil change, I think its around $60.

Sure i could do it myself but i dont want to deal with with it. Also.... i notice that my service advisor goes above and beyond expectations when i need other stuff done. Customer loyalty i suppose, which is great!!
Old 12-06-11, 02:40 PM
pqn628
Pole Position

Arrow

Originally Posted by twylie
Starbucks, muffins, snacks, bottled water, big flat screen TV in lounge, free WiFi? My local Toyota dealerships are pretty bare bones for customers that wait. Lexus lounges are setup like my home office as far as conveniences and comfort.

I had a $118 cup of coffee today and they threw in a free brake fluid flush.

I do the easy stuff - oil changes, cabin and air filters; dealer gets all other service.
I agree lexus has better amenities and I take my car there for major service but for standard maintence, the difference in cost doesn't justify. The Toyota dealership I went to today had snacks, coffee, tv, Internet and a shuttle service. I guess it al depends where you are located.

I use to do everything myself but living in condo downtown makes it harder to work on the car.
Old 12-06-11, 02:50 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

I know that the work will show up on CARFAX by the VIN number. But I wonder if the work will show up in the Lexus database? If you have a mylexus/lexus drivers account you know what I mean.
Old 12-06-11, 04:48 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oil Changes

I have a Lexus 2910 GS350 and a new Toyota 4Runner. I get all of my maintenance done at Toyota and they can do any maintenance that Lexus requires. The price is about 40 percent cheaper and the Toyota dealership is a brand new facility and they offer more free amenities than Lexus. The Lexus dealership has a sandwich, juice bar, etc, but they charge for the food. Only thing free is the coffee. Toyota offers, doughnuts, bagels, cookies, juice and Keurig Coffee makers so you can make your own fresh cup of one of many flavors. They have free use of laptops, which they provide with internet and wi-fi if you want to use your own laptop.
Old 12-06-11, 04:49 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oil Change

Make that a 2010 Lexus GS350.
Old 12-07-11, 01:30 AM
Drzava
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus Ireland prices for an intermediate service (effectively oil change plus a few checks) on a GS300:

<4 years old: $420.
>4 years old: $320.

Yes - you read that right! And that's presumably using semi synth. Changed the oil myself recently and saved hundreds, and that was using Castrol EDGE fully synth!
Old 12-07-11, 07:54 PM
pbateson
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My Lexus car usually oil change in Ford Dealership. Price was only $40 + labor
Old 12-08-11, 02:02 PM
Arantant
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

To those of you getting oil changed at places other than Lexus and Toyota... are you sure they are even changing the oil filter? My understanding was that it is only available via Toyota OEM... It's not a standard canister filter like most cars, but instead just the element and o-ring that gets changed...
Old 12-08-11, 02:51 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Arantant
To those of you getting oil changed at places other than Lexus and Toyota... are you sure they are even changing the oil filter? My understanding was that it is only available via Toyota OEM... It's not a standard canister filter like most cars, but instead just the element and o-ring that gets changed...
I was thinkng the same thing. Especially when I saw the post in which they were getting the oil changed at a Ford dealership. That could easily be oil only.
Old 12-09-11, 10:37 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

At the stealership right now. Just was quoted $66 for an oil change! Ouch!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Change Prices