ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2006 ES330 Aftermarket Dash Kit and Stereo

Old 02-22-12, 02:22 PM
ibesmond
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2006 ES330 Aftermarket Dash Kit and Stereo

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and I need some help. My stock stereo died-out on me and I need to find a solution to fix the problem.

Some facts:
* I have a 2006 ES330, stock stereo without Mark Levinson audio; without Navigation system.
* If I upgrade to a new stereo I don't want to loose the volume control and tuning in the steering wheel. If anyone knows what brand or model to go with?

I figure here are my options.

1) Get a stock stereo replacement. Problem is... I don't know who cares OEM stereos. I called one place. Top hit on google and its out-of-stock.

2) My second option is to buy an aftermarket dash kit and stereo. Problem is... I can't find a good match. I was looking at CarID http://www.carid.com/2006-lexus-es-w...ain-dash-kits/ and thought I found a match, but customer service said it might not work with an aftermarket stereo. I want to get a kit that I can fit a single din or double din stereo. I might want to get a stereo that has touch screen, but not a flip-out screen (which would be the double din) but I might just go cost effective and get a basic single din stereo and upgrade later to a DVD double din, so I'm looking for a kit that can do both if possible.

3) My third option would be to get a kit like the one from CarID but buy the kit with the Mark Levinson stereo and then try to fit an aftermarket stereo in the space, but I'm not sure if it would work. Customer service said the same thing.

If anyone knows vendors that carry kits please send me their way. Thank you.
Old 02-22-12, 05:56 PM
Gchutes
Rookie

Check Ebay
Old 02-22-12, 06:33 PM
DanES300
Driver School Candidate

I have a Pioneer 3300 bt in my lexus. I dont have the steering wheel controls but when they installed it, they asked if I had controls and they said it would work if I did have them. I think it requires an adapter
Old 02-23-12, 10:01 PM
Charlesc87
Driver School Candidate

Default Lucky you....

Hey so I just so happened to be doing this exact same thing. I can give you some pointers on the 2006 es330 that I'm installing a double din radio into.

I personally am going with the Pioneer PVH-4400bh, which is about 420$ on cheaplots, I found that using google shopping. Another quick note: I wanted my setup to look original, meaning the dash has to have lexus badging, perfect color match, and chrome accents like the original. Therefore I ordered from Sewell's Lexus the "PANEL SUB-ASSEMBLY, INSTRUMENT CLUSTER W (MARK LEVINSON SPEAKER)Shipped $129.09 1 $129.09" (though metra does make a cheap kit) and it just got here today actually. Looks beautiful. I ordered the "Metra Axxess ASWC Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface (Black)" from amazon for 50 bucks, this integrates the steering wheel controls with the new HU (headunit). Also ordered the "Metra 95-8202 Toyota DDIN Multi Dash Kit" from amazon for about 10 bucks, this fills in the gap between the regular mark levinson nav setup and the double din I am installing. Also got the harness, which will plug into the stock JBL amplifier, because I didnt want to bypass it, its the "Metra TYTO-01 JBL Amplifier Interface Harness" from amazon for 54 dollars shipped. The next thing I am ordering is the backup camera, for this I chose the "Boyo Vtl375 Waterproof Ccd License Plate Rear View Camera System W/175 Wide Viewing Angle and Swiveling Camera (Black, Zinc Metal Casing)" and it is 140.00 but the reviews suggest it is absolutely awesome, easy install, adjustable, and really blends in to deter theft. I have all these parts or at least they are going to be on the way shortly. I can't help you out with install yet, but those are all the parts you need! Good luck!
Old 04-04-12, 05:30 PM
ibesmond
Driver School Candidate

Hi Charlesc87, I took your advice and went with the Pioneer PVH-4400bh.

My 2006 Lexus is without navigation and without Mark Levinson, so do I need the Metra TYTO-01 JBL Amplifier Interface Harness. I'm not sure if I am going to have to rewire the whole car or if it will work. Also on Amazon I've seen a number of different harnesses, like Metra 70-8113 Radio Wiring Harness for Toyota Amp Integration 20 Pin or 15 Pin. Any knowledge is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-04-12, 10:34 PM
Patsum
Pole Position

PLEASE post pictures of the process as you do it and the final product!!

Thank you so much, it would be a goldmine for people her wanting to do it as well

-Patsum
Old 04-05-12, 01:19 PM
rlx101
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

hey congrats on the stereo install! Which island in Hawaii are you from? i will be visiting a couple of islands this summer.

Originally Posted by ibesmond
Hi Charlesc87, I took your advice and went with the Pioneer PVH-4400bh.

My 2006 Lexus is without navigation and without Mark Levinson, so do I need the Metra TYTO-01 JBL Amplifier Interface Harness. I'm not sure if I am going to have to rewire the whole car or if it will work. Also on Amazon I've seen a number of different harnesses, like Metra 70-8113 Radio Wiring Harness for Toyota Amp Integration 20 Pin or 15 Pin. Any knowledge is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-05-12, 07:41 PM
ibesmond
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the help. I'll post some pictures once its all complete. FYI, I'm located on the island of Oahu.
Old 04-05-12, 09:47 PM
rlx101
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

cool, ill most likely be in kauai/big island this time. was in oahu once, love the islands!

hey, i just started a thread about android tab integration instead of standard double din after market option. should be interesting install.

Originally Posted by ibesmond
Thanks for all the help. I'll post some pictures once its all complete. FYI, I'm located on the island of Oahu.
Old 04-26-12, 07:52 PM
yellohj
Driver School Candidate

Amazing how I am also doing this same thing too. I have been researching this today, and called Crutchfield to begin. I thought I would buy a Metra kit, but found out that there is a Lexus branded option instead of cheapo Metra. I called my Lexus dealer today and they said that they sell the dashboard trim kit for the Nav (not Mark Levinson) and that allows for the 2-DIN whole. Then you just use the existing mounting brackets, and pop the air vents and hazzard/clock out and pop them into the new trim. I also saw the adapters for stering controls and the JBL amp.

I was bummed to find that the speakers are not easy to swap out due to a 3/10 inch clearance from speaker to the grill, so only certain speakers can actually go in the door (51/4 inch or 61/2 inch). Sound Ordinance makes some, but the quality is about like factory, so it is not worth the trouble. The 8 inch Pioneer Sub is driven by the factory amp, and it is like 20watts power. In order to replace this you would need an additional mono or other amp to drive this seperately, so plan your unit with enough preouts if you decide to go this route now or in the future. Also that the tweeters mounting brackets are proprietary and you have to fashion your own bracket to replace them. I would love to hear anyone that has experienced this too.

I am still deciding on the unit, but it will be a 2-DIN and today I was pretty happy with the pioneer AVH-P4400BH DVD, and glad to see that Charlesc87 is already working on this. I will be very soon as well.

Cheers,
J
Old 04-26-12, 09:52 PM
Charlesc87
Driver School Candidate

I will be installing everything next saturday, not tomorrow, please consider the avh-p8400bh that came out early April. I will post tons of pictures of my install process and justifications. Good luck everyone, if you install before me please post tips!
Old 05-08-12, 06:23 PM
yellohj
Driver School Candidate

Well I decided on the Pioneer AVH-P8400BH, and orderd the dask kit and TYTO-01 to use the factory amp and speakers. I received the HU and Pioneer CDIU201S Advanced App Mode USB Interface Cable today. I am still waiting on the dash kit it should all be in by next week.

I found that the Axxess ASWC does not work for my car. I have the 6 disk in-dash. It is supposed to work for the standard. Check with axxessinterface.com to make sure it works before you mess with it.

I opted to not use it and save the money. I confirmed that the sub is a pioneer 8" 2-ohm, and I plan to change that out with a better 8" free air sub like the Kicker 10C82 in the next phase.

I expect to be installed in a couple of weeks..

J
Old 05-17-12, 08:59 PM
yellohj
Driver School Candidate

I just finished wiring the AVH-P8400BH with the tyto-01 and the ASWC/70-8814 adapter. I hope to remove the old and plug in the new later this week.

J
Attached Thumbnails 2006 ES330 Aftermarket Dash Kit and Stereo-photo.jpg  
Old 05-18-12, 03:30 PM
yellohj
Driver School Candidate

Install completed it all works as expected. Cheers!!
Attached Thumbnails 2006 ES330 Aftermarket Dash Kit and Stereo-photo2.jpg  
Old 05-19-12, 12:35 PM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

That looks great!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 ES330 Aftermarket Dash Kit and Stereo