RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Lexus RX Alternator or Battery

Old 03-04-12, 07:48 AM
kofifi
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Lexus RX Alternator or Battery

I recently purchased a Lexus RX have owned it for 6 days. The lexus has 69xxx miles on it currently. I know on my old vehicle it would notify me before the alternator started to go out. This morning on my way to church my rx wouldnt start so i jumped it figuring i left something on the vehicle on. When i got outta church the vehicle was dead again. I ran it down to O'reilys and had a teenager hook up a machine to the vehicle he told me that it was probably the alternator because it was pushing out 11amps and the typical vehicle pushes out 14 amps. I asked him if my battery was bad and he said that I should start with the alternator. Should i go get a second opinion? Secondly is there any thing i should look for on the dash that lets me know if the alternator is going out like my previous vehicle did.

How are yall doing and sorry for the rant
Old 03-04-12, 08:09 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Always start with the cheapest thing. If you don't know the history of the battery I would replace it immediately. A non-starting RX is a rare occurrence and almost always the bat. If this is your first Lexus you will have to get used to stuff not breaking. In the years I've hung out here I can't recall an alternator failing, OK I searched and here's one from '08 https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-problems.html

Secondly, never trust a kid at O'Rilleys.

Doing fine and welcome to the forum!
Old 03-04-12, 08:23 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!

I agree with Carver, start with the battery. Or, get the battery load tested at AutoZone.

What year RX do you have? It's a bit too early for an alternator, considering the miles.

Last edited by hypervish; 03-04-12 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-04-12, 08:24 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You profile indicates that your new vehicle is the 2008 RX350, congratulations. I agree with Carver. Have the battery checked under load. I also would be very surprised if the problem is with the alternator. When the battery is pulled on these vehicles, you will need to reset the windows and sunroof. Directions for that are all over this forum. Use the search function. Did you buy this vehicle from a Lexus dealership?
Old 03-04-12, 08:49 AM
kofifi
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is the vehicle i purchased

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-...item5d328739cb

Wife loves it. I have been on this forum all morning and am thankful for all the information you guys have put on here for us not so techy people. I am on the way to Autozone to get to the bottom of this issue. Thanks for your insight ladies and gentleman.
Old 03-04-12, 09:14 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by kofifi
This is the vehicle i purchased

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-...item5d328739cb

Wife loves it. I have been on this forum all morning and am thankful for all the information you guys have put on here for us not so techy people. I am on the way to Autozone to get to the bottom of this issue. Thanks for your insight ladies and gentleman.
After you get that new Duralast battery installed, I have a Duralast Gold 24F, you should be set for awhile.

You should also take the time to register at the Lexus Owner's website. The complete Lexus service history of your vehicle will be there as well as any warranty work or recalls. They also have the manuals available as well. You will need the VIN to complete the registration.

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home
Old 03-04-12, 09:20 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

You've had a failure to start event, don't even hesitate, get a new battery. Lexus are extremely sensitive to weak batteries, don't try to "save" a battery that has failed, it is such a false economy.
Old 03-04-12, 09:33 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

kofifi, welcome to CL and congrats on your RX. I agree with everyone else. The battery is probably the culprit. It is still technically covered under warranty. You might want to check with a Lexus dealer.

If you decide to go ahead and change the battery yourself, you'll need to reset the windows and sunroof. Here is one of the numerous threads on how to do it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-properly.html
Old 03-04-12, 03:34 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Charging voltage should be 14+ V. If only putting out 11V, something's not right, need to get the alternator checked. I must admit the kid has a point. Bring it to another BM auto store for a check up. Useless to replace the battery and then lose it because the charging is not happening.
Old 03-04-12, 07:36 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Charging voltage should be 14+ V. If only putting out 11V, something's not right, need to get the alternator checked. I must admit the kid has a point. Bring it to another BM auto store for a check up. Useless to replace the battery and then lose it because the charging is not happening.
OK, I give. "BM auto store"???? Beats Me???

AutoZone will check the charging system while testing for a bad battery.
Old 03-04-12, 08:02 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
OK, I give. "BM auto store"???? Beats Me???

AutoZone will check the charging system while testing for a bad battery.
I think he means "Brick and Mortar", not your probiotic or fiber intake.
Old 03-04-12, 08:03 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rainbird
I think he means "Brick and Mortar", not your probiotic or fiber intake.
OK, now makes sense.
Old 03-04-12, 10:57 PM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a old '99 RX300 at some time, my battery went dead just like yours, I jump started it, drove it to a store, came out after about an hour, dead again. Best part about it was that the alternator was replaced about a month before. I bought it the Advance Auto to test the whole charging system. They concluded that there was "excessive ripple" and that the alternator was bad. They were wrong, I went to Walmart brought a battery place it in the car, drive it back to advance auto, they tested it again, everything was perfect. It was just the battery. I had them recharge the old battery overnight, and the old battery was fine the next day, and I returned my day old battery to walmart. Hope this helps you out.
Old 03-05-12, 06:01 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Hence a comprehensive test is preferred.
Old 03-05-12, 06:33 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Isn't checking the charging system pretty much standard when you buy a new battery these days? Unless it's a parking lot adventure or side of the road type thing I think most places know to do that.

If I had just purchased a 4 year old car and had a dead battery experience I would not hesitate to replace the battery regardless of the health of the charging system. It may need a new alternator, it may not but I wouldn't ever try to get more use out of a battery in that situation. Why on earth would anyone put their family at risk over a 100 dollar part?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus RX Alternator or Battery