Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Pilot Sport A/S plus too loud, pulls right

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-12, 08:51 AM
conv350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pilot Sport A/S plus too loud, pulls right

My IS350 needed new tires. The Front tires originally were Turanza and wore out quickly.

I got Costco Michelin Pilot Sport A/S plus for the fronts. Immediately the car would pull right, hard, while driving (will switch lanes on its own on the freeway within 50 feet).

Two alignment jobs later and it was the same. I had costco swap the tires and the problem got much better, but it still pulls right.

Now it seems the ride isn't as quiet as it used to be - it's actually quite loud, where the stereo needs to be turned up much higher to overcome road noise.

Should I just switch back to the Turanza tires?
Old 04-30-12, 09:47 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No dont go back to Turanzas. They are junk compared to all other tires out there. I had the bad pull with my 2006 GS with the Pilot Sport A/S and refuse to put them on my car. I do recommend the Bridgestone RE970 tires. Very smooth, great handling, and well rounded tires.
Old 04-30-12, 05:31 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Since they switched the tires...the alignment wasn't done right and or you have a damaged suspension component that is contributing to this pulling. Any recent pothole, parking bumper, curb encounters? How many miles on car? A sticking brake caliper?
Old 04-30-12, 07:32 PM
John U
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by conv350
I had costco swap the tires and the problem got much better, but it still pulls right.
Cross the fronts and see what happens. If it now pulls left you have a bad belt.
Old 04-30-12, 07:39 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexus300
No dont go back to Turanzas. They are junk compared to all other tires out there. I had the bad pull with my 2006 GS with the Pilot Sport A/S and refuse to put them on my car. I do recommend the Bridgestone RE970 tires. Very smooth, great handling, and well rounded tires.
Don't go back to the OE Turanza... Turanza is a generic name for all Bridgestone Touring tires, just as Potenza is a generic name for all Performance tires by Bridgestone...

Turanza Serenity, however, is an amazing tire and is arguably one of the best touring tires on the market...

Now, your problem has been had by others on this very board - solution, new tires... The Pilot Sport A/S has had mixed reviews on some cars, and the biggest complaint is a pull that starts with the tire install that can't be remedied by alignment...
Old 04-30-12, 07:42 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by John U
Cross the fronts and see what happens. If it now pulls left you have a bad belt.
Not necessarily... in fact, there might not be anything wrong with the tire at all - certain tires have an affinity to pull one way or another - its in the design...
Old 04-30-12, 08:58 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 567 Likes on 389 Posts

I have the same issue with the same tire. Was barely noticeable at the beginning but got progressively worse. I took it to a kick *** alignment guy that has a great reputation and does it manually. Still pulled to the right. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for those Serenitys when I'm looking for the next set!

That being said, the A/S pluses were still loads better than the stock Turanzas
Old 05-01-12, 05:48 AM
zig@tr
Former Sponsor

Tramlining is common when switching from your OEM symmetrical tires to a higher performance directional tire. "Tramlining" describes your vehicle's tendency to follow the grooves, ruts or curvatures of the road. The previous Bridgestone tires you had on the car were symmetrical and have a straight 5 rib design which will track straighter but have far less steering response and hydroplaning capabilities.

The V shaped directional tread pattern of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S plus will follow little variations in the road and takes more effort to keep the vehicle traveling straight, but when it comes to performance driving the directional tread will respond quicker and have a better cornering feel. It's a matter of preference, once you have driven on these tires for a few years and should decide to go back to a symmetrical tire you'll probably feel they are a bit sluggish and not responsive. I have an IS250 AWD, I am currently using the Bridgestone RE970 A/S Pole Position and have been very pleased with their ride and comfort. They have minimal tramlining at times but it's just a matter of the roads you are driven on, but with any directional tire there will always be a moderate amount of tramlining. I've never driven the Michelins in a Lexus but have logged lots of time on the Michelins in the 3 series test cars here at the Tire Rack. On the highway and city driving they did provide a small amount of the tramiling, but no more than to be excepted. Where they really shine was on the track, this will be one of the best dry and wet performance tires you can get in an all-season rubber compound.

Tramlining Explained

Last edited by zig@tr; 05-01-12 at 06:04 AM.
Old 06-12-13, 09:39 PM
conv350
Driver School Candidate

Ok, it's over a year later, I need new rear tires. My car still pulls right mostly, though it does change with certain road conditions, but mainly pulls right.

Should I get the recommended Bridgestone Potenza RE970 tires, but put them in the front, and move the mostly new-looking Michelin Pilot Sport A/S plus tires to the rear? Is this a good idea?
Do you think this will solve the pulling to the right?

Old 06-14-13, 03:00 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Ok, it's over a year later, I need new rear tires. My car still pulls right mostly, though it does change with certain road conditions, but mainly pulls right.

Should I get the recommended Bridgestone Potenza RE970 tires, but put them in the front, and move the mostly new-looking Michelin Pilot Sport A/S plus tires to the rear? Is this a good idea?
Do you think this will solve the pulling to the right?

HI,

Dont mix tires on cars from different brands or types. It will cause vibration, poor handling, and damage to transmission. I would replace all 4 tires with the new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (generation 3) that is coming next month. Its smoother, comfortable, quieter, better handling, and traction in may reviews.

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...3/tire-details
Old 06-16-13, 11:54 AM
conv350
Driver School Candidate

HI,

Dont mix tires on cars from different brands or types. It will cause vibration, poor handling, and damage to transmission. I would replace all 4 tires with the new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (generation 3) that is coming next month. Its smoother, comfortable, quieter, better handling, and traction in may reviews.

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...3/tire-details
Someone at America's tire co. mentioned the new michelin tires coming out, he said it was going to be exclusive to them. Like you said, supposed to be quieter among other things. My front tires are still like new, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S plus. Wouldn't want to switch those unless there is some way to sell barely used high performance tires.
Old 06-16-13, 02:00 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Someone at America's tire co. mentioned the new michelin tires coming out, he said it was going to be exclusive to them. Like you said, supposed to be quieter among other things. My front tires are still like new, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S plus. Wouldn't want to switch those unless there is some way to sell barely used high performance tires.
I would not risk damaging my car with 2 different sets of tires. It would never handle, ride, or feel well no matter what. You can put the 2 tires on the classified list on clublexus and you will be able to get good money for it in 1-2 weeks. I have sold over 16 tires with no problem from many cars over the past 3-4 years with no issues. All of them where barely used and I got at least 80% of their original value.
Old 06-16-13, 06:28 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

I would not risk damaging my car with 2 different sets of tires. It would never handle, ride, or feel well no matter what. You can put the 2 tires on the classified list on clublexus and you will be able to get good money for it in 1-2 weeks. I have sold over 16 tires with no problem from many cars over the past 3-4 years with no issues. All of them where barely used and I got at least 80% of their original value.
Huh?

So long as it isn't an AWD car, there is nothing to worry about. Keep the type of tire similar (all-season, summer performance, etc) and there shouldn't be enough difference so long as you aren't replacing them with junk. If it was my car and I had Pilot Sport A/S, I would have no reservations in changing the rears to a pair of RE970A/S's... I have ridden, driven and owned vehicles with different tires front and rear, with no ill effects, again, so long as it isn't an AWD vehicle...

There definitely won't be any damage to the car...

That's kinda like saying people are absolutely crazy for installing wider tires on the rear of a car that didn't come with staggered tires from the factory. Stay within reason and you get many benefits and almost no downsides...