GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Headlights.....

Old 10-11-12, 06:20 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Headlights.....

Something I have noticed a few times and kind of bothers me on such a high end vehicle. When it's raining I will turn on the headlights as per NJ state law, since I'm so used to the auto headlights for many years now on many different vehicles I never think about shutting them off when I park the vehicle. If I leave the headlights on there is no warning chime to tell me something is left on that shouldn't be so I have just left them on a few times already. So far no dead battery but if I leave the moon roof open it chimes at me and gives me a warning on the dash but leaving the headlights on does not give me any kind of warning? My Tahoe that I traded in on the GS did, my C6 Corvette does, why not the Lexus? Just find it odd I guess.
Old 10-11-12, 06:41 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you sure the headlights stayed on?

We have the same state law and the same concern ... if you need wipers, you need headlights. Further, you need taillights to be seen, especially in the rain, which DRLs do not provide. We 'think' we have forgotten to turn off the lights on several occasions, but we have never returned to the vehicle to find the headlights still on.

I'm wondering if there is a "fail-safe" timer so if the engine is off the headlights will turn off after a certain amount of time? That would obviate the need for a warning chime ....
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 10-11-12, 07:23 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Originally Posted by SaniDel
Are you sure the headlights stayed on?

We have the same state law and the same concern ... if you need wipers, you need headlights. Further, you need taillights to be seen, especially in the rain, which DRLs do not provide. We 'think' we have forgotten to turn off the lights on several occasions, but we have never returned to the vehicle to find the headlights still on.

I'm wondering if there is a "fail-safe" timer so if the engine is off the headlights will turn off after a certain amount of time? That would obviate the need for a warning chime ....
Regards,

SaniDel
I'm 99% sure they turn off when you shut the vehicle off, I always notice it when I start it back up and see the headlights come on. I just find it odd that there is no reminder chime that you left them on when you exit the vehicle.
Old 10-11-12, 09:46 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

All GX460 have auto off headlights. There is a setting where you can adjust the delay off time down to 0 time. As soon as you open the driver’s door the lights will go off. The default delay setting is like 2 or 3 min, I guess enough time to get away from the vehicle and enter your home. Also the DRL will satisfy the head light on requirement when the wipers are on. The law was set up for older cars without DRL, at least in NJ.

Koz
Old 10-11-12, 01:16 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Koz
All GX460 have auto off headlights. There is a setting where you can adjust the delay off time down to 0 time. As soon as you open the driver’s door the lights will go off. The default delay setting is like 2 or 3 min, I guess enough time to get away from the vehicle and enter your home. Also the DRL will satisfy the head light on requirement when the wipers are on. The law was set up for older cars without DRL, at least in NJ.

Koz
I have to disagree with you about NJ law, my father is now retired but we had this conversation and he as a LEO told me that DRL's do not count as headlights for the NJ Law wiper / headlights on.

"N.J.S.A. 39:3-46".

Here's the text:

"When lighted lamps are required" means at any time from a half-hour after sunset to a half-hour before sunrise; whenever rain, mist, snow or other precipitation or atmospheric moisture requires the use of windshield wipers by motorists; and during any time when, due to smoke, fog, unfavorable atmospheric conditions or for any other cause there is not sufficient light to render clearly discernible persons and vehicles on the highway at a distance of 500 feet ahead.

See how it says "lighted lamps" and not "head lamps". That means it's "wipers on, lights on". A quick web search also shows complainers about getting ticketed on the Parkway even though they had the running lights on. It's not enough, it's got to be all lights, the exact same as if it's too dark. That's exactly the way the law was written - wipers are equivalent to darkness when it comes to needs for lights.
Old 10-11-12, 02:32 PM
Koz

You may be right. I would think DRL would qualify as lighted lamps where head lamps would not. Running lights are not DRL. I was told by a local LEO that as long as fog/running (lights low to the ground) are not used any other lights are OK. He also said he see's vehicles all the time without any lights on in the rain and he has never stops them or tickets them unless he stopped them for a moving violation. He said not many people even know of the law. I guess it all depends on why and who stops you.

Koz

Last edited by Koz; 10-11-12 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-11-12, 05:44 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
I have to disagree with you about NJ law, my father is now retired but we had this conversation and he as a LEO told me that DRL's do not count as headlights for the NJ Law wiper / headlights on.

"N.J.S.A. 39:3-46".

Here's the text:

"When lighted lamps are required" means at any time from a half-hour after sunset to a half-hour before sunrise; whenever rain, mist, snow or other precipitation or atmospheric moisture requires the use of windshield wipers by motorists; and during any time when, due to smoke, fog, unfavorable atmospheric conditions or for any other cause there is not sufficient light to render clearly discernible persons and vehicles on the highway at a distance of 500 feet ahead.

See how it says "lighted lamps" and not "head lamps". That means it's "wipers on, lights on". A quick web search also shows complainers about getting ticketed on the Parkway even though they had the running lights on. It's not enough, it's got to be all lights, the exact same as if it's too dark. That's exactly the way the law was written - wipers are equivalent to darkness when it comes to needs for lights.
It seems this is all the more reason to leave our lights on AUTO!

Our forum's only complaint is that the sensor is too sensitive ... the lights go on at the slightest dimming, e.g., underpasses, bridges and garage parking. However, we can't complain about violating the law ... the AUTO mode will turn on all our lights long before we need wipers ... and definitely before it gets dark.

Bonus point ... the AUTO mode prevents our lights from being left on any longer than the timeout preference ... no risk of a dead battery. I'm convinced ... the headlight switch stays in AUTO, which begs the question ... is there any use for the DRL OFF or either of the manual selections?
Regards,

SaniDel
Attached Thumbnails Headlights.....-sec_02-03-copy.jpg  

Last edited by SaniDel; 10-11-12 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-11-12, 08:59 PM
gxgonz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no Ding like a old Tahoe because they will not stay on and waste battery life. They will also go off if you hit the lock button twice on your remote.
Old 10-12-12, 07:04 AM
Koz

Speaking of a dead battery. I was sitting in the GX for a couple hours (while the little women was shopping) with the motor off and was watching movies and suddenly everything turned off and a message was displayed that some type of battery safety system had turned everything off because the battery was low on power. This system/feature made sure there was enough power left to start the engine. I was impressed!

Koz
Old 10-12-12, 07:24 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by Koz
I was impressed!

Koz
So am I ... that's good to know.

One obvious detail no one has mentioned ... where's the OFF position? Right, there isn't one ... there is no need to turn off the lights as the AUTO mode takes care of that for us.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 10-12-12, 10:51 AM
khiroshima
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Koz
There is a setting where you can adjust the delay off time down to 0 time.
Koz
Thanks, I finally got around to making my time-out zero. I see no need for my headlights to stay on after I et out of my car. My M5 had "follow-me" lights, but it was on demand system . . . I never once found a reason to use them. Thanks again, I choose "zero". KH