RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Function & Construction of F-Sport Damper/Support Bar?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-13, 05:53 AM
jrfiero
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Function & Construction of F-Sport Damper/Support Bar?

I know a couple of you have added the F-Sport dampers to either the front or rear or both on a non-F-Sport RX, and that it appears to reduce body roll.

What is the damper - is it just a rod, or does it have actual damping capabilities? How does it work - it appears to simply stiffen the body structure, or subframe, similar to what a strut brace would do on the front.

I ask because I'm about to install the Curt hitch, which will stiffen the rear subframe. I wonder if adding an F Sport damper (Curt called it a support bar in their instructions) would be redundant.

Has anyone who added a hitch noticed any handling difference?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Jonas
Old 09-20-13, 08:01 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Personally, I'm a little skeptical when it comes to the rear damper, especially if a hitch has been installed.
Old 09-23-13, 06:35 AM
jrfiero
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Answering my own question

From LexusEnthusiast.com
F SPORT models further benefit from the lateral performance damper system, which is designed to absorb and minimize undesirable body vibrations, offer a more linear steering feel and contribute to improved ride comfort.
In lieu of conventional fixed bracing, the system features a front performance damper connecting the left and right front suspension towers, and a rear damper connecting the left and right sides of the rear lower back panel.
With a construction similar to that of a typical monotube suspension damper, the front and rear performance damper assemblies differ according to the variations in body rigidity, noise and vibration of their surroundings, optimizing their ability to absorb body torsion, flexure and fine vibrations.
Their installation has reduced vehicle floor vibrations across a wide frequency range, reduced body deformation through a drop in left and right front suspension tower displacement, and even lowered audio system white noise levels.
Though difficult to analyse even using Computer Aided Design, micron- sized, minuscule vibrations manifest themselves as a slight discomfort when turning the wheel and minute deviations in vehicle behaviour during straight line acceleration. Their elimination brings a new dimension of steering response, agility and ride comfort to the premium SUV segment.

From CarandDriver.com
It consists of two braces that bridge the front and rear chassis rails; each includes an integral gas-charged shock absorber. Unlike a chassis enhancement such as a shock tower brace, which lends rigidity, the lateral dampers' function is to compensate for small body-shell deformations and vibrations. Lexus makes no claims for increased stiffness. Rather, by damping structural quivers, the system is designed to reduce vibration and enhance ride quality.