IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Rep wald spoiler prep up

Old 12-14-13, 12:50 AM
g2bme
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rep wald spoiler prep up

Anyone with a wald rep spoiler sand it down before taking it to paint? I purchased one and wanted to smooth it out as much as possible before getting ready to primer it and paint.

Just seeing so that it comes out with the black obsidian paint super smooth!

Anyone with any aftermarket polyurethane spoiler do this before paint?
Old 12-14-13, 04:01 AM
DaleDoback
Driver School Candidate

Lots of people are talking about Wald spoilers and replicas, there should be a sticky at this point . From what I have read if you want it to look super clean you will want to get it molded. If you are asking this, i'm assuming you will have a shop prep and paint it, so why bother. They are going to prep it anyway at the body shop. Here is a thread with lots of info
Old 12-14-13, 10:48 AM
g2bme
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DaleDoback
Lots of people are talking about Wald spoilers and replicas, there should be a sticky at this point . From what I have read if you want it to look super clean you will want to get it molded. If you are asking this, i'm assuming you will have a shop prep and paint it, so why bother. They are going to prep it anyway at the body shop. Here is a thread with lots of info
Got a quote to mold for about 600ish, I'm contemplating but I want to know I did the sanding and smoothing. This is just in case I don't want to mold. I see the mold thread, looks super clean, lots of work since there are some that even have the fender corner raised to look like it sits flush. But those that just have added no mold, did anyone just turn it into the body shop and just let them handle?
Old 12-14-13, 10:51 AM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Yeah. That's what I did. It's okay. It's smooth. They'll do it for you. Or you can sand it and maybe pay less?
Old 12-14-13, 02:23 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can do the work if you want but they'll matcch it up perfectly if you have them mold it. They're the pro's. I did have mine molded with the sides raised but that was a lot of money so do what you'll be happy with.

Last edited by Sffd103; 12-19-13 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-14-13, 07:31 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Any good bodyshop will sand it down for you and make sure it is nice and smooth before they paint it.
Old 12-14-13, 08:12 PM
g2bme
Pole Position

Well how about installation? I was hoping to just get it painted but do the install on my own. I've read different threads with mixed answers about using adhesive and tape. Likewise, on the actual spoiler, did people just line the outer edges or tape inside as well? Pictures?
Old 12-14-13, 08:59 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought mine painted and the top part was wavy. Even some authentic Wald spoilers I've seen in person looked wavy but just not as bad. Mine is Obsidian too so it's noticeable. The only difference is that mine is fiberglass. Make sure it is absolutely smooth before it gets painted. Mine feels smooth after painting but it's wavy.
Old 12-14-13, 09:01 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i think glue is better, especially it gets pretty hot in CA
Old 12-16-13, 08:12 PM
g2bme
Pole Position

Well I finished sanding it down with 240 and 320 sandpaper. I noticed rough spots so wanted to do it myself to make sure that when I give it to the body shop I know that the spots I did are covered. My biggest concern is the infamous "wavy" portion that replicas tend to get. Likewise I noticed little "pore" like areas. I did my best to sand it down to smooth it out but noticed a really bad part on the under side where the double stick tape is suppose to go. Hopefully this goes well, going to turn it in on Wednesday and install on my own maybe Friday or Saturday morning. I need a heat gun and 3m adhesive to get that sucker on super right
Old 12-16-13, 09:43 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Any photos?
Old 12-16-13, 11:12 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Sffd103
You can so the work if you want but they'll matcch it up perfectly if you have them mold it. They're the pro's. I did have mine molded with the sides raised but that was a lot of money so do what you'll be happy with.
Much agreed with Mariano! It gives the rear a nice seamless look. It's not for everyone, given the cost, but if you're planning to keep your car, I would suggest this as well.

The WALD rear will definitely be a nice addition to your black ride. Looking forward to the pics, my friend!
Old 12-16-13, 11:31 PM
ms2619
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

everyone is speaking of the fiberglass version of the wald rep but what about the new polyurethane material wald rep? Anyone have any experience with that?
Old 12-17-13, 12:24 AM
g2bme
Pole Position

I have the polyurethane version, just picked it up. Waiting for install. My question for it is....whether Fiberglas or PU, did anyone consider drilling screws from where the Lexus emblem's little pegs go? I figure I can shave the emblem pegs off and then put two screws where the pegs would go to have it screwed on to the trunk...then put the emblem over it to cover the screed...THOUGHTS?
Old 12-17-13, 01:06 AM
senxation
Driver

Where do you guys pick these up?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rep wald spoiler prep up