Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Low mpg

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-13, 12:45 AM
Uzairlexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Low mpg

hey guys, first of all thanks for taking the time to read this thread.
I have owned a '10 prius and drove it for 183,000 miles until it was salvaged, I received a exceptional 48-52 mpg that was mostly freeway, this was a great car and didnt see any millage depreciation.
I now own a '13 plugin prius, which also give 87 mpg which is mostly city now. The point im trying to make is that I have experience in driving a hybrid vehicle and know how to maximize mileage.
My 2007 Rx400H is not what i was expecting. It is a great car when it comes to comfort and driving experience but the problem is I only get 21mpg that is on a 900 mile trip meter which was 90% city driving. The car has 80,000 miles on it. I have already got new pad and disks. I have already replaced the tires. The car does not have any suspension mod done to it. I have already purchased new ctv trans fluid (transmission) and plan to do in this week , could that help the mpg?
Any other tips to increase the mpg, any thing to check/ verify?
Is my Current mpg normal?
i seem to get more efficient mpg on the freeway.
can the hybrid battery be already out of commission?
any logs i should collect from tech stream to aid in this?
Thanks i tried to provide as much detail as possible
Old 12-23-13, 06:24 AM
Weighit
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well your not all that far off my own mileage readings. As we drive a majority in town I can get 23-24 and if we are driving a steady speed of 65 we can get 28 ish. But here in Az the speed limit is 75 and the fear of getting run over if you drive 65 is very real, so we too run 75. That drags the fuel economy down to 23 or so. I've tried raising the tire pressures, had alignments and have always run the high octane fuels, no difference. It is what it is. I got a loaner RX450 a few weeks ago when I had my 400H in for the recall. It was getting the same or better economy than I could get out of my hybrid, go figure.
Old 12-23-13, 12:14 PM
Uzairlexus
Driver School Candidate

i also always run 91 octane and 93 when available. if im getting 21 mpg what would the non-hybrid get?
Old 12-23-13, 05:51 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Have you performed an ISC reset?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...all-years.html
Old 12-23-13, 08:14 PM
maseace
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Low 20's mpg is to be expected for the 400h during the winter months. It's a 4500-lb vehicle, 2000 lbs heavier than the Prius and has a much bigger gas engine.

What transmission fluid did you buy? This vehicle requires very specific fluid. I doubt that will help the mpg. You can try grille-blocking to help keep the engine from losing heat as fast, use the heat and A/C sparingly, and make sure you have low rolling resistance tires. The tires make more of a difference in mpg than anything else.

I always get better highway mpg in my 400h compared to stop/go.

Don't worry about the hybrid battery - if it were going bad, you would get all kinds of check engine light codes and warnings and it probably wouldn't run at all. There are hundreds of sensors and monitors going on in the hybrid system to make sure everything is working within spec.

Last edited by maseace; 12-23-13 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-23-13, 11:03 PM
Uzairlexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by maseace
It's a 4500-lb vehicle, 2000 lbs heavier than the Prius and has a much bigger gas engine.
I'm not and wasn't expecting anywhere close to the Prius because of obvious reasons

What transmission fluid did you buy? This vehicle requires very specific fluid.
i called MAGNUSSEN'S LEXUS OF FREMONT and gave them my vin and got factory fluid, i always try to get factory or higher. When i buy a car i make sure i can maintain it with the best parts.

Low 20's mpg is to be expected for the 400h during the winter months.
I'm not referring to just the winter months, i was referring to all in all i know hybrid batterys are have less proformace in the cold, i get the same in the summer and spring

Don't worry about the hybrid battery - if it were going bad, you would get all kinds of check engine light codes and warnings and it probably wouldn't run at all. There are hundreds of sensors and monitors going on in the hybrid system to make sure everything is working within spec.
Thanks so much for the reply, I truly appreciate it.

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Have you performed an ISC reset?
Yes i did that a week after getting the car and i didn't notice any difference
Old 12-25-13, 12:48 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Lexus only makes 1, count them, ONE, hybrid that focuses on milage....The CT hybrid. All of Lexus’ other hybrids use the hybrid system to achieve more power. In other words...The RX is designed to have the power of a V8 while getting the mileage of a V6.
Old 12-25-13, 05:18 PM
Uzairlexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jakenbake
Lexus only makes 1, count them, ONE, hybrid that focuses on milage....The CT hybrid. All of Lexus’ other hybrids use the hybrid system to achieve more power. In other words...The RX is designed to have the power of a V8 while getting the mileage of a V6.
so my rx is designed to be fast?
I have noticed it to be powerful but that was only in comparison to my prius
I never look up the power specs of this car are they really worth the $6-7 thousand dollar premium
I bought this car for mileage, clearly this what i was looking for.
I just wanted a luxury vehicle with nice millage
I still really like the car no matter
Old 12-26-13, 01:04 PM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Uzairlexus
if im getting 21 mpg what would the non-hybrid get?
EPA ratings are available online. These are for the 2008's but I'm guessing the 2007's are the same:
RX350 18/23
RX400h 26/24

When we take our 400h in for service and get a 350 loaner we can definitely tell the difference. We easily get ~25 with our driving conditions and style in our 400h. The 350's get ~19 with our conditions and driving style.

so my rx is designed to be fast?
Yup. It's not designed with mileage as a top priority like the Prius. Consider the name of the 400h. The number in Lexus model names generally indicates displacement but the 400h only has a 3.3L engine (like the engine found in the 330). Paired with the electric motor they figure it's equivalent in performance to a 4L V8.

Try flooring it sometime (particularly with the hybrid battery fully charged). It's no sports car but for a vehicle of its weight and size it's quick. Granted, you'll see the MPG's drop quickly but you don't get something for nothing.

I never look up the power specs of this car are they really worth the $6-7 thousand dollar premium
I bought this car for mileage, clearly this what i was looking for.
Worth is always highly subjective regardless of topic. Doesn't sound like it's worth it to you. Our 400h was worth it to us but we didn't buy it new off the lot and didn't have to deal with the sticker premium or initial depreciation.

Sounds like you should due more due diligence before your next purchase.

Last edited by takeshi74; 12-26-13 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-26-13, 04:40 PM
Uzairlexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by takeshi74
Doesn't sound like it's worth it to you. Our 400h was worth it to us but we didn't buy it new off the lot and didn't have to deal with the sticker premium or initial depreciation.

Sounds like you should due more due diligence before your next purchase.
neither did I
I got a great deal 57,000 miles for only $20,800 i got it from a friend who was leaving the country I've known him since he got the car so it was in great condition. I think, I should be the one who decides if its worth it right , I floored it (on private property) it was very exhilarating.
Old 12-31-13, 06:09 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Hey after owning a RX300 for 12 years the 400h is everything better. Mileage is 30% better and power and steering is better. Love this car. Like everyone said over 4000lbs and it is a rocket ship with great mileage for what it is.
Old 01-02-14, 11:55 AM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

It is the CA gas. Our 400h hated it. We lived in CA for the past 18 months and never broke 21 mpg in any part of the state. We easily get 26-27 in the rest of the country. Our 2010 Prius was not affected in the same way as the RX.
Old 01-02-14, 11:53 PM
Uzairlexus
Driver School Candidate

like i said I have been using 91 octane for at least the last 40 fillups
Old 01-04-14, 04:15 PM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

like i said I have been using 91 octane for at least the last 40 fillups
Octane has no affect on my mileage. I use 87 and get the same MPG as when I use 92. The CA gas is a special emissions blend only sold in CA. The car has less power when I use it. It also lowers the MPG.
Old 01-04-14, 06:14 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Yep, whenever I go out of state the mileage improves....Idaho & Utah gas are so much better.....

Quick Reply: Low mpg