RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Letter from Lexus headlight condensation....

Old 06-30-14, 04:32 PM
aussiedigg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jim618
Hi,

Does anyone know if this recall applies in Canada as well?

Jim
Halifax NS
Same goes for a 2008 Lexus 400H in Australia Please

aussie
Old 06-30-14, 10:30 PM
satz
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aussiedig....sadly I believe it doesn't apply in Australia...well not in the same way.

My dealer told me that it's done on a case-by-case basis and the dealer has to take photos of the actual leak and send that to Toyota Australia who then decide.

And that's during warranty period!

On mine it was leaking, ironically after being washed at the dealer, so they took a photo at the dealer and told me they'd contact me when the repalcement was in.

2 Months down the track I phoned them and they said Toyota rejected the photo for not being 'clear' so I'd have to bring it around next time it leaked.

It hasn't since then...and warranty finishes this month
Old 07-01-14, 12:00 AM
aussiedigg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by satz
Aussiedig....sadly I believe it doesn't apply in Australia...well not in the same way.

My dealer told me that it's done on a case-by-case basis and the dealer has to take photos of the actual leak and send that to Toyota Australia who then decide.

And that's during warranty period!

On mine it was leaking, ironically after being washed at the dealer, so they took a photo at the dealer and told me they'd contact me when the repalcement was in.

2 Months down the track I phoned them and they said Toyota rejected the photo for not being 'clear' so I'd have to bring it around next time it leaked.

It hasn't since then...and warranty finishes this month
Thanks for that I ended up sealing the top joint on our previous Lexus 2006 Rx Sports Head lights wont be to hard to use the same preventative measure on our newly acquired 2008 400 h.

As sealing is what our business does and there is no sign so far that any leak has occurred.

www.suresealshowers.com.au

aussie
Old 07-07-14, 11:28 PM
satz
Driver

You mean it took 78 posts on this thread just to have a free plug for your company!!!

Seriously though, was it difficult to seal the top joint on the headlight? I might do it to mine as a preventative measure..

cheers
Old 07-08-14, 11:52 AM
aussiedigg
Driver School Candidate

You mean it took 78 posts on this thread just to have a free plug for your company!!!

Seriously though, was it difficult to seal the top joint on the headlight? I might do it to mine as a preventative measure..

cheers

satz

What the?

Mate I would rather a company like Lexus stand behind their product personally and not need to seal anything.

But if my as your put it *Plug* bothers you I have a solution for you.....*Don't read It*!

ad....
Old 07-08-14, 04:44 PM
satz
Driver

geez...that was a joke. Hence the smiley face!!!

No offence intended at all.
Old 07-08-14, 08:35 PM
aussiedigg
Driver School Candidate

geez...that was a joke. Hence the smiley face!!!

No offence intended at all.

All good been one of those weeks

ad...
Old 07-19-14, 08:40 AM
dandg
Driver

I am pretty sure I got the letter but can't find it right now,I am seeing some moisture and they are fooged a good bit.
I called Lexus,apparently -according to the person I spoke with (which can be hit or miss with correct info) ,no second letter is going out,and unless you have puddles of water pooling in the bottom of the headlamp and the dealer agrees after seeing it your SOL.
Old 07-24-14, 08:10 AM
ghuns
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I got the letter a while back and have finally been annoyed enough to do something, well, to make my wife do something about it.

What? It's her car. And besides, her southern belle routine turns service guys into Jello.

She called and they asked if it was one or both. The drivers side never really dries out since I wash it weekly. The passengers side clears up a couple days after a wash. They told her they would order both. Just make sure both are showing moisture when she brings it in.

She takes it in next Wednesday so we'll see if it all goes smooth. I told her that in case they give her any grief about the passenger side not being that bad, just make sure to burst into tears and be wearing a low-cut blouse.

I am immuned to her southern accent, but the other stuff always works on me when she decides to get her way.
Old 07-24-14, 01:27 PM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ghuns
She takes it in next Wednesday so we'll see if it all goes smooth. I told her that in case they give her any grief about the passenger side not being that bad, just make sure to burst into tears and be wearing a low-cut blouse.

I am immuned to her southern accent, but the other stuff always works on me when she decides to get her way.
Why not wash the car twice the day before it goes in? You are not committing fraud . You are just helping simplify the situation. The dealer won't care. They just need to follow the rules Lexus makes for them.

When you drop the car off hand them a typed note that requests both headlights be replaced under the campaign number noted in the letter. If you request something and they don't do it, it can affect the follow up survey where their bonus is based on them getting all 5s. Those surveys always start with something like "did the dealer do everything you asked them to".

Ironically my wife's southern bell voice is pretty ineffective at car dealerships. My grump old man self with mechanical knowledge works better in the bizarre world of the dealership.
Old 07-30-14, 06:05 PM
ghuns
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by smassey321
Why not wash the car twice the day before it goes in? You are not committing fraud . You are just helping simplify the situation. The dealer won't care. They just need to follow the rules Lexus makes for them.
Washed it last night and hosed down the passenger side light this morning just to make sure. No problems. Replaced them both without batting an eye.

I was a little ticked when I got the report from their courtesy inspection. One of the running light bulbs was burnt out. They replace both headlight housings and put a burnt out light bulb back in that can't cost more than a few bucks?

It's still the best service I have ever received from a car dealer. Washed it, vacuumed it, cleaned leather, tires dressed and 2013 RX loaner for the wife to drive all day.

Especially considering I bought the car from a private owner and have maybe spent $200 there since I have had the RX.
Old 08-13-14, 10:21 AM
01blkgts
Driver School Candidate

I got this letter too, about the headlights being covered until Oct 2015.
I have silicone where the case meets the lens, do you think the dealer would deny me the claim because of that?
Old 08-14-14, 06:16 AM
DPJ
Driver School Candidate

I was told you must have water in the lights.
Old 08-24-14, 11:50 AM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I didn't receive any letters about the headlights. My passenger headlight is condensing and now the lightbulb comes on for a couple seconds and then goes out. Can I get them them to replace the housing and bulb?
Old 08-27-14, 07:10 AM
gundy
Rookie

Originally Posted by theory816
So I didn't receive any letters about the headlights. My passenger headlight is condensing and now the lightbulb comes on for a couple seconds and then goes out. Can I get them them to replace the housing and bulb?
I would take pictures of the problem housing with the moisture in it. Then print out the extended warranty letters that are linked in this thread and call or take your vehicle to your Lexus/Toyota dealer to have them confirm that a replacement is justified under the extended warranty. I have seen moisture in my passenger side headlight housing after rain but it goes away after a day or two of dry weather (which Lexus says is "supposed" to happen) so my situation does not qualify (unless a bulb goes out I'm guessing). Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Letter from Lexus headlight condensation....