Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Keyless remote programming

Old 04-18-04, 05:59 PM
jodimarc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will this work on a key fob from a 99 4runner to a 01 sequioa?
Old 04-26-04, 12:40 AM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a 2000 gs400 will this work for it also?
Old 08-16-04, 07:20 AM
grizzly660
Driver School Candidate

Hello all, I just picked up a 1996 LS400 and it only had one key fob, I had the dealer I purchased from throw in another keyfob into the deal. When I went into to get the new keyfob, the service department was closed, so the salesman gave me the keyfob and said come back when service is open.

Anyway, I decided on a whim to try these instructions even tho its listed for a ES300, and it worked on my 1996 LS400 also. I thought I would post in case other LS400 folks are looking for these sort of instructions.

Great forum!!!

You can program it yourself. Here are the instructions:

1. Driver's door open and unlocked, all other doors closed and locked.
2. Insert YOUR key in ignition, DO NOT TURN, remove key.
3. Using the lock/unlock button ON THE DRIVERS DOOR, slowly press lock and unlock 5 times (count the lock 5 times and unlock 5 times).
4. Shut door.
5. Open door.
6. Using the lock/unlock button ON THE DRIVERS DOOR, slowly press lock and unlock 5 times (count the lock 5 times and unlock 5 times).
7. With the door open insert your key into the ignition, turn to on position (DON'T START), wait 5 seconds. Turn off and remove key.
8. Locks should cycle once (Car will lock and then unlock once). If they don't cycle or they cycle more than once, do steps 1-7 over.
9. Now using the remote, push lock button, hold for one second, release. The locks should cycle once. If not, start over and go slower.
10. Close the door. Open the door. Press the lock button on the remote. The locks should cycle. Close the door. Press the lock button on the remote, the doors should lock. Press again and the doors should unlock.

Congratulations - You are done!
Old 08-16-04, 10:09 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

These great DIY keyless programming instructions seem to work on other Lexus models (i.e. GS, LS, ES, etc.) Moving this to Car Chat.
Old 08-16-04, 11:17 AM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

Where is the ecu located in the trunk. All i have to do is put the key in it. Thanks
Old 08-23-04, 08:53 PM
norbertk
Driver School Candidate

I have a 1993 ES300..

The dealer wants 150 for a new side-button remote entry key.... There doesn't seem to be one on e-bay that, except one that was already cut.. Is there any other manufacturer remote that will work with my poor 1993 lexus es300..
Old 10-31-05, 03:32 PM
shaggymci
Driver School Candidate

Default 1994 gs 300 keyless remote

will the programming instructions listed here for the es 300 work for my 94 gs300? i was thinking of buying the key off of ebay but wanted to make sure i could program it myself first. thanks
Old 11-04-05, 02:15 AM
dysfuncti0
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by norbertk
I have a 1993 ES300..

The dealer wants 150 for a new side-button remote entry key.... There doesn't seem to be one on e-bay that, except one that was already cut.. Is there any other manufacturer remote that will work with my poor 1993 lexus es300..
Is is a one button remote???? Whats the Fcc Id?
Old 11-25-05, 09:04 PM
93Miata
Driver School Candidate

I was looking for replacement keyless entry remotes not too long ago and I found a site that had them really cheap for my 96 SC and 99 ES.

I had them delivered in less than a week and the programming instructions only took maybe 10 seconds?

Anyways, here's a link to the site:

Https://www.ThePartsYouNeed.com

Just click the Lexus category, or type your model in their search box.
Old 01-22-06, 06:28 PM
johhnyb
Driver School Candidate

Default 92-94 ES Remote Key Programming (UNSOLVED MYSTERY)

I have searched ALL the FORUMS and the Programming Mystery is still unsolved for the 92-94 Lexus ES300.

I purchased my 1994 Lexus with 1 Key (NOT a remote key). I was told by my local Lexus dealer that they could order a Key and program it. The parts guy said if I would like 2 Remote Keys I would need to order them at the same time or else they won’t work… He gave me the Part # (8970550946R-K) to match my VIN# (JT8GK13T9R0027***) which I confirmed.

The parts guy told me it was complicated to program these and that I would have to schedule an appointment to have the dealer do it…. I didn’t tell him that I work for Honda (we program keys for free)… but the Red Flags went up! ... $$$$$$ ! But he maybe right!

The dealer quoted my $320 for 1 Remote key; cut and programmed… w/ an optional 2nd Remote Key for $125 additional and a 3rd for another $65…. What a racket!

I have a PDF of the actual Lexus Dealer Remote Key Program/Troubleshooting instructions for the 92-96 ES 300 Remote Keys and will gladly send them if it would help to figure this out. I have yet to find anyone who can give me a straight answer.

Here's where I need help!>>>>>>>> and the disconnect, misinformation, lack of information or lack of understanding occurs.

From what I understand and have found in ALL the Forums about Remotes Keys and at www.thepartsyouneed.com.... the 92-96 ES use the same 1 button Remote Key w/ 2 possible FCC ID’s (FCC: HYQWDT-B or HYQ1512A)..... But the actual LEXUS Program/Trouble Shooting instructions mention “NON-PROGRAMMABLE" (Pre-1995) Remote Keys????? and the use of a "ROM Chip" that's on the ECU (mounted in trunk on the driver-side)

This is where I get lost...

First, If I can't program the Remotes... Do they Flash/Reprogram or Replace the ROM Chip on the ECU ?... Second, when the Flash/Reprogram or Replace the ROM Chip; are they matching it to 1 of the 2 alleged FCC ID's? If not, there must be more than 2 FCC ID's.... or else you could open any 92-94 ES with 1of 2 of the Remote Key FCC ID's...

Possible ways to confirm....

1) Information from someone with a 92-94 who has ordered Remote Keys and Programmed them.... SUCCESSFULLY!

2)Maybe someone with a 95-96 ES and someone w/ 92-94 ES could contact their Local Lexus Dealer with their VIN# to let us know if their Replacement Remote Part # matches the one they provided for my VIN# (first paragraph) and provide the FCC ID's on there Remote Keys... to see if they match the Alleged 1 of 2 Remote Key FCC ID's.

3) ????

Has anyone successfully accompished purchasing and Programming "Remote Keys" for a 92-94 ES300 without going to the dealer?

Thanks in advance for any help....
Old 01-30-06, 04:52 AM
93Miata
Driver School Candidate

All I needed was to add remotes to my receiver. I got new units for about 1/3 dealer price for my 96 SC400 & 99 ES300 on -

http://www.ThePartsYouNeed.com

They seem to have remotes & instructions for everything on their site.
Old 01-30-06, 03:22 PM
johhnyb
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I see that many have successfully programmed 95 &96's... but the 92-94 seems to use a ROM chip. They are telling me I need to replace the ECU and the Keys at the same time. (They claim the ECU comes pre-programmed to match the Keys.)

I wonder if I can get a 95-96 ES 300 ECU (that doesn't have a ROM Chip) from a salvage yard and swap them.... and then purchase keys that I can program. ANYONE KNOW IF THE WIRING IS THE SAME AND IF IT WILL PLUG RIGHT IN!!! AFTER ALL THE PROGRAMING INSTRUCTIONS ARE THE SAME.... AND THE ARE SAYING THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THE "ROM CHIP" ON THE ECU.

Anyone have a wiring diagram of the ECU for the 92-96 ES 300?
Old 01-30-06, 04:47 PM
JJG2005
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 93Miata
All I needed was to add remotes to my receiver. I got new units for about 1/3 dealer price for my 96 SC400 & 99 ES300 on -

http://www.ThePartsYouNeed.com

They seem to have remotes & instructions for everything on their site.
Many of the other Lexus remotes do say that they need to be dealer programed on that website
Old 01-31-06, 10:53 AM
johhnyb
Driver School Candidate

I did a little more digging... I called 8 Lexus Dealers and emailed a few yahoo stores...

It's more cost effective and less headache to just install an aftermarket alarm system on the 92-94 ES 300's.... and the aftermarket alarms allow you to "pop the trunk" and "roll windows up/ down" and "Auto Start"...

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 06-29-06, 06:13 PM
rsg
Pole Position

Will these instructions work on a 1994 LS400? My keyless entry (which is integrated into the body of the key) doesn't work, so I tried replacing the battery but it still didn't work.
Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Keyless remote programming