GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Steering wheel is real tight and hard to turn!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-14, 04:18 PM
DWitis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel is real tight and hard to turn!

Hi Lexus Experts!
I have a 1999 GS300 with 121k mileage purchased in Nov 2013. I rarely drive the car, at most 3 times a week. The steering wheel was turning fine when first purchased off previous owner. It was a little loose after making street corner turns. Then suddenly power steering seemed to have died out, it was like a workout to just turn the wheel at an intersection. I thought power steering pump was done for, but I replaced the PS pump with a used OEM pump purchased from Aliga here on the forum. Been doing the turkey baster method of sucking out fluid and putting in recommended ATF fluid in every week. So as of now driving in motion and hitting some gas to the pedal everything seems fine, but only in a stand-still positions like getting ready to parallel park or leaving a parking spot it feels like I am turning a 50 lb steering wheel! Any advices/ideas/suggestions of what can be the cause of this or a fix would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all in advance!
Old 05-17-14, 11:59 AM
Lexusjg1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My power steering pump went out before. When I took it to the shop to have it replaced. They told me there was more than one oem power steering pump made for the 1998-2005 Gs series, and they had to get the correct one. Maybe the one you bought wasn't the correct pump. Just a thought. I never checked my self to see if they made more than one pump, but my car has been fine with the pump installed over five years ago. Maybe you can research that and find out. Hope that helps.
Old 05-17-14, 04:26 PM
tereck
Driver

Originally Posted by DWitis
Hi Lexus Experts!
I have a 1999 GS300 with 121k mileage purchased in Nov 2013. I rarely drive the car, at most 3 times a week. The steering wheel was turning fine when first purchased off previous owner. It was a little loose after making street corner turns. Then suddenly power steering seemed to have died out, it was like a workout to just turn the wheel at an intersection. I thought power steering pump was done for, but I replaced the PS pump with a used OEM pump purchased from Aliga here on the forum. Been doing the turkey baster method of sucking out fluid and putting in recommended ATF fluid in every week. So as of now driving in motion and hitting some gas to the pedal everything seems fine, but only in a stand-still positions like getting ready to parallel park or leaving a parking spot it feels like I am turning a 50 lb steering wheel! Any advices/ideas/suggestions of what can be the cause of this or a fix would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all in advance!
Have u though about the steering rack? I know for sure when the pump goes out u have to replace at the same time the rack and the high pressure line? For prevention a course . When pump goes out its the indication about the system needs attention in general. Good luck
Old 05-17-14, 09:28 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

it's your pump or i think there is a screen in the reservoir that's dirty. so the PS fluid isnt flowing fast enough when your at a stop. that's why when you give it some gas it flows faster and your steering loosens up.
Old 05-17-14, 09:38 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I would switch pumps buddy, sheesh that has to suck...
Old 05-19-14, 11:19 AM
DWitis
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the replies everybody. I had a re-manufactured pump installed once and steering was still tight. Then I went to Aliga and got an used OEM pump, installed that and steering have still been tight. After 2-3 weekly siphon method of the fluid, it is slightly getting better. I had a mechanic tell me it could be the pump as well but also that is is a common problem on the 2nd gen's. He also suggested of installing a PS pump cooler? .. Do anybody have that installed or ever heard of such cooler? I am torn and stuck on this problem and would like to fix this ASAP to prevent any further damage to suspension/steering component.
Old 05-19-14, 02:31 PM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

after gettin my gs shipped here my alignment was a bit off (****ing shipping company) and it made my steering feel heavy. might be something you want to consider

also, i put a magnefilter on my power steering line since the car is gettin old. you might want to consider the same
Old 05-19-14, 02:57 PM
bonesnj0
Rookie

I had same problem changed Fluid it helped then I change Perfect looking belt Bingo fixed!
Old 05-19-14, 04:38 PM
DWitis
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by marshun
after gettin my gs shipped here my alignment was a bit off (****ing shipping company) and it made my steering feel heavy. might be something you want to consider also, i put a magnefilter on my power steering line since the car is gettin old. you might want to consider the same
Car is aging as we are all only getting younger! So adding a magnefilter on the power steering line made your steering wheel feel normal and not tight like trying to turn a hydrant with your bare hands? Which 'line'are you referring to for the filter?

Originally Posted by bonesnj0
I had same problem changed Fluid it helped then I change Perfect looking belt Bingo fixed!
Bones! If u hit BINGO then I would really need that tip that get that FIX! What are u referring to as the 'perfect looking belt'?
Old 05-19-14, 06:26 PM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Car is aging as we are all only getting younger! So adding a magnefilter on the power steering line made your steering wheel feel normal and not tight like trying to turn a hydrant with your bare hands? Which 'line'are you referring to for the filter?
ive done the flush with just pouring through atf and having the return just drain into a bucket. the magnefilter is just insurance. i know i still have the original pump on there too. i just hit 135k so i didnt want to give this thing any reason to quit. plus the filter is 15 bucks. cant go wrong. i got one on the transmission line too

as for the installation. i put it on the return line cause i didnt want any restriction on the fluid going to the pump itself

hope that helps ya out some
Old 08-03-14, 12:03 PM
DWitis
Driver School Candidate

Update to this hard tight steering wheel problem. I have been draining and refilling with ATF fluid anout 4 times. Drove it for a few hundred miles a few days ago and it seems like the steering wheel magically appeared to be back to normal and not hard to turn anymore. Although it does not automatically spin/turn back after a turn, it is differently better than before. However, I do not understand or can compensate an explanation to how and why it came back to normal steering..hmmmmmm
Old 12-03-20, 06:41 PM
gak6
10th Gear

Update to this hard tight steering wheel problem. I have been draining and refilling with ATF fluid anout 4 times. Drove it for a few hundred miles a few days ago and it seems like the steering wheel magically appeared to be back to normal and not hard to turn anymore. Although it does not automatically spin/turn back after a turn, it is differently better than before. However, I do not understand or can compensate an explanation to how and why it came back to normal steering..hmmmmmm
Hey my friend, I know this is an old thread but did you remember having any luck figuring out why the steering wheel doesn't automatically spin/turn back and correct itself after turning? I am facing the same issue and am trying not to just throw random parts at the car.
Thanks!
Old 12-03-20, 07:12 PM
firelizard

Received 421 Likes on 336 Posts

Have you had an alignment done?
Old 12-03-20, 07:27 PM
gak6
10th Gear

I did get an alignment done when I got two new front tires back in April 2020. However, I am sure the alignment could be off now that it has been 8 months. I tried jacking up the car and wiggling the wheel up and down and side to side and did not get any play really, so I am not sure if the ball joints could be going again... I replaced those maybe 5 years ago. My GS is also pulling to the right when braking, which makes me wonder if it is a simple alignment issue or worse... or both :/ Wanted to see if DWitis ended up having a bad rack and pinion in the end or what he replaced to solve the steering issue without just changing the PS fluid. I am looking for some final clues here. & I appreciate your feedback firelizard!

Last edited by gak6; 12-03-20 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-31-23, 10:20 AM
CurlyG
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Please read my post here.
I would take a look at:
  1. See if you have a pretensioner adjustment on your rack. If so, first it is crucial that you make a mark on the current nut position, like at 12 o'clock. Then loosen the large lock nut using an adjustable wrench, and find a large nut that fits inside the large set screw, and rig the nut so you can turn the screw. Turn it clockwise until it stops.
    1. If the nut turns clockwise a lot, like from 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock, you have room to tighten your rack. Also, the rack pretension is not the cause of your tight steering, and adjusting it will likely not help make the steering lighter.
    2. If the screw turns clockwise just a small amount, it is likely adjusted too tight. Backing off the tension (turning the screw counter clockwise) may make the steering easier to turn.
  2. Inspect/replace your upper and lower ball joints. Your wheels turn on the spindle arm, which rests on the upper ball joint, and also rotates on the lower ball joint. If either are in poor condition, they make make the wheels more difficult to turn. If they are in poor condition, they are also likely to fail very soon!
  3. See if your steering column bearing clip has slid down the shaft (see the post linked above).
I'm also about to replace my leaky, groaning power steering pump. All roads seem to lead to lower power steering line pressure, and I'm hoping a new $420 Lexus PS Pump will provide the line pressure needed to lighten up the heaving steering. I will post my result soon.

Last edited by CurlyG; 01-13-24 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Thinking the problem is low power steering line pressure, replacing PS pump soon