ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Windshield issues ???

Old 05-19-14, 08:44 AM
aleksfox
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield issues ???

Bought my 2013 ES 350 September 6, 2013. White exterior, tan interior … all the features I wanted. Fabulous. On March 20, I discovered a 20" horizontal crack across the windshield. Was told that it could have had a chip and then the carwash the day before could have caused the crack due to temperature differences. I am in California. Haven't been to another car wash until I took it in for 5000 mile service on May 17th - which included a wash. Next day … another 15" crack across the windshield starting at the bottom where I could see a chip. What is going on?? Is this a common problem with this make/model? Previously I had an 2000 RX300 and 2004 RX330 in Virginia. I had plenty of rocks come flying at the windshields but never got more than a little mark from them. The ES350 is just 8 months old and just turned 5100 miles. I am at a loss. Comments - advise - suggestions??
Old 05-19-14, 09:02 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

There have been instances in the past, including with the Lexus GX when it was first introduced in 2004, where either a design or production issue has caused windshields to crack. That said, this is the first I've heard of windshield cracks, other than those resulting from an object impacting the windshield, with the 2013-2014 ES.

It is possible for a stone to strike a windshield and, at some later point, have the damage spread from minor damage to a long crack. In fact, a seemingly minor chip that is not repaired immediately is more likely than not eventually to spread into a long crack. If, however, there was a small chip that eventually spread into a long crack, you should still be able to see evidence of the original chip, which should look like a pock mark. If that is the case, your comprehensive insurance coverage should cover replacement of the windshield. Be prepared, however, for the possibility that the insurance company might try to deny the claim because you didn't have the initial chip repaired immediately. On the other hand, if there is no evidence of such a small chip, you should be dealing with Lexus to have them replace the windshield, and, if you can't get help from your dealership in dealing with Lexus, I would suggest contacting Lexus directly (and finding a new dealer).
Old 05-20-14, 06:03 AM
atoyota
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry to hear about your windshield. In addition to what lesz says, the fact that you had a small chip that you did not notice until the second crack formed probably means you had a chip or "flea-bite" that you had not noticed with the other crack too. Windshileds do play a big part in the structural integrity of the of the cabin and there are stresses on the glass at all times. It could be that when the first crack spread it allowed the tensions to change and allowed the second crack to form from the chip and spread. Either way sounds like you will need a new windshield so make sure it is a Lexus OEM windshield. After that, you need to make sure and have a company like Safelite fix any flea-bite or minor cracks immediately. They do it at no out of pocket cost to you as the insurance companies much prefer to fix a windshield than replace it. I have had the minor flea-bites in the past and as lesz says they seem innocent enough but they have cracked in the past (on other Toyota products). I also never follow very close to truck on the highways or interstates anymore. That is just begging for a chip to the windshield.
Old 05-20-14, 09:45 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can't do anything to protect against a chip in the windshield. Cracks on the ES and other new cars aren't common, but as said by others, any chip can propagate into a crack with changes in temp. or flexing of the car. Chips come from flying debris and particularly rocks kicking up from the back of other cars and trucks on the road. I don't think you can hold the dealer accountable for the crack even though it happened after their car wash.
Old 05-20-14, 09:52 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 608 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty101
You can't do anything to protect against a chip in the windshield. Cracks on the ES and other new cars aren't common, but as said by others, any chip can propagate into a crack with changes in temp. or flexing of the car. Chips come from flying debris and particularly rocks kicking up from the back of other cars and trucks on the road. I don't think you can hold the dealer accountable for the crack even though it happened after their car wash.
^^ Agree ^^ This is what insurance is for.
Old 05-21-14, 06:48 AM
aleksfox
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the comments. I actually have excellent insurance and was told having 2 glass claims in 2 months will not affect my rates. I called the Dealership just to inquire if this cracking is common to the ES350 and after a discussion, the Service Department Manager offered to pick up my deductible since the crack appeared after the service/car wash at his shop. I've read plenty of negative comments re Dealers, but I have to say I have always been very satisified with Lexus whether in Virginia or California.
Old 06-23-14, 07:53 AM
renegad44
Driver School Candidate

My wife's ES350 windshield was hit with a rock/pebble about a month ago on the lower passenger side, since than it has run straight across the windshield from the passenger side to past the rear-view mirror on the drivers side. It's been two weeks since I've gone to Safelite Auto Glass and they haven't been able to get a windshield yet. It's a 2013 with rain sensors. Lexus dealership recommends Safelite, so I guess we'll just wait. Insurance claim since they say the windshield will be in the $1500. range. Anyone else having trouble getting a windshield for 2013 with rain-sensors? Seems our lane-sensors are under the door mirrors, one glass place thought they were in the windshield.
Old 06-23-14, 10:09 AM
aleksfox
Driver School Candidate

renegad44 - availability depends on where you live. I had my windshield replaced two times within 2 months and was told it is considered 'limited availability.' That said, I'm in San Diego and got replacements within 2 days. Total cost was more like $2000 each time. Good luck
Old 06-23-14, 05:06 PM
SLH
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty101
You can't do anything to protect against a chip in the windshield. ....
Actually, you can do quite a lot to avoid windshield chips. You cannot completely eliminate the possibility, but you can reduce the probability.

The major thing is: Avoid follow behind large trucks. Dump truck carrying loads of gravel are the worst. Flatbed trailers are almost as bad. But, every kind of large truck can throw gravel at your windshield. If you must follow one, give it an _extra_ _long_ following distance, so the stones can fall to the ground before you get there. Or, if the road is wide enough, move over _two_ lanes to pass. If you must pass a big truck on a narrow highway (fewer than six lanes), hang back until you have a clear shot, then pass quickly and be done with it. The idea is to minimize the amount of time spent within gravel-throwing range.

The same methods also help to avoid chips in your paint.
Old 06-23-14, 07:02 PM
renegad44
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aleksfox
renegad44 - availability depends on where you live. I had my windshield replaced two times within 2 months and was told it is considered 'limited availability.' That said, I'm in San Diego and got replacements within 2 days. Total cost was more like $2000 each time. Good luck
Thanks, but it seems it's going to be a while before one is delivered here in the Deep South. I'm not sure where Safelite got the $1500., but doesn't matter, insurance will handle with my deductible to.

Last edited by renegad44; 06-23-14 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-30-14, 02:06 PM
vanessaw56
Driver School Candidate

Having trouble getting the windshield for ES 350 2014. Dealer reports that windshield is on back order and has no idea when it will be available. I've been waiting for 2 weeks. North Carolina
Old 07-01-14, 10:16 AM
kxaz145
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Curious, did any of you with "stone chips" have them filled/repaired before the cracks started migrating? This used to cost ~$50 years ago with a $20-$30 deductible that a lot of insurance companies waived. My daughter and son in law received a ding on the last trip down to Houston and when we had it repaired the cost was only $20. Windshields are very thin nowadays to save weight and tempurature change/pressure will launch a crack fairly quickly.

JimB
Old 07-03-14, 08:34 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Safelight uses inferior glass. My insurance paid for local indepent on last vehicle, they were easier to deal with and used OEM glass.
Old 07-04-14, 06:35 AM
aleksfox
Driver School Candidate

Since having my windshield replaced twice with under 6k miles, I will now keep a close eye out for chips/dings. I did not see either chip that lead to the big cracks b/c they were way down at the bottom, almost at the very edge of the glass. Which I now know is the weakest part. And unfortunately I drive freeways most of the time; no getting away from large trucks.
Old 07-07-14, 01:12 PM
renegad44
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vanessaw56
Having trouble getting the windshield for ES 350 2014. Dealer reports that windshield is on back order and has no idea when it will be available. I've been waiting for 2 weeks. North Carolina
I talked to my Lexus dealer on Thursday 7/3 and was told they just got a shipment of 'back-ordered" windshields from over a month old. According to my VIN, my windshield is in that shipment. He said they call the Safelite warehouse which picks them up and issues them out to the Safelite dealers...so I would imagine mine will be installed sometimes this week. My dealership is about 85miles from me and the Safelite warehouse is around the corner from them, my installer is up here where I live.

As far as rock chips....we heard a hit, and the next day the crack was at least 18" long, right now the crack spans approximately 2/3 of the windshield.

On my 2011 4Runner, I had to replace the windshield within the first year , the windshield on it now has three chips that have been repaired.

Last edited by renegad44; 07-28-14 at 01:05 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Windshield issues ???