IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Totalled USB after 1 month of ownership :*(

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-14, 03:27 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meh, that will buff right out.

Glad you're ok. It's just a car... you can always get another USB 3IS!
Old 07-05-14, 06:36 PM
viNz86
Rookie

Originally Posted by wednesday
Painful to look at So sorry, I know how it feels because my first Lexus IS that I waited a year to get was hit at 4 months old, by someone running a stop sign. My whole passenger side looked like your car but they wouldn't write it off and repaired it. Sounds like you are not planning on another IS?
Aww that sucks to hear, but glad you are safe. I had replacement insurance and when the body shop (Lexus recommended) they and the insurance company both quoted it to be written off. The damages surpassed the threshold for the "repair amount" which in the end worked out for me. Not stuck with a car with a big claim.
Old 07-05-14, 06:37 PM
viNz86
Rookie

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I'm sorry to see this happened to your USB. It makes me think how this can also happen to mine and how defensive we must be in driving. I'm really glad you're ok and recovering well! I assume the airbags deployed - though not sure I can see them from the pic.

Thanks for posting and keep us abreast on future health and car plans.
Behind the door and fender the frames were damaged/bent. The airbags DID NOT deploy which makes me think "why?" I asked Lexus to look into it, perhaps it could have saved me the concussion / cuts.
Old 07-05-14, 06:39 PM
viNz86
Rookie

Originally Posted by jdot85
Very sad to see man. Good to hear you are recovering fine. Let me know if you will part anything if ICBC determines it's totalled.
Hi Jdot, ICBC did determine it to be totalled. The only item I have is the grimspeed license plate re-locator and an emblem for souvenir. If you are interested in that I haven't put it up for sale yet.
Old 07-05-14, 06:40 PM
viNz86
Rookie

Originally Posted by nosurprise
How fast was the guy going? That looks pretty bad, but at least it's not "it should've killed you" bad
The police issued the other participant a ticket on the spot I am told. We were both in 50 km/hr zones, however he should have been at a stop condition since I had right of way.

I assume he was going about 50 km/hr, I really don't remember too much.
Old 07-05-14, 06:49 PM
viNz86
Rookie

Thank you everyone for the warm wishes! I am still in love with all Lexus'!! It was a dream for me afford one growing up since I laid eyes on the second generation one. Beautiful sedan, Lexus quality and Toyota reliability.

I thought about ordering a new IS350, GS350 or waiting for the RC350, however I feel that I might be too difficult for me "emotionally" to jump back into it. I thought it would bring back bad memories as LAME as it sounds. Perhaps just an excuse to try something else? I wouldn't know until I tried though.

Nonetheless I was in the market again for another car, requirements were RWD and four doors of course.

Lexus IS350
Lexus GS350
Lexus RC350
Infiniti Q50S
Audi A4
Mercedez C300
BMW 335

In the end, I placed a deposit for a 2015 BMW 335 rwd in blue with red interior. The exterior and interior has NOTHING compared to the Lexus. The motor however felt much nicer and responsive (personal opinion). I can't see myself in a BMW, but I did take the plunge and will try it out. It was another special order and will take delivery in September.

Last edited by viNz86; 07-05-14 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-05-14, 11:57 PM
tkr128
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about the accident. I'm glad you're recovering well.

Congrats on the 335i! I gave that car a serious consideration before purchasing the IS. It's definitely a great car. I'm assuming you are going with the M-Sport package to get the Estoril Blue II?
Old 07-06-14, 06:52 AM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by viNz86
Behind the door and fender the frames were damaged/bent. The airbags DID NOT deploy which makes me think "why?" I asked Lexus to look into it, perhaps it could have saved me the concussion / cuts.
I am surprised the side curtain airbag didn't deploy? Mine did, I was sitting in the passenger seat and took a direct hit and was perfectly fine, except a for being extremely pissed off and few months later I started having back problems that I am certain were a result of the accident.

You must have excellent insurance, mine had the front door damaged beyond repair, the back door knocked completely loose from the car (it was pouring rain at the time and the interior got completely flooded but they would not do anything about that) the rear fender shredded and rear tire pushed in, it required removing the entire passenger side, re-welding on a new rear fender and rebuilding everything inside of the rear fender. The insurance company of the jerk that hit me even wanted me to pay for the a new tire for the rear which did NOT happen!

Good luck on the new car!
Old 07-06-14, 10:24 PM
scarboy693
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by viNz86
Thank you everyone for the warm wishes! I am still in love with all Lexus'!! It was a dream for me afford one growing up since I laid eyes on the second generation one. Beautiful sedan, Lexus quality and Toyota reliability.

I thought about ordering a new IS350, GS350 or waiting for the RC350, however I feel that I might be too difficult for me "emotionally" to jump back into it. I thought it would bring back bad memories as LAME as it sounds. Perhaps just an excuse to try something else? I wouldn't know until I tried though.

Nonetheless I was in the market again for another car, requirements were RWD and four doors of course.

Lexus IS350
Lexus GS350
Lexus RC350
Infiniti Q50S
Audi A4
Mercedez C300
BMW 335

In the end, I placed a deposit for a 2015 BMW 335 rwd in blue with red interior. The exterior and interior has NOTHING compared to the Lexus. The motor however felt much nicer and responsive (personal opinion). I can't see myself in a BMW, but I did take the plunge and will try it out. It was another special order and will take delivery in September.

Huh... Kinda funny.. I had a Black 3 series that was totaled in a crash (nailed by drunk) and went to the 3IS. Both Great Cars tho. Glad you're safe and enjoy your new car
Old 07-07-14, 07:23 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

thank God you're alive and ok... cars come and go, but life is priceless. if you're a go getter, go get another USB IS... i would.