RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

KEYs for the SUV

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-03, 07:56 AM
gp1200x
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KEYs for the SUV

I spend a lot of time looking into this and here is some info for those that need new keys or keys cut for your SUV.

I have successfully cut and programmed 7 keys for my SUV using this info. You can purchase keys from this forum when there is a key sale or you can buy keys from various web sites. I found the cheapest web site to be www.chipkeys.com

Keys arrive very quickly, usually within a few days. All RX 300s use the SAME keys.
The remote transponder master key is #8501 and it costs $79.
The non-remote transponder key (useful if you add your own new alarm system with remote starter and separate fob) is #ILCO TOY48BT4 and it costs $19.95.

You can program the keys BEFORE cutting them (Just to be sure they will actually work) using the instructions below. Cutting the keys can be done locally but the locksmith must have the proper milling machine. Many do not. These keys are sometimes referred to as laser cut keys or sidewinder keys. Large cities will definitely have locksmiths that can cut these keys. Expect to pay $35. Find another locksmith if they charge more. Some locksmiths may be able to cut the key via the VIN number. Web sites can cut the keys for you such as http://www.lvsales.com/lvsqcode.htm and there are many others. Search on "laser cut keys locksmith services".

Lexus 1999-2003 RX 300 Key Programming - For NEW UNCUT KEYS
Process works with all keys - remotes, valet, non-remotes

1. Enter the car with a working pre-programmed key and close all doors. Simultaneously depress and release both the brake and the accelerator pedals.
2. Within 5 seconds, insert the working pre-programmed key into the ignition. DO NOT TURN THE KEY.
3. Within 15 seconds of inserting the ignition key, depress and release the accelerator pedal 5 times.
4. Within 20 seconds, depress and release the brake pedal 6 times.
5 Within 10 seconds, remove the working pre-programed key from the ignition.
6. Within 10 seconds, completely cover the remote head off the pre-programmed key with aluminum foil, hold the head of the new unprogrammed and uncut key next to the pre-progammed key head and insert the pre-programmed key back into the ignition.
7. Depress and release the accelerator pedal one time. The security light should now begin flashing to indicate that the computer is reading the new key and programming the system.
8. Leave the pre-programmed key in the ignition for at least 60 seconds with the new unprogrammed key head still next to this covered pre-programmed key head. When the security light stops flashing, the programming process should be complete.
9. Test the new, uncut key. Place the pre-programmed key (still covered with the aluminum foil) into the ignition and verify that the SUV will not start since the transponder signal cannot be read. Remove the key and place the newly programmed uncut key next to the covered pre-programmed key head and insert the cut key into the ignition again. Turn the key and see if the SUV starts. If it does the new uncut key has been successfully programmed into the vehicle's electronics.
10. If this is a new remote master key, test the remote functions on the new key head also.

Lexus 1999-2003 RX 300 Key Programming - For NEW CUT KEYS

1. Enter the car with a working pre-programmed key and close all doors. Simultaneously depress and release both the brake and the accelerator pedals.
2. Within 5 seconds, insert the working pre-programmed key into the ignition. DO NOT TURN THE KEY.
3. Within 15 seconds of inserting the ignition key, depress and release the accelerator pedal 5 times.
6. Within 10 seconds, insert the pre-programmed key back into the ignition.
7. Depress and release the accelerator pedal one time. The security light should now begin flashing to indicate that the computer is reading the new key and programming the system.
8. Leave the new key in the ignition for at least 60 seconds. When the security light stops flashing, the programming process should be complete.
9. Test the new key. Place the key into the ignition and verify that the SUV will start.
10. If this is a new remote master key, test the remote functions on the new key.
Attached Thumbnails KEYs for the SUV-key-list.jpg  
Old 03-17-03, 05:16 PM
ederny
Pole Position

Default Good info...

...and for about the same price, you can order a pre cut key (so you you don't have to find a locksmith and hope he does it right) which is precut to your vehicle by VIN number from www.lexus-parts.com . There non-remote master pre cut is $46. Look under Accessories > Keys and when you get them you can program the vechiles ECM to learn the keys transponder code as in the above (last proceedure). Good Luck programming!

Last edited by ederny; 03-17-03 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-20-03, 06:51 PM
slowtan
Driver

Will the pre-cut key open the door and start the car ?? I just need another key to start the car with ..

I just bought my RX and it only came with 1 master key and a credit card key/emergency key.

Stephen
Old 03-21-03, 12:59 PM
gp1200x
Rookie

Yes,
The precut key will open the doors and turn in the ignition but you will need to program the ECM before it will start the vehicle. Just follow the instructions I listed above. Programming the ECM requires the new key, vehicle and old master remote key.
Old 12-21-05, 10:43 AM
pjsicon
Driver School Candidate

Default Lost Keyless Remotes

i HAVE NO KEYLESS REMOTES FOR MY 2002 rx-300, COACH EDITION. i ONLY HAVE A VALET KEY. IS IT POSSIBLE TO PROGRAM A NEW KEYLESS REMOTE?
Old 02-06-06, 09:46 PM
roccomusic
Driver School Candidate

Default It worked half-way.

Originally Posted by gp1200x
I spend a lot of time looking into this and here is some info for those that need new keys or keys cut for your SUV.

I have successfully cut and programmed 7 keys for my SUV using this info. You can purchase keys from this forum when there is a key sale or you can buy keys from various web sites. I found the cheapest web site to be www.chipkeys.com

Keys arrive very quickly, usually within a few days. All RX 300s use the SAME keys.
The non-remote transponder key (useful if you add your own new alarm system with remote starter and separate fob) is #ILCO TOY48BT4 and it costs $19.95.

You can program the keys BEFORE cutting them (Just to be sure they will actually work) using the instructions below. Cutting the keys can be done locally but the locksmith must have the proper milling machine. Many do not. These keys are sometimes referred to as laser cut keys or sidewinder keys. Large cities will definitely have locksmiths that can cut these keys. Expect to pay $35. Find another locksmith if they charge more. Some locksmiths may be able to cut the key via the VIN number. Web sites can cut the keys for you such as http://www.lvsales.com/lvsqcode.htm and there are many others. Search on "laser cut keys locksmith services".

6. Within 10 seconds, completely cover the remote head off the pre-programmed key with aluminum foil, hold the head of the new unprogrammed and uncut key next to the pre-progammed key head and insert the pre-programmed key back into the ignition.
8. Leave the pre-programmed key in the ignition for at least 60 seconds with the new unprogrammed key head still next to this covered pre-programmed key head. When the security light stops flashing, the programming process should be complete.
9. Test the new, uncut key. Place the pre-programmed key (still covered with the aluminum foil) into the ignition and verify that the SUV will not start since the transponder signal cannot be read. Remove the key and place the newly programmed uncut key next to the covered pre-programmed key head and insert the cut key into the ignition again. Turn the key and see if the SUV starts. If it does the new uncut key has been successfully programmed into the vehicle's electronics.
10. If this is a new remote master key, test the remote functions on the new key head also.

8. Leave the new key in the ignition for at least 60 seconds. When the security light stops flashing, the programming process should be complete.
9. Test the new key. Place the key into the ignition and verify that the SUV will start.
10. If this is a new remote master key, test the remote functions on the new key.

I just followed these instructions with my new cut key from Lexus. I have a 2002 RX300 Coach Edition. My new key will now open the door by inserting it, and will start the vehicle, but the remote functions don't work. That's cool, though, at least now I have a spare. The only bummer is that this cool trick I heard about won't work...

I heard that if you lock your keys in the car, and someone at another location has a spare with a working remote, they can hold the key against a telephone, and on the other end, you hold your cell phone a couple feet from the car, that it will unlock your doors. I have yet to try this (because I can't), but theoretically it makes sense, since the remotes work with RF (radio frequencies), which are just very high-pitched sounds.

If anyone tries it, let us know if it works or doesn't.

Also, if anyone knows how I can get my new remote to work, please let me know.

Thanks a lot!
Old 05-01-06, 08:25 PM
Lex Luthr
Driver School Candidate

I just picked up a truck with only the spare key myself. I am looking to pick up a precut and remote. The lexus-parts link above has no lnk to lexus rx300 4x4...only the 4x2...wierd

can someone tell me the best way to get a new setup?

chipkeys.com also does not seem to have these balnks in stock anymore...
Old 05-02-06, 04:09 PM
mwbuck
Driver

i only have a spare for my rx300 as well....any advice?
Old 08-22-08, 05:51 PM
stvcramer
Driver School Candidate

Default Un-Cut Key Programming Instructions

Originally Posted by gp1200x

I had trouble with STEP 6 above. I tried several times with no success. So here's what I did instead.
First I removed the electronics from the un-cut key and placed it on the seat next to me in the car. I also removed the back on the pre-programmed cut key so I could easliy remove the electronics. At STEP 6 I removed the electronics from the pre-programmed cut key and inserted the electronics from the un-cut key into the shell of the cut key and re-inserted the key back into the ignition. I then continued with the rest of the steps listed above minus use of the aluminum foil. I was able to program the ECU the first time.
Old 08-24-08, 12:47 PM
chenxingha
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I recently purchased a remote key shell and cut from the following vender

http://stores.ebay.com/Transponder-island

I am very satisfied with their product and service. I sent them a picture of my master key. They can also take the VIN, if you don't have the key code, which should be recorded on the credit-card key holder.
Old 09-01-09, 07:36 PM
kurtdaniel
Driver School Candidate

nice thread..im so much interested with this keys..
Old 04-07-10, 10:25 AM
mcramton
Driver School Candidate

I have a question about step No. 6 below: Should it be the NEW UN-PROGRAMMED key that is inserted at this point? If not, should the new key just be present in the vehicle?

Old 05-01-10, 08:48 PM
Dschroder
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcramton
I have a question about step No. 6 below: Should it be the NEW UN-PROGRAMMED key that is inserted at this point? If not, should the new key just be present in the vehicle?
Yes, you insert the new key for step 6. I found these instructions for my wifes new RX300, thanks to all that have contributed!
Old 07-17-10, 12:17 PM
nporter
Driver School Candidate

Thank you so much for clarifying step #6. I was wondering when to switch the keys and was about to post on a forum here. But I went back to original post and then found your followup. GReat....hope this works now.
Old 07-28-10, 01:02 PM
TGABBY01
Driver School Candidate

Hello i have lexus rx300 when i bought it i was only given the valet keyy i want another key. But im have the hardest time im not sure which site i can trust.lexus want $269 just for the key not includeding programing. Please someone help me i wantted the swichblade hey can these coding systems work on that key as well

Quick Reply: KEYs for the SUV